Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shades - Linear/Single Factor 5x5 Progess

I rarely ever get sore from conventional deadlifting. Sometimes if I switch to SLDLs my hamstrings get sore but I can't remember the last time my lower back was sore.

xblitz44x said:
I rarely ever get sore from conventional deadlifting. Sometimes if I switch to SLDLs my hamstrings get sore but I can't remember the last time my lower back was sore.
I am guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't done them in a long time. After a couple deadlifting days I probably won't get sore. Now all I want is 500 lbs.

What is the general take on videos for some of the more important lifts? I can do it if people are interested in it. I am sure there are lots of form criticisms I could stand.

Shades McCool said:
What is the general take on videos for some of the more important lifts? I can do it if people are interested in it. I am sure there are lots of form criticisms I could stand.

We have a vids thread on the board somewhere (it should be a sticky) , make the vid, post it up and people here will critique it. It can be really helpful.

Here is the deadlift video thread

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480119&highlight=deadlift+videos

And here's the video thread that should be a sticky.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485189&highlight=videos

Shades McCool said:
Ok........back is sore........deadlifts while awesome, make you sore.....still awesome though.....

Your body's way of saying "Great, why is it the brain gets to enjoy the thrill of the concept of the deadlift, but the body has to do all the work? SCREW YOU BRAIN!"

or something like that....

Awesome lifts for "the first day back" -- awesome!

I guess that's why you said "AWESOME!"

The Before pix:
...... :) ........
||||====||||

The After pix:

..........:fro: .........
|||||||====|||||||

Sassy69 said:
Your body's way of saying "Great, why is it the brain gets to enjoy the thrill of the concept of the deadlift, but the body has to do all the work? SCREW YOU BRAIN!"

or something like that....

Awesome lifts for "the first day back" -- awesome!

I guess that's why you said "AWESOME!"

The Before pix:
...... :) ........
||||====||||

The After pix:

..........:fro: .........
|||||||====|||||||
Sassy, you're so right. My brain loved it while my body hated it at the time.

I will say this though. I had been using a body part splits workout for a while so this was the first time in a while that I really felt like falling out and was short of breath while I was working out. I forgot how much I missed that feeling.

As for the lifts, I have no clue where they came from. When you look at me you would think that there is no way he is about to deadlift that. I honestly don't understand how it happened. My wheels aren't very impressive right now so I thought there would be no way I would get those weights up. While I know they aren't super impressive, they put a smile my face. Makes me want 500 as soon as I can get it.

I'll try to get a video of me doing something this week. I don't know what lift it will be but it will be something.

That's awesome! That is why I love to lift instead of cardio. I hate friggen cardio. But I could mess around in the gym all day. Leg day -- my lower back keeps me from doing anything impressive in squats & DLs, but I get on the hack squat & the leg press -- I do 2 super sets of hack / leg press of 3 sets each, around 10-12 reps, first w/ a wide leg stance & then a close stance. I pushed 14 plates (14 x 45) on the leg press the other day on a close stance for 10! My left hip hated me but I did it and it was awesome! But what I *NEED* is more cardio and not the heavy lifting.

But to your point -- I think strength is maybe a greater thing than "size". And if you can pull that sort of weight & still run a very speedy sprint, that is really awesome! From talking w/ my friends who have always been hardcore in their view about "Can't get big enough, can't get strong enough" - -they now tell the younger guys - "You don't want to be 300 lb at age 22 -- the girls don't like that & its not a healthy way to go thru your life as you get older." Very good advice!

DYING to see some video!

Ok I went and did some more tune-up work for the new routine.

Incline Bench
1st set: 135x5
2nd set: 185x5
3rd set: 225x5
4th set: 245x5
5th set: 250x5

Incline felt really good today. That's the highest weight I have done on incline as I have usually been doing incline after 5x5 on flat bench (not much left in the tank at that point).

Cleans:
1st set: 135x5
2nd set: 175x5
3rd set: 205x3
4th set: 205x3

Cleans 205x3 6-03-06

I know my form leaves a lot to be desired, so I took the digital camera and got some video. I feel like I have a hard time bending my knees at the end of the lift to catch myself. I also feel like I might be coming too far away from my body. Give me your opinions/advice.

Rows:
1st set: 115x5
2nd set: 135x5
3rd set: 155x5
4th set: 175x5
5th set: 155x5

Rows 175x5 6-03-06

This is my first time really doing rows at what is supposed to be 90 degrees. I have no clue on my form and could really use some opinions from you rowing fools.

Overall it felt pretty good and I really can't wait to get some good five rep maxes to get started with the routine the week of June 12th.

Let me have it!

Last edited:
I'm gonna hold my comments on form - I can barely support myself on a row unless on the Smith machine (lower back). One question I might have is about how long one would choose to hold at the top -- This is definitely easier on the Smith machine, but I tend to hold it for a 2 ct on the top.... I guess I also dont' go at a full 90 degrees either.

Top Bottom