Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

14 year old boy charged with sharing 13 year old girl's racy phone photo

fistfullofsteel

Boy charged with sharing girl's racy phone photo

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

BY BILL SWAYZE
Star-Ledger Staff

It was going to be their secret -- a 13-year-old girl's portrait of her bare chest, snapped in a Hanover Township school bathroom on a cell phone camera borrowed from the intended recipient, a 14-year-old boy.

But authorities say the boy shared the photo by sending it to his buddies via cell phone. That action triggered a police investigation, and although the girl willingly took the picture in September, the boy now stands accused of violating her privacy.

Hanover Detective Earle Seely, who investigated, said yesterday the crime was committed when the boy pushed "send" and transmitted the image.

The Sept. 28 incident should serve as an alarm to parents of teens, Seely said.

"And not only about what they are doing with cell phones, but what they are doing in the privacy of their own bedrooms with computer Web cams," he said. "Parents need to wise up."

If found guilty, the boy faces probation, community service and fines.

The school district declined to discuss the case. The teens' parents also did not want to comment, police said.

Legal experts and police say what happened at Hanover's Memorial Junior School is occurring more frequently.

The problem is teens are technology savvy, but they don't have a real concept of personal privacy and are "extremely open when it comes to personal information. Just look at MySpace and Facebook Web sites," said Grayson Barber, a Princeton attorney and privacy expert.

Barber even pointed to a recent high-profile Hollywood incident in which nude photos of Vanessa Hudgens, star of the Disney's "High School Musical," wound up on the Internet.

Experts say while teens are used to posting personal information about who they are, their musical tastes and personal preferences, they can go overboard without realizing the consequences.

In the Hanover case, the girl's use of the cell phone camera "was a dumb thing to do. As stupid as that may have been, she had a reasonable expectation of privacy," Barber said.

Eugene O'Donnell, a professor of law and police studies at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, agreed.

"This is not a case of boys will be boys," he said. "What happened was a violation of law."

Rockaway Borough and Roxbury police have investigated claims of cell phone cameras capturing sex acts among teens.

In Rockaway, Detective Kyle Schwarzmann said claims of improper cell phone camera use were at the heart of a six-month investigation last year into alleged off-campus sexual assaults involving students and recent graduates of Morris Knolls High School.

One claim was made by a 16-year-old girl who said she was assaulted during a party at a Rockaway business, local police said. Three other girls made similar claims, saying they were sexually assaulted by a group of boys in Rockaway Township and Parsippany, police said.

Investigators, however, were unable to confirm the allegations when no one would produce the videos, and no charges were filed.

The line between what kids can and can't do with technology isn't always clear to children, Schwarzmann said.

"Kids need to know what is legal and illegal, and that comes down to the parents," he said. "We can't give teens this type of technology without telling them what they can and can't do."

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-12/119441813895980.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

i don't see how he violated her privacy.. I do see how he broke a verbal contract with her, and since his parents are financially responsible for all civil lawsuits resulting from the child's actions that should be the recourse.

SpyWizard said:
i don't see how he violated her privacy.. I do see how he broke a verbal contract with her, and since his parents are financially responsible for all civil lawsuits resulting from the child's actions that should be the recourse.

The child naively sent an image to the boy thinking that only HE would have access to it. Sorta like the way many females (and males) on elite have sent compromising photos to other board members thinking that those images would not be shared with others without their knowledge or consent.

That is a violation of privacy and a lesson hard-learned for both parties involved. If only more parents took the time to actually talk to their kids and actually LISTEN when the kids talked back, stuff like this wouldn't happen so often if ever, at all.

Mavafanculo said:
chicks on EF send around nudies? huh.

Oi.... you know it. I believe the most infamous was the bush pic from Smallmovesall. I can't believe someone so bright could be THAT naive.

What a great legal system we have.

"Hey girls! Make terrible decisions and we'll protect you!!!!! YAY!!!"

BIKINIMOM said:
Oi.... you know it. I believe the most infamous was the bush pic from Smallmovesall. I can't believe someone so bright could be THAT naive.

Bush? It was more like the entire forest.... :)

I think her mom should spend more time with her.

She probably spends too much time trying to/banging Java.

Top Bottom