Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

rest pause

ZGzaZ

can someone explain to me please? The way I thought of it was do your set till failure, rack the weight, wait 10 seconds, do a few more reps...etc...

does it go to complete failure then?

ex: Flat Bench
10 reps (failure)
rest 10 seconds....
4 reps (failure)
rest 10 seconds...
2 reps (failure)
rest 10 seconds
1 rep (failure)

or is it a set amount, like 10 reps, rest...3 reps...rest....1 rep?

you got it right - no set reps. I do 3 sets each to failure with same weight and about 15 deep breaths between each -

ex - flat bench

warm -up's
135 x 12
225 x 10

working set
335 x 6 (failure)
15 deep breaths
335 x 4 (failure)
15 deep breaths
335 x 2 (failure)

check out the DC training sticky on this forum - got great info in it. been using it for about a month and a half and my lifts are going up like crazy as well as bw!

so is rest-pause only effective when youre doin 1 working set? What if someone was doing say the 5x5, would anyone recommend doing it maybe only on the last or first set? Or not use with the 5x5 at all? Or perhaps, maybe only the secondary exercises, which are 8-10 reps each of 2 sets?

ZGzaZ said:
so is rest-pause only effective when youre doin 1 working set? What if someone was doing say the 5x5, would anyone recommend doing it maybe only on the last or first set? Or not use with the 5x5 at all? Or perhaps, maybe only the secondary exercises, which are 8-10 reps each of 2 sets?

It is not meant for the 5 x 5 routine. That defeats the purpose. On the 5 x 5 program you are supposed to use weights that you can get for 5 reps at a fixed weight. the RP technique is when you want to push far beyond failure.

on bench press, there are two ways to do rest pause..

the way you explained, or, just lower the weight to your chest, rest it for 2 seconds (rest the weight, but stay stiff and tense)
then, shoot the weight up...

thats what me a my partners do for rest pause

Yeah Louden is right, I would stay away from RP for the 5x5. I believe that Needsize goes to failure on the 2 sets of 8-10 but I dont think he rest pauses any of those either.

TheOak84 said:
on bench press, there are two ways to do rest pause..

the way you explained, or, just lower the weight to your chest, rest it for 2 seconds (rest the weight, but stay stiff and tense)
then, shoot the weight up...

thats what me a my partners do for rest pause

thought that was called static holds - am i wrong?

Top Bottom