Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to even out traps!!!!!!

burnthiscorpse

Plat Hero
Platinum
This pisses me off so bad. When one trap is higher and fuller than the other. Once I am training for a few months it kinda evens out more. But being as I'm still not able to train yet this is really eating at me. Other than weak side shrugs only....does anyone else have a good way to get more girth out of the weak side trap?

When you get back stop using a mixed grip for deadlifts or shrugs!

Shrugging with a mixed grip is just so pointless...

Stop using your strong side to carry around plates in the gym and other things in life! I'm sure that has a little bit of an effect on them. You could try to just do shrugs with dumbbells and 45lb plates.

When you get back stop using a mixed grip for deadlifts or shrugs!

Shrugging with a mixed grip is just so pointless...

Funny thing...ya know...I always thought mixed grip deads were stupid. I never saw a point to it. Never done it. Never will.
As for shrugs mixed grip, the thought never crossed my mind.

I can shrug now if I want. I have to wait a week for yesterdays prolo treatment to stop being swollen. I'm going to shrug weak side maybe 3 times a week, couple sets each time and see what happens.
I also did a few light sets of deads last week (shhhhh) it didnt affect my shoulders either. So again in a week I'm just going to start doing light deads twice a week just to do something for christ sake!

Also when I carry plates, if I dont have one in each hand then I'm using both hands on the single 45 I'm carrying.

personnaly i dont think using a mixed grip makes a drastic difference... i use mixed myself for the fact that 1. it lets me work more weight 2. it strengthens my grip in the position that i use it in competition... (though im sure for many that is not a concern, just justifying my use) and my back/traps is pretty damn symetrical...

are you using dumbells? if so, switch to bar... the 'bells give each arm a seperate opportunity for their own ROM... the bar will give their paths a better chance at simultanious function....

if you are using bar... and not using a mixed grip... i dunnno...
is the larger trap on your weaker shoulder side? thats the only other thing im thinking atm...

Those are all good tips. You should also try to rule out nerve impingement, postural anomalies and asymmetric muscle tension in the neck/traps/shoulders. Stretch, if you don't already.

The larger trap is on the weak side. Its not drastic or anything. But I notice it and it pissed me off. I usually dont work traps because as soon as I start training again they get big quick. Just normal shoulder and back work hit them pretty good.
When I am able to train again I wont be doing anything to isolate traps except weak side only (smaller side) DB shrugs to try and even them out a little.
I found an old post by AAP on a shrug variation to hit more of the back and middle of the traps that I'm going to try one armed too. Eventually I'll do it 2 armed.

can you link to that shrug variation or explain it?

Top Bottom