Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Avocados

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Full of fats ?
bad for your arteries ?
tasty ?
read that one :

For as long as he can remember, George Bliss, age 81, has been eating avocados morning, noon, and night. A second-generation California avocado farmer, Bliss loves the fruits of his labor. "I eat three avocados a day," he says with the fervor of a true addict. "I have one on my eggs in the morning, one in my salad at noon, and one with my dinner."

Partaking of his land's bounty doesn't seem to have done Bliss any harm. After eight decades of daily avocado consumption, he's still going strong; at 6 feet tall, he weighs a trim 180 pounds. He believes that he has avocados to thank for his good health. "I'm still living and I'm over 80," he says. "I do some exercise on a bicycle, and I walk through the orchards keeping up with my business. I don't need a cane or anything." And sure, Bliss says, his green globes might be a bit fatty, but that's no reason to fear them.

It's true that avocados are high in fat -- one reason they've earned the nickname "butter pear." A medium-sized avocado contains 30 grams of fat, as much as a quarter-pound burger. That's why diet experts have long urged Americans to go easy on avocados in favor of less fatty fruits and vegetables. But now nutritionists are taking another look. They're finding that most of the fat in an avocado is monounsaturated -- the "good" kind that actually lowers cholesterol levels. Thanks to this new understanding, the U.S. government recently revised its official nutrition guidelines to urge Americans to eat more avocados.

High in the Good Fat

The avocado's image first took on some polish with a 1996 study by researchers at the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social in Mexico (Archives of Medical Research, Winter 1996) that looked at the health benefits of daily avocado consumption. The 45 volunteers who ate avocados every day for a week experienced an average 17% drop in total blood cholesterol. Their cholesterol ratio also changed in a healthy way: Their levels of LDL (low-density lipoprotein, or "bad fat") and triglycerides, both associated with heart disease, went down. Their HDL (high-density lipoprotein, or "good fat") levels, which tend to lower the risk of heart disease, climbed.

Researchers have also discovered that avocados are rich in beta-sitosterol, a natural substance shown to significantly lower blood cholesterol levels. In a review article published in the December 1999 issue of the American Journal of Medicine, researchers pointed out that beta-sitosterol was shown to reduce cholesterol in 16 human studies.

Everything in Moderation

Sneaking monounsaturated fats into your own daily diet may allow you to enjoy similar health benefits, says Melanie Polk, a registered dietitian and director of nutrition education at the American Institute for Cancer Research in Washington, D.C. Used creatively, she says, avocados can add variety -- and good nutrition -- to your diet. Instead of spreading butter or cream cheese on your bread or bagel, use some mashed avocado instead. Replace that mayo you'd usually put on a sandwich with avocado slices. You'll not only save calories, you'll be cutting out saturated fat and increasing your daily intake of monounsaturated fat as well.

But before you pile avocados onto every dish, remember that when it comes to calories, avocados have lots of them -- because of all that fat. Fat of any type has double the calories of the same amount of carbohydrates, says Polk. "Avocados add great variety to a well balanced, low-fat diet, but you have to eat them in moderation."

A recommended serving size is 2 tablespoons, or roughly one-sixth of a medium-sized avocado. Each serving provides 5 grams of fat and 55 calories. Still, compared with butter or mayonnaise -- which each pack 22 fat grams and 200 calories in a 2-tablespoon serving -- they don't seem so bad.

Bump this up! Guacamole rules on just about everything. Avocado (good for ya), raw garlic (good for ya), and fresh lemon juice (good for ya).

The problem I have with avocados, Guacamole and good fat is simply total calories add up and total calories will result in getting fat.

It is hard for me to manage my total calories and balance protien, carbs and fats.

coconut oil is mostly saturated
and thought to be the worse for your health
but recent studies have shown that coconut oil, in moderate amounts, is beneficial and should be taken with poly-unsaturated oils (flax for ex)

NO

coconut (either as coconut meat, coconut cream, coconut milk, or coconut oil) has no cholesterol. Coconuts also are low in other necessary nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. What coconut products do have is fat.

The fat in coconut oil is made up of triglyceride molecules. A triglyceride molecule, in turn, is made up of three fatty acids attached to a backbone.

Fatty acids consist of chains of carbon atoms linked together in a chain. Chain lengths can differ: fatty acids come in short chains (3 to 4 carbons), medium chains (6 to 12 carbons), and long chains (14 or more carbons). The majority of fatty acids in coconut products are medium chain fatty acids, with12 carbons in each chain.

Fatty acids can also be saturated or unsaturated, with saturated fatty acids forming stiff straight chains, and unsaturated fatty acids forming more bent chains. The fatty acids in coconut oil are saturated.

By the way, when you look up a food in the USDA food composition databases, you can recognize the types of fatty acids because they are written by using two numbers separated by a colon, like this: 12:0. The first number refers to the number of carbon atoms in the fatty acid -- in this example, 12. The second number refers to the number of unsaturated bonds between the carbon atoms. In this fatty acid, also called lauric acid, there are no unsaturated bonds between the carbons, so the second number is "0."

Both animal studies and most human studies suggest that eating the fatty acids in coconuts and coconut oil increases cholesterol levels, and in particular, the levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, aka "bad cholesterol." Therefore the American Dietetic Association recommends that you limit the amount of coconut oil you eat. However, recent work on proteins in coconut suggests that coconut protein may undo the bad effects of coconut oil. These results remain to be confirmed, but may help to explain why certain groups of people who eat large amounts of coconut meat do not have as severe problems with cholesterol as one might expect, gien the amount of coconut oil they eat with the meat. A subject for further research and investigation!

Top Bottom