Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Barbell vs Dumbell Bench Press

I am currently trying to put on mass and know that the bench press is an excellent mass builder. I feel the stress on my chest more using dumbells and don't really feel it on my chest at all using a barbell. Which one of the two if any are better for building mass ? Also is the incline bench press better than the flat for mass cos it involves the delts more ?

Just switch it up, use barbell for a week or two, then use dumbells. Personally I like Barbell more, but i switch it up with dumbells alot when i want a shock and a good stretch. And Incline benching isn't really better for gaining mass, just because the delts are used more, the chest is also used less. Thats why you will put up less weight on incline then on flat.

RUN A SEARCH!!!!!

B True

I agree with B on that, considering this topic has been covered so much.

However, because I know how annoying it is to go off and search, I'll give my input.

I know Louden Swain swears by inclined presses. They don't stress the upper-pec moreso, but they take stress off of the lower-portion of the pectoral region. Dumbbells are probably a better mass builder because there's no bar which stops you from bringing the weights down further, thus giving you a greater ROM.

The main reason I feel however, that the dumbbell stresses the chest more, is because it causes them to act on their own. No support from the other arm or opposite half of the chest. They must stabilize themselves. It's much harder to control dumbbells than barbells. I've yet to meet anyone who says otherwise. As for actually building mass, so long as you train the chest, and eat big you'll get big.

I agree with the idea of switching it up. Get the best of both worlds.

And by the by, do what your body tells you. If you feel more stress in the pecs with dumbbells, then use them! Apparently they're being targeted more. And muscles grow when the fibers are stimulated, when there's enough fuel for them to grow, and of course when you're sleeping. They're all linked. Can't have one without the other.

Top Bottom