Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

calluses

power up

How do you stop a calluse from ripping? Ive been deadlifitng for 15 years and never had this much trouble with my calluses. I keep tearing them off completely. I was doing a set today with 585 and about 3/4 of the way up the calluse on my right hand ring finger ripped all the way to my finger. Of course I have New Skin on it now. ANy other suggestions for a quick heal? I have only 2 weeks till the meet Im doing on July 15. I think the bars at this gym are too skinny.

does it seriously impact your lifting? i've had em rip off and i guess i never really noticed the difference. it could be different for others tho. i'd say if it doesn't bother don't worry, but if it does maybe your skin is too dry? lol i have no idea, sorry

It rips to point it bleeds and serious pain to squeaze. Otherwise yeah I ve had many a calluse rip a little but the past 6 months have been about 5 times tear to where it bleeds.

You could do a few things for it..
When a callus is too big and you're afraid it might rip, rub some pumice rock or clip it off a bit. lotion up (not before you lift..) because dry skin cracks and rips. Some people apply super glue or duct tabe on the callus for blisters and cracks

just some ideas

Well its close to healed. I really did not have much of a calluse when it ripped. I m going to do 585 again on fri with some athletic tape over it. Do any of you know if I can have athletic tape on my hand at a USAPL meet? Its 1.5 weeks away, fri is my last big workout before the meet and it should be healed but just in case Im wondering.

Here is an excerpt from the USAPL/IPF rules concerning tape.
7. Two layers of medical tape may be worn on the thumbs. Medical tape, or its like may not be worn
anywhere else on the body without official permission of the Jury, or Chief Referee. Medical tape
may not be used as aids to the lifter in holding the bar.
8. Contingent upon prior approval by the Jury, Official Doctor, Paramedic or Paramedical personnel
on duty may apply medical tape to bodily injuries in a fashion that would not grant the lifter an
undue advantage.
9. At all competitions where a jury may not be present and no medical personnel are on duty. The
Chief Referee shall have jurisdiction over the use of medical tape.

They may let you tape it at the meet if it is a question of bleeding on the bar but I doubt it as they will probably view it as an aid to the lift. Hopefully it will heal up before then. The advice given above about using a pumice stone and a good lotion (try Cornhuskers lotion, this is a manly lotion) is good preventative advice.
Best of luck at your meet!

Top Bottom