Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Workouts for 60+

muscelove

This may be in the wrong section. If so please move. My dad is 63. Hes has become interested in working out becasue he has lost his strength and doenst like the changes hes goin thru. What type of workouts are people his age doing and getting good results. I was thinking getting him on a powerlifting routine to maybe boost hormone levels and such.

I would have him work out just like anyone else... say a M,W,F routine.. Monday..Back and biceps (Deadlifts, seated rows, dumbell curls then wrist curls All exercises 3 sets of 8 reps after warm ups except for Wrist Curls.. 3 sets of 15) Wednesday Chest, shoulders and Tri's.... Bench, Flyes, Dumbell Military press, Skull crush into a burn out set of pushdowns.. again all done with 3 sets of 8 reps. Fri Legs..... Squats (yes Squats... use it or lose it) then either Leg Presses or Lunges(mix it up) then onto Toe raises or Toe Presses... again 3 sets of 8 except for Toe raises/presses.. 3 sets of 15 On off days some light cardio. Keep a training log (VERY IMPORTANT) and be consistant... Tell your dad good luck!!

Most of my inspirations were from the older crowd at the racquetball club i started at. I remember clearly how strong many of them were, so 60 years is not that big of a hurdle. Good luck to both of you!

Navada said:
Most of my inspirations were from the older crowd at the racquetball club i started at. I remember clearly how strong many of them were, so 60 years is not that big of a hurdle. Good luck to both of you!

Some of the meanest, strongest guys i know are in their 60's. Scary fuggers that still bench 400+. Squat 500+. etc. Been lifting since the Eisenhower Administration !!!!! :qt:

YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD.

This is an interesting subject for me. I am 74, and have been weight training since August 2005. I am squatting 217, bench 108, press 77, and barbell rows 119 pounds. I use a power rack. I have added 24 pounds of muscle, and lost a lot of fat. And I feel great. I am currently doing Pavel's version of the 5x5x5, and am enjoying it.

Stuart McRobert estimates 8-10% strength loss every 5 years beyond 35. If that is approximately correct, then I am meeting what he calls "outstanding" goals for weight lifting. Anyone know how to estimate this?

MindanaoMike said:
This is an interesting subject for me. I am 74, and have been weight training since August 2005. I am squatting 217, bench 108, press 77, and barbell rows 119 pounds. I use a power rack. I have added 24 pounds of muscle, and lost a lot of fat. And I feel great. I am currently doing Pavel's version of the 5x5x5, and am enjoying it.

Stuart McRobert estimates 8-10% strength loss every 5 years beyond 35. If that is approximately correct, then I am meeting what he calls "outstanding" goals for weight lifting. Anyone know how to estimate this?

Don't know how to measure it. Too many variables. I presume you do not use anything like testoterone therapy or hormone replacement therapy. But they would give you additional lean muscle mass.

I question Mr. McRoberts theory. He must mean losses for people who DO NOT lift weights.
I'm Over 50 and can lift more now than I could at 30. BUT, I have lifted religelously for the last 4 or 5 years.

Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up! You might want to look into HRT with your doctor. Brother, YOU WILL FEEL GREAT!

I am 63. As many know, I am on HRT with test, hgh and a-dex. I also do at least 4 cycles a year with the usual suspects of test p/c/e, deca, naps.

I have used every training scheme and routine ever thought of. I've settled into a 3 day on, rest day, 3 day on, 2 rest day sequence.
Day 1 is push
Day 2 is legs and abs
Day 3 is pull

The individual exercises are all the standards you would see in an Arnold routine. The sets and reps are 3-4 X 6-8.

I recommend this routine for men my age. Just adjust the sets, reps and weights for the limitations of the person.

And please include diet and recovery and some light aerobics with stretching.

This takes a person about an hour a day.

Top Bottom