Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is it possible to burn fat while bulking?

dont "attempt" 300 grams of protein, actually eat it or more! yeah i know it sucks but do it, every night before bed eat 2lbs of not fat cottage cheese, about 120 grams of protein....

Given the amount of AAS that you're taking it is 'possible' gain less fat than someone not using AAS. And given that you're not even certian of your %bf or how much of what gear your using etc.... it's all academic. I was merely observing that at 15%bf you might consider cutting first, then adding muscle.

rex racer: The article that that info was taken from was a review article encompassing the last 10 years of research, including Forbes' own work on identical twins (therefore controlling for different body types and metabolism), as well as studies on other mammals (again using inbred animals to control for genetic and metabolic differences).

Hoffmeister: Of course the predictive equation uses absolute fat. I'm not sure how that differs from leaness?? This is a conceptual problem that I've noticed a lot of females have. They gain 20 lbs but are amazed that their PERCENT bodyfat has dropped. In reality they still have just as much fat as before (or even more), it's just a smaller proportion of their total weight on the scales comes from fat. Many bodybuilders also make this confusion when calculation LBM gains (assuming it's muscle) without factoring in the water component. Post competition is a classic example, but androgenic AAS cycles, high carb diets etc... also have this effect.

In summary, the last decade of research on large numbers of people of all ages, genders, activity level and body types (and other animals) indicate that it is easier to gain a greater % LBM if you start from lean, and you're more likely to gain fat if you 'bulk' when you're not already lean. The converse is true for dieting. 15%bf is not considered 'lean' for a male, but no one has done studies on AAS use for 15% bf males bulking (outside of the anabolic discussion boards LOL).

But since this is all academic and you're intent on gaining some mass with minimal fat on an AAS cycle, then the answer is train heavy, keep your protein intake high and avoid processed carbs. Keep the fats as clean as possible and incorporate some moderate cardio 2-3 times per week. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

MS, I wasn't questioning the overall application of the studies.

But the example, while admittedly extreme, I think illustrates how absolute weight differs from "leanness".

A 300 lbs man at 10% would be considered at least somewhat "lean".

A 150 lbs man at 20% definitely would NOT.

Yet the equation would predict the SAME percentage of LBM gain.

I see what you're saying Hoffmeister. It is only a predictive equation, but drawn from a lot of individual measurements. Though your example is an extreme one, it illustrates pretty well what we know in the real world (eg a pro male BB at 300lbs and 10%bf). The closer you get to your absolute physical limit of muscle hypertrophy, the harder it becomes to gain additional LBM. This is why the top pro BBs aren't increasing in muscle mass (even with all the AAS they use) as much as the 150lb/20%bf 18 year old male who's just discovered good nutrition and weight training.
Like all predictive equations (such as how to calculate %bf from skinfold measurements) it is not without error, but it can be used to create general guidelines for when to diet and when to bulk for optimal results.

Bulk

Just Bulk!!! Eat tons of clean food, shit eat little children if they walk by and you need calories. Right now I am bulking, with about 4,000 cal. Mostly from lean red meat, chicken, nat. peanut butter, multi grain bread, mashed potatoes, yams, brown rice and multi grain bread! When I diet I will be doing fourteen weeks of nothing but cod and brown rice and some egg whites! Five days a week I will eat two pounds of cod and two bags of rice w/tomatoe puree (apr. 2000 cal) 2 days a week I will carb deplete and eat four pounds of cod and 18 egg whites!! plus metamucil so I can shit!! For now I am GROWING and EATING thats why its called bulking!!!

Okay I'm 170 lbs. and 8.4% bf. That's a little more than 14 lbs of fat. Should I bulk yet or get down to 5% first and then bulk? Also if it matters my age is 30 years old.

Heck, at ~8%bf you're in prime condition for bulking. You could 'bulk' up to ~12%bf and prolly gain a heap of muscle, then cut back down again. No way would I recommend a guy who is over 12-15%bf to consider bulking first, but I know some guys just wanna be big no matter what. Ultimately it comes down to personal choice. But make your choices educated!

Top Bottom