Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bone Density

Stefka

I know that a lot of women here maintain a rather low body fat percentage. And some of you have lost your periods.
Do you have dexa scans to monitor if any bone loss is occurring?
Is there a way to preserve bone mass while maintaining a very low body fat percentage?

Actually, most women here do not MAINTAIN a low BF%. Even most of the competitors here maintain a "healthy" BF% when off season. Is actually quite rare to maintain "very low BF" as a female.

The more weight bearing activities the better (includes weight training) and eating a high calcium diet. If you are eating high protein, make sure water intake is VERY HIGH.

So I've heard here that most women don't lose their periods (and thus risk bone loss) till they are at around 12% bf. But some doctors have warned me that going under 20% for an extended period of time is detrimental to my bone density.
I'm sure that the weight bearing exercises and nutrient rich diets put most of you at a great advantage as far as bone mass is concerned.
I have a feeling that most BB, figure, fitness women do not have a huge problem with osteoperosis (unlike in dance - which is my background) but I really was curious if anyone here ever got tested to see how their diet/training affected their bone density.

Bullshit. Going under 20% is not bad. Everyone loses their periods at differnet points - some can even lose it around 16%, some not until they are 8% or lower. Some don't lose it at all - even during contest prep. It is individual.

I've *never* lost my period....hmpf!

I also just recently read that "high impact activities and weight training offer more potent stimulation because of the higher loads they provide bones."

You're talking about Female Athlete Triad. The one good thing about physique competition is that there is a recognized on-season & off-season. If you are competiting in several shows back to back then it can take its toll keeping your bodyfat below 10-12%. But generally, physique competitors EXPECT to spend 12-16 weeks cutting down, staying at below 12% for maybe 8 weeks, down below 10% for maybe 2 weeks, and then blowing back up to around 15% within a week or two after the competition - i.e. you EXPECT to rebound. You DON"T maintain silly low bodyfat levels like dance, cheerleading, gymnastics and other performance sports seem to require - its really sad actually. The low bodyfat has very little to do with the sport you are involved in but rather because it is "female" and is supposed to look "feminine", the media, the audience, "society" puts that extra pressure on the athletes to "be skinny" - which of course is completely self-defeating because the "look" completely goes against the needs of the body to perform in the sport. REALLY sad IMO.

Here's an excerpt from a thread about physique competitions w/ some articles:

1b) Menstrual irregularity - this is not limited to competition prep, but is definitely an expected part of it. The specific caues of it is not clearly known, but it is a common occurrence within female atheletes. It is associated with a change / increase in exercise, very low bodyfat and use of AAS. In my experience, my period has been interrupted when I hit about 11% bodyfat during competition prep. It returns within 1-2 months after my show date. (Note: I've been off birth control for every one of my contest experiences.) I'm including a couple articles about so you can at least be aware of this:

Female Athletes & Mentrual Irregularities:
http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/volk/female-athletes-and-menstrual-irregularities.htm

Female Athelete Triad:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000601/3357.html
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/07_96/smith.htm
http://familydoctor.org/599.xml

Im a low density waiting to happen....Im 24.5%...BUT I have been using steriods (inhaled) for years and I have a huge famliy history of it...Both Aunts have osteporosis and my mom's is lower even though she exercises all the time....I try to eat my calium and take extra. It just kills my stomach

I was diagnosed with osteopenia when I was 21. Even that didnt scare me into stopping the crazy things I was doing.
Thanks for the articles Sassy.

Stefka said:
I was diagnosed with osteopenia when I was 21. Even that didnt scare me into stopping the crazy things I was doing.
Thanks for the articles Sassy.
Stefka, did you develop this from the eating disorder issue?

*Bunny* said:
Stefka, did you develop this from the eating disorder issue?
Yes. Eating disorders, dancing, not having my period for a couple of years.
I went on BC pills after I was diagnosed and my periods started comming regularly.
I'm 26 now and havent had a follow up DEXA. I will when I have insurance that doesnt suck.

Top Bottom