Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

triceps woes

IslandGirl

I'm relatively new to elite fitness and I've never posted on the Women's Discussion Board before. I've been using weights for about 6 months now, 2-3 times a week mainly targetting arms and back, and I'm generally very happy with the progress I've made.

My biceps have made the most notable improvement, my delts lag a bit behind but my bf laughs at my clear lack of triceps. Triceps are my least favourite muscle to excercise, but I'm really trying hard.

I have been supersetting a lying triceps extension, triceps kickback and triceps dips, for 2-3 sets, either once or twice a week. I just recently started the triceps pressdown using the pulley machine. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - not enough weight, not enough reps, poor form etc. Any advice on building up triceps?

as her boyfriend I should add that I don't really care if she has great ones or not - she looks amazing.
and her bis are freaking outrageous - it is hilarious the improvement she has made so fast - partly due to her perfect diet. I'm envious and wish I could follow one so well.

imho cable extensions are the best to burn my tris...

i usually do my tris on chest day... they're already pre-fatigued and tend to respond best for me that way...

Welcome to the elite world of women Islandgirl! :wavey:
Perhaps this info will help you on tri's- it helped- they were my lagging part...
on kickbacks, I rest my elbow on the bench instead of my opposite hand (gravity adds extra resistance) and working tri, I keep elbow visible in mirror in front of me above delt.
On lying extensions, using a decline ab bench (again, the gravity thing)
On dips, are you between 2 chairs or on the dip station? Got better results with dipping between 2 chairs or benches (elbows moving behind) with 45 plate on my lap- dip glutes to floor if shoulders allow this range of motion- to failure.
Hope this helps you- good luck- hoping to hear more from you here. :google:

Hi Island Girl - I think your lagging tri development is due to two things: genetics and how you percieve this particular body part.

Your biceps responded much more easily to training (genetics) so you became stronger more quickly and you enjoyed the feel of working them and the look that was a direct result of this work. Your tris are slower to develop (again, genetics), they are weaker, hence you enjoy the movement less and the physical result is evident.

It was clear from your post that you do NOT like to work your tris (not saying that you don't work them at all and I am not judging you....been there, done that - I HATED working my shoulders - MY WORST BODYPART) so we have the self-fulfilling prophecy. Have you ever seen ANYONE with say, outstanding pecs that said, "God! How I HATE TO BENCH!" hehehee See where this is leading?

You have to ask yourself, "What's more important? To better develop my lagging tris? or accept that they are genetically inferior?" If you are satisfied that this is as good as they will get and you are OK with that, then by all means it's cool. But if you decide that you ARE GOING TO MAKE THOSE MOFOS GROW - then I suggest you change your thinking. Say to yourself, "DAMMIT, those mofos are gonna grow if it KILLS ME!" and hit them with the same intensity that you hit other more easily responsive bodyparts. Once they become stronger and you see better results, TRUST ME - you may never LOVE to work triceps....but you will not hate it either.

As for me and my sorry ass shoulders. They are still my weakest body part, but overall they are the bodypart that has MOST improved since I decided to compete. My front and rear delts are VERY NICE (have a strong back and chest) but my side delts need just a bit more. Will I ever be Ms O? NO, but now there is no workout that I DREAD and I have a physique that though is NOT PERFECT is one that I am satisfied with overall.

just my .02

PS - I could not do dumbbell kickbacks for the longest time (I still prefer NOT to do them) as they hurt my shoulders BIG TIME (yes, my shoulders were THAT weak), however, I found a tremendous improvement in strength - didn't hurt my shoulders AT ALL - with CABLE KICKBACKS.

Last edited:
hey... is that man of yours as crazy as he is here at elite? don't know how you put up with it J/K

yes, happyscrappy is pretty crazy but somehow I think he comes off as being even crazier on this board b/c when you see him in real life there's a certain sweetness about him that lets you know that no matter how weird he is (and he is!) he's a genuinely wonderful person (and very hot, IMHO)

Bikinimom - thanks for your advice! I went to the gym this morning determined to work my tris as hard as I could and it felt so good! You're absolutely right that I don't like working my tris and I much prefer working delts and bis. But I am determined to develop them and this morning was a step in the right direction. I think it's a matter of finding some moves that I can perform with good form and that I can tolerate and then give it my all. Thanks a lot for your help.

My triceps used to be flat toothpicks. My favorite tri exercises include:

1) cable pressdown using the ROPE. When you've pressed all the way down, turn your wrists slightly to flare the rope ends OUT. You should feel an extra burn in your tris.

2) dumbell kickbacks with one hand and knee on a bench. I usually use a lighter weight on these to make sure I'm only working my tris. This should really burn like the dickens - just imagine your tris being carved into nice horseshoes.

3) dips - either off a bench or a dip machine

Thanks fitfossil - I've never tried pressdowns with a rope before - I'll give it a shot during my next tris workout.

What other muscle group(s) do you combine tris with during your workout? Also, do you superset those 3 exercises that you mentioned? How many sets of each do you do?

Thanks for your input!

quite frankly islandgirl, we need to workout together. hee hee. my tris are what I like working out, and my bis don't respond - they get all big and pumped, but I haven't increased weight in ages.

Top Bottom