Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Standing Dumbell Presses vs Seated Dumbell Presses

I'd go with standing myself as it works more muscles groups, core stability and is generally a more "functional" (real world application) movement.

Isn't sitting overhead pressing bad for the spine or was that debunked as bollocks?

gonelifting said:
I lift in my basement with low(er) ceilings, so I'm forced to do seated presses. I also use a 90 degree bench and a support for my back (I know, but trust me, I need it) I basically stick with dumbells. Never really tried barbell seated. With my back up against the 90 degree bench, it might not be a good idea.

Anyway, I agree, you should get rid of those cable movements. I would also try not to do too many pressing movements like standing bb AND seated dumbell. Just make sure the total sets don't go higher than your predtermined goal. Seems overkill to me. Side or bent laterals aren't really bad, it's just the cables I dislike. I guess it depends on where you are in terms of your training. Good luck

I did feel Barbell presses and seated dumbels are a bit much. So ill drop the dumbells.

TY

thanks again all.

Did standing bb presses yesterday. im in unexplored territory. so i started light. Not counting warm up sets.

1 set 5 reps 95lbs
1 set 5 reps 115lbs
1 set 5 reps 135lbs

next week ill do 3 sets 5 reps 135lbs.

I did not use legs at all. i did feel compelled to though.

A form question. i am keeping a slight bend in my knees. but im arching my lower back, so there is a bend in my back. i also lost my balance and had to take a small step back with my right foot. is this normal being new to this exercise?

I also kept the bar in front of my body. Did not do behind the neck. And was using a fasle grip. Meaning i did not wrap my thumbs around the bar.....

Advice all?

Are 3 working sets enough? Not sure, I have trouble with volume myself.

For some reason I do military presses with the bar only in front of my head not behind the neck and I get less pressure on shoulder than single db shoulder presses.

gonelifting said:
Are 3 working sets enough? Not sure, I have trouble with volume myself.

I dont know if they are enough. i can tell you my shoulders are more sore than they have ever been. I feel my lower back, abs, midsection all worked. i love the way this is going.

As my body becomes more used to it. ill add sets. After the three working sets i was exhausted..i felt like i was going to puke. lol

It is so different then seated.

gettnheavy said:
For some reason I do military presses with the bar only in front of my head not behind the neck and I get less pressure on shoulder than single db shoulder presses.

Yes. i feel the same. ill keep them to the front.

Top Bottom