Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Standing Dumbell Presses vs Seated Dumbell Presses

Blane said:
Advice?

The benifit of standing? The weight seems heavier. Any ideas?

it most likely does seem heavier because your back is not helping you lift it.

Benefit of standing: More isolated movement, restricted to your shoulders more.

Benefits of sitting: You dont have to yank up the dumbbell so high.

It's not a terrible thing to use your legs. That's exactly what a push press is all about. They shouldn't be the primary mover during the lift, but it's okay to let them help out. Most people will start out with a strict (military) press, but it will eventually evolve into a push press.

Blane said:
Thank you all.

Standing bb presses it is.

I will need to decrease the poundage till my body gets used to the movement. I did standing dumbell presses the other day for my warmup sets. The benches were being used.

I remember thinking wow. My abs are weak!!!!!!! i could feel the challange of trying to stabalize. What should i be feeling when i do the standing bbpress? of course my shoulders..Should i arch the back? keep it straight. I was tempted to use my legs..ill fight that. slight bend in knees?

Please advise.......

your core and lower back are gonna get hammered for a while, doing them standing, you will get used to this. as for leg drive: you could do your primary work sets with leg drive and do a back off set at at the end strict. i dont see a difference from athletics and aesthetics. my rule: load is king. and with the help of leg drive you can obviously put a lot more weight overhead, thus stimultating more growth.

thank you all great advice. next step is to get under the bar. i dont know where in my gym ill be able to do them...No one does them..all seated........

Not too many people in my gym do standing mil press..

I just grab a barbell and find an empty space somewhere on the floor and load the bar up.

drsketch said:
Not too many people in my gym do standing mil press..

I just grab a barbell and find an empty space somewhere on the floor and load the bar up.
So you clean the weight every time?

damn -- fuck grabbin it from the floor -- I use a squat rack or something similar cause I can leave the barbell pretty high...

I lift in my basement with low(er) ceilings, so I'm forced to do seated presses. I also use a 90 degree bench and a support for my back (I know, but trust me, I need it) I basically stick with dumbells. Never really tried barbell seated. With my back up against the 90 degree bench, it might not be a good idea.

Anyway, I agree, you should get rid of those cable movements. I would also try not to do too many pressing movements like standing bb AND seated dumbell. Just make sure the total sets don't go higher than your predtermined goal. Seems overkill to me. Side or bent laterals aren't really bad, it's just the cables I dislike. I guess it depends on where you are in terms of your training. Good luck

Top Bottom