Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strongman Training...

Lee

Just curious what some main lifts are for strongman without the strongman equipment? I wanna start aiming my training towards strongman but cant afford logs, tires, stones, and other strongman stuff. B Fold, your advice would be great.

Until B Fold gets here, you might want to try some of the links they have in the Strongman Information Center sticky found in the Strongman Forum. They have a bit of everything thing there- getting started in strongman, events training, sample training schedules, stuff you can do w/o equipment, etc.

The basic weight program isn't too different from any good strength training regimin. They do the basics, like box squats, overhead pesses,etc. along with the usual assistance work- dumbell cleans, zercher squats, GMs,and so forth. The major difference is that they have specific event training, the same way a powerlifter would train for bench/squat/deadlift. This has to be integrated into your program in order to progress. A lot of equipment can be improvised- wheelbarrows, old oversized tires, beer kegs filled with water, and I'm sure much more.

I just remembered a recent article from elitefts- Blue Collar Strongman Training by Josh Henkin, who is an emerging Strongman competitor:

Blue Collar Strongman Training

I believe this can give you a good idea on how to get started.

Actually, how difficult is it to scavenge for some Strongman stuff? I mean, you have a car you can push, find something odd shaped and heavy to put over your head, and try and deadlift said car ;-). I would like to add some stuff in also, mainly for my grip. A friend on a ranch is bringing me a tractor tire, and I'll attach a chain to it so I can drag it around. Some really heavy/thick ropes would be nice, like the Navy kind. Just barely big enough to wrap your hand around.

In the gym our lifts revolve around the deadlift, over head jerk, clean, squat, and good morning. We also may mix in some farmers, yoke, and stones after the gym workout. Sundays are event day and obviously we train the events that are in our next competiton.

Lee said:
Just curious what some main lifts are for strongman without the strongman equipment? I wanna start aiming my training towards strongman but cant afford logs, tires, stones, and other strongman stuff. B Fold, your advice would be great.

Do you have the idea to compete someday?

Where do you live (PM me if you wish)? Maybe I can find someone to help you out.

Focus on squats, deads, and overhead press. You can get tires for free, rock quarry stones, kegs, farmers bars with ez-curl bars, and soooo many other creative ideas.

Top Bottom