Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

At what point do you retire?

Fast Twitch Fiber

I'm 31 and have been competing since I was 16. My body is starting to feel the effects of it. I have knee problems, rotator cuff problems, low back problems and many other nagging injuries. My squat workout this week hurt so bad I couldn't take it. My knees make a grinding sound and they pop when I walk down stairs. It hurts when I squat down even without any weight. At what point does one say enough and just quit? I'm getting to the point that powerlifting is no longer enjoyable. I've always liked lifting heavy and being stronger than guys that were a lot bigger than me but I'm just not sure it's worth the pain any longer. Are there any retired plifters here?

I think if it's to the point that you don't enjoy it anymore, it's time to stop....have you looked into any kind of therapy or treatment?

I'm trying glucosamine right now. I've heard it's good for your joints. I'm not sure if it will work. I've been considering a lengthy layoff. Maybe that will let my body heal. My problem with layoffs is that I get depressed mentally.

Well, then just do something different for a while...don't stop lifting completely, just change your split around, and do things that don't hurt.

Glucosamine's a good idea, as is a trip to the chiropractor, if you haven't been already.

maybe try a more relaxed routine for a few months rather than laying off. Even though you're obviously not a bodybuilder, you could do a cycle or 2 of HST since it's high reps and submaximal weight most of the time, with 3 relatively short workouts a week.

And as the Tick said, you should definately put more effort into fixing your aches.

Good luck!

fast twitch, i am ten years older than you and injury free. i don't think it is your age...maybe you just need a good rest. it will not be the end of the world if you take some time off from thte gym and let your body repair itself. we are all looking for the miracle cure but time and rest should do wonders for you.

I have heard good things about glucosamine... also yes- you should spend more time learning about things you can do for maximum recovery from those accumulating aches and pains....

as for retirement - it is time to retire when they put your cold dead body into the ground....

for real tho - there is this guy one of my training buddies knows of who squats in the neighborhood of 700... at an age of about 70 years old...

Thats a personal choice. If you no longer enjoy it or if you feel its cutting into your quality of life- then don't compete anymore. You can still lift weights, but with less motivation you might find yourself much more relaxed and in turn, enjoy it more.
Take a few weeks off- it won't hurt your strength in the long run and it will give you time to recover and decide.

w8lifterchick said:
Thats a personal choice. If you no longer enjoy it or if you feel its cutting into your quality of life- then don't compete anymore. You can still lift weights, but with less motivation you might find yourself much more relaxed and in turn, enjoy it more.
Take a few weeks off- it won't hurt your strength in the long run and it will give you time to recover and decide.

Good point about enjoying it more if you arent competing, but lifting for the sake of just lifting.

Top Bottom