Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The computer I bought (look inside)

redsamurai said:
So you're a digital effects person?

visual fx.

yeah since i was 13 I guess you could say. I love taking a video of a person walking, turning him into an alien, turning the sky dark, earthquake and thunder everywhere, and then a big asteroid smashes into the street, mushroom cloud erupts, and it transitions away to a black screen. All within 10 mins of work. It is sooo freakin' cool! My gf just loves to sit there and watch me work.

This guy is my idol: videocopilot.net

Chad Perkins is also a master in this area. I talk with him every day.

r

Razorguns said:
Chewy: My Toshiba laptop is good, not the world's greatest - but it's dual core and vista and seems to be quite stable. And it does it's job of surfing EF at airports. :) Tip: I got a sprint broadband card. I love it. Can surf the web at the beach, cottage, studio, car, friends house. Even use it as your isp at home if u want to save $.

Red: I wanted a NVidia 8800 512MB or the ATI 3XXX series. But jury is still out if it will really make a difference in my rendering, 3d work, editing, etc. Everyone I know says it won't make one diff. Maybe BluRay playback will be smoother - but I haven't gotten one installed yet. So not sure. No, I don't play games. Unless i'm at Dave & Busters with some beers. :)

r

Tell me more about this broadband card - is it satellite internet? How much?

chewyxrage said:
Tell me more about this broadband card - is it satellite internet? How much?

pantech sierra wireless usb card I think it is.

You take it with you. Attach to USB of desktop/laptop. Run setup. And then hit 'connect'. Boom. Instant internet access.

This is also a HUGE asset in Hollywood too. Nothing makes your crew/cast happier - then a laptop where people can check their email/myspace during lunch or 'downtimes'. Just with a laptop and a $50 card. Especially when you're far away somewhere. (Plus great for last minute business correspondence.). Plus it makes your set look so big budget. It's the first thing people notice ("OMG, you have internet access on that laptop on the table. Let me check my myspace!").

Cheap shit like that just makes people happy - and that's fine with me. I like happy people. :)

r

btw: If you run Vista - DOWNLOAD SWITCHER.

It is sooo cool and so easy when switching among tons of open windows on 2 monitors.

Saves having to use your mouse and hover over your taskbar and see what is what.

google it, i forget the url.

r

Razorguns said:
pantech sierra wireless usb card I think it is.

You take it with you. Attach to USB of desktop/laptop. Run setup. And then hit 'connect'. Boom. Instant internet access.

This is also a HUGE asset in Hollywood too. Nothing makes your crew/cast happier - then a laptop where people can check their email/myspace during lunch or 'downtimes'. Just with a laptop and a $50 card. Especially when you're far away somewhere. (Plus great for last minute business correspondence.). Plus it makes your set look so big budget. It's the first thing people notice ("OMG, you have internet access on that laptop on the table. Let me check my myspace!").

Cheap shit like that just makes people happy - and that's fine with me. I like happy people. :)

r

When I worked for John Deere we had something similar, it wasn't usb, but a satellite network card...so it's satellite, correct? Or are you just ganking other people's internet?

chewyxrage said:
When I worked for John Deere we had something similar, it wasn't usb, but a satellite network card...so it's satellite, correct? Or are you just ganking other people's internet?

uses the sprint digital network. EVO.

sprint.com search for pantech.

i only pay $50 a month.

r

hey razor next time you should build that pc you bought it would only cost you like 700 bucks or a little more

Razorguns said:
visual fx.

yeah since i was 13 I guess you could say. I love taking a video of a person walking, turning him into an alien, turning the sky dark, earthquake and thunder everywhere, and then a big asteroid smashes into the street, mushroom cloud erupts, and it transitions away to a black screen. All within 10 mins of work. It is sooo freakin' cool! My gf just loves to sit there and watch me work.

This guy is my idol: videocopilot.net

Chad Perkins is also a master in this area. I talk with him every day.

r

I didn't know that. (professionally?)

I have mad respect for VFX artists (kind of an industry brethren thing as MFX and VFX artists tend to work in conjunction alot.) I was even swaying towards visual effects after working and learning with Tippett Studio back in the late 90's as job security of sorts, they kept me real busy for a while. (Actually '98-'00) While there, I was broken in on 3ds MAX, Photoshop and ZBrush.
I loved it but it just wasn't the same. I didn't get that Dr. Frankenstein syndrome feeling from it the way I did with Make-up Effects. I just like the hands on I guess, bringing more or less physical life to an idea. As you know there is so much more involved with MFX than just make-up.

It was very tough desicion to "retire" from something I have wanted to do since 3yo, and have been doing successfully for 12+ years.

I actually still do contract work maybe 3-5 times a year and still try to incorporate VFX into the conception....I LOVE ZBrush for this!

Incidentally, did you know that ILM is hiring almost across the board right now? FYI if not.

Top Bottom