Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The computer I bought (look inside)

gotmojo said:
I didn't know that. (professionally?)

I have mad respect for VFX artists (kind of an industry brethren thing as MFX and VFX artists tend to work in conjunction alot.) I was even swaying towards visual effects after working and learning with Tippett Studio back in the late 90's as job security of sorts, they kept me real busy for a while. (Actually '98-'00) While there, I was broken in on 3ds MAX, Photoshop and ZBrush.
I loved it but it just wasn't the same. I didn't get that Dr. Frankenstein syndrome feeling from it the way I did with Make-up Effects. I just like the hands on I guess, bringing more or less physical life to an idea. As you know there is so much more involved with MFX than just make-up.

It was very tough desicion to "retire" from something I have wanted to do since 3yo, and have been doing successfully for 12+ years.

I actually still do contract work maybe 3-5 times a year and still try to incorporate VFX into the conception....I LOVE ZBrush for this!

Incidentally, did you know that ILM is hiring almost across the board right now? FYI if not.

army vet: search review amd phenom and intel quad. amd got it's ass handed to it.

gotmojo: yeah i just LOVE vfx. It's so much fun - and great outlet for my creativity. Ive worked with a lot of makeup people in my career. Hot lights, dark shadows, talent running off for 2 hours, humidity, etc. I can understand how frustrating it can be. And last thing u wanna hear is some guy in the control room going 'Camera 3. Turn away. Joe's makeup is running. Switch to Camera 4'. And floor supervisor is running for you to run on set and fix it immediately!

You just gotta stay with what you love. I'd rather work 14 hours a day with people who love their craft - than 2 hours with someone who's there to collect a paycheck. I see lots of those people these days. They're usually found in offices.

I've even seen young kids, who just pull cables all day - just happy to be there! I started my career as a kid running back and forth from a production truck - patch cable in hand - so know the feeling.

r

Razorguns said:
army vet: search review amd phenom and intel quad. amd got it's ass handed to it.

gotmojo: yeah i just LOVE vfx. It's so much fun - and great outlet for my creativity. Ive worked with a lot of makeup people in my career. Hot lights, dark shadows, talent running off for 2 hours, humidity, etc. I can understand how frustrating it can be. And last thing u wanna hear is some guy in the control room going 'Camera 3. Turn away. Joe's makeup is running. Switch to Camera 4'. And floor supervisor is running for you to run on set and fix it immediately!

You just gotta stay with what you love. I'd rather work 14 hours a day with people who love their craft - than 2 hours with someone who's there to collect a paycheck. I see lots of those people these days. They're usually found in offices.

I've even seen young kids, who just pull cables all day - just happy to be there! I started my career as a kid running back and forth from a production truck - patch cable in hand - so know the feeling.

r

Nice...

So, do you work for a house, studio, independently? Are you union?

Although I consider myself retired, I am still a paying/working member of I.A.T.S.E. Local 33 and local 706 so I can keep doing contract work here and there, it also keeps me eligible/active for my pension and other benefits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom