Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats and back injury..match in heaven?

Corsaire

Fellas,
I've heard some gym rats put down SQUATS as to how much of a murder they can be on the back, these dudes mostly do Smith machines (hi volume though). I have a bad back, still healing, herniated disc (lumbar section)that caused my whole right side of my back into wild spasms, in short messed up for awhile... Now, after 6 months feel much better, I can put a backpack on me which I couldn't before because it'd leave so sore in my lower, it only aggraviated it. Point is, I'm shy away from squats and lunges, specially when requires to hold a decent weight right over my shoulders.
Has anybody had an experience with this scenario?
Can a bad back really completely healed in order to start doing the squats and lunges? or one is just doomed to the Smith machines???
Please, any comment or experience related to this subject will be most appreciated.
Corsaire borading party....away!:mix:

I have never hurt my back, thank god. I have however had buddies that did. Interestingly, none of them did this by squatting! I really believe that one of the keys to a strong back are very strong abs!!! I as well as some of my friends that work our abs with weight resistance on a consistant basis never had back injury. I would say and please note I am not a therapist by any means, that you may want to really strengthen your abdominals first. Then gradually work your quads with squats. Start light and build the muscle gradually. You will know when its time to add weight. Once your confidence is up, squatting will become a key to strengthening your legs. Actually, squats will do more to strengthen your back than a smith machine. To a large extent your back is needed to stabalize the weight on your neck. I never liked smith machines for this reason. Stabalizer muscles are one of the most important to develop and if these are strong, injury is less likely. Good Luck!!!

same injury , i'd wholeheartedly agree with the above advice while also strenghtening the whole midsection.

hyper ext.s, bent leg dead lifts, side bends. also psoas twists which involve putting a light barbel behind the neck bending at waist and GENTLY twisiting from side to side - an excellent internal strenghtening
excercise.

with the squats go relatively light for high reps and build up gradually. stick to this regime and u'll have the strongest, healthiest back in the gym

good luck

jim

Sorry, I think your buds are wrong. I have arthritis and three bulging disks as a result of a car accident. They mostly bother me when I DON'T squat and deadlift. Just be sure to stretch a lot, and do plenty of ab work. A good stretch is to just hang ftom a chinning bar aftger each set of squats. And watch your technique on the squats.

Squats and back injury

Thanks for the advise, guys!
It all makes sense, to toughen the core of the body, abs, back, etc, and then go easy and gradually with the free-weights putting an emphasis on technique and form.
I have a word of advise though, for you all outhere, I know some wise dudes will get on my case with this, but here is anyway:
Wear a good belt!
Few years ago when doing some lunges, I lost my balance just enough for the barbell over my shoulders to shift towards one side, somehow I regained control over it (I wasn't wearing a belt). But the next day, when getting off the bed, a sharp pain struck right across my lower back, could barely stand up straight, like this for two days. It went away, but whatever got screwed up back then didn't show up until recently. I was in pretty good shape then, mind you, abs and everything, so please: WEAR A BELT !
The Corsaire Boarding party....away!
:D

Top Bottom