Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

xanax vs. xanax xr for sleep/anxiety

52_21_30 said:
Im sorry to hear that. As with any drug, it doesnt work for everyone. But if your doc is giving you xanax as a sleep aid, find a new doc. Trust me man, primary docs know how to treat hypertension, diabetes, and heart failure. They either graduated at the bottom of their class or are from a foreign country. Lots of shrinks wont prescribe xanax to anyone because they are experts on those drugs and know that theres many alternatives for what xanax is commonly used for. Plus the abuse potential is off the wall. Personally, I'm a very impulsive guy and I know I have an obsessive, addictive personality. I'll take 1 g of tren a week before I ever touch a xannie.

alright 51 listen buddy im not here to look for the type adivise/lecture you are blabblin on about, my doc is not foreign nor did he graduate from the bottom of his class. to make a blanket statement like that is uneducated to say the least. i know myself a little better than you do and abuse is not a concern of mine i wanted peoples experiences with xanax vs xanax xr, thats all.

Cutt29 said:
alright 51 listen buddy im not here to look for the type adivise/lecture you are blabblin on about, my doc is not foreign nor did he graduate from the bottom of his class. to make a blanket statement like that is uneducated to say the least. i know myself a little better than you do and abuse is not a concern of mine i wanted peoples experiences with xanax vs xanax xr, thats all.

But he does have a point , Cutt - xanax for sleeping? wtf? its the quickest acting benzo to my knowledge AND its the most addicting. I am on klonopin not to far behind from xanax.... Also you may want them to perscribe you klonopin because its a longer acting benzo therefore, lasts longer. I went to my shrink and said am having anxiety *good reason to be* and having trouble sleeping and she put me on klonopins. Now I sleep like a baby when I take as needed.

my .02

Cutt29 said:

Relax man I was only trying to help. Oh and I have a masters degree in pharmacology and am working on a doctorate so I'm not too un-informed on the subject. And trust me, docs that give xannies for sleep are the laughing stock of the professional community. It is simply not an indication for the drug. Period. Just looking out for a bro. Not talking down to you. Sorry you mis-interpretted my advice.

To answer your original question, people I know in my life who take (abuse) xanax prefer the original to the xr. I have also noticed that many of these various "XR" preps are total crap when compared to the original. Ambien CR blows, Wellbutrin's extended/controlled release is the same. They are most likely just marketting ploys (as is so much of the drug industry's tactics).

liquid, everything you said in your post was on point. Klonopin's have an 8 or 12 hour t 1/2 (cant remember which), and xanax is 3 hours, shortest of the benzo's. Klonopin's are the benz of choice for sporadic anxiety and insomnia, but if it occurs on a regular basis, most docs will seek a different med. All benzo's have an abuse potential, but xanax is the worst because of its short t 1/2. K for you!

Here's a link to an article from the aafp. Insomnia is an indication for benzo use (short term), but Xanax is a very poor choice: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000401/2121.html

Last edited:
52_21_30 said:
Relax man I was only trying to help. Oh and I have a masters degree in pharmacology and am working on a doctorate so I'm not too un-informed on the subject. And trust me, docs that give xannies for sleep are the laughing stock of the professional community. It is simply not an indication for the drug. Period. Just looking out for a bro. Not talking down to you. Sorry you mis-interpretted my advice.

To answer your original question, people I know in my life who take (abuse) xanax prefer the original to the xr. I have also noticed that many of these various "XR" preps are total crap when compared to the original. Ambien CR blows, Wellbutrin's extended/controlled release is the same. They are most likely just marketting ploys (as is so much of the drug industry's tactics).

liquid, everything you said in your post was on point. Klonopin's have an 8 or 12 hour t 1/2 (cant remember which), and xanax is 3 hours, shortest of the benzo's. Klonopin's are the benz of choice for sporadic anxiety and insomnia, but if it occurs on a regular basis, most docs will seek a different med. All benzo's have an abuse potential, but xanax is the worst because of its short t 1/2. K for you!

Here's a link to an article from the aafp. Insomnia is an indication for benzo use (short term), but Xanax is a very poor choice: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000401/2121.html

Thanks bro =)

trazodone was the first med my doc (not a shrink just a physician) prescribed to me didnt do shit, took up to 150mg before bed got nothin from it

That’s amazing, usually it knocks everyone out, I wonder if they have changed the formula.

52_21_30 said:

ok bro sorry for over reacting just was not in the mood for a lecture, he did not prescribe it for sleep he prescribed a handful of other meds for sleep in the previous weeks that did not work, i told him i was gettin anxiety attacks before bed that were most likley keeping me up and that is why he prescribed the xanax

Top Bottom