Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best way to add plyos in my strength routine?

the.gladiator1987

Platinum
Hey guys. Been looking up plyos for some time now and just read the VJB (Vertical Jump Bible). I am about to start playing a lot more basketball and I want to be able to dunk. I am almost 5'10" and can touch the rim right now. On a good jump I can grab the rim and hang off it but ill barely catch it with the tops of my fingers. My goal is to be able to dunk, so i figure I need about another 6 inches since my hands are small as hell.

Anyway, I am a little confused on how to implement plyos into my routine. I will stick to a strength routine for weights because squat strength will obviously improve the vertical, but when am I supposed to do everything?

Is it better to do heavy squats before or after plyos, or should I just do them on a separate day?

As far as my strength routine goes, the only thing I care about are Bench, Military, Deads, Squats, Dips, Pullups, and maybe some explosive hang cleans. Just not sure how to set up the days. I feel like doing squats on the same day as plyos would be too much, but then they also say to take a day or 2 off from everything after doing plyo work. It seems like it is really hard to focus on both. But I know there is a way to combine both!

This is what I have come up with. Please critique and give me your opinions, as I have no experience with actually doing a routine like this. I am going to do the 5x5 routine for my weight lifting.

Day 1: Plyos, then 5x5 for Squats, Bench, Cleans
Day 2: Off
Day 3: 5x5 for Deads, BTN Military, Pullups
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Plyos, then 4x5 and 1x3 for Squats, Bench, Cleans. Also Dips and BB Curls
Day 6: Sprints (3x15, 3x25, 3x40) and/or Basketball
Day 7: Off

Hey Glad! I hope you are well brother!

vThis is what I have come up with. Please critique and give me your opinions, as I have no experience with actually doing a routine like this. I am going to do the 5x5 routine for my weight lifting.

GhettoStudMuffin, now GreyStone, checking in to say that I'm glad to see you're still going strong Glad!

Honestly I'm not a fan of plyometrics. I think they are BS. I don't understand how exercise scientists separate the increase in stored energy and the resulting release from an increase in internal contraction energy. Even if plyometrics do increase immediate force production purely internal to the muscle the injury potential is so much higher than slower movements I don't think they are worth the gamble.

That being said you would want to put the plyometric work first in your program. You don't want fatigue restricting your muscular contractions.

Top Bottom