Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Poor lipid profile, low HDL? TAKE GARLIC!!!

Yeah, I take garlic extract pills for almost two years now, although my lipid profile is excellent (total cholesterol 122, HDL 51, LDL 59), but double protection always feels better.
Over here, you can get 300 pills for about 2, dollars, it´s dirt cheap.

Just a note, be sure NOT to get the type that advertises "NO ODORS or GARLIC BREATH". I've read articles on Garlic that specifically stated once the garlic-taste and garlic-smell was removed for patability: the garlic was rendered useless (for it's psuedo-HDL properties anyways)!

So....if it stinks---it works!

Some other effects of Garlic:

• Garlic has been used orally as an antioxidant; to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides; to reduce hardening of the arteries and blood clotting; to reduce blood pressure; to prevent cancer; to protect the liver; as an antibiotic, antiviral, and antifungal; to increase the effects of the immune system; to reduce blood sugar levels; and to reduce menstrual pain. Garlic has also been used topically (on the skin) to treat corns, warts, calluses, ear infections, muscle pain, nerve pain, arthritis, and sciatica.

GOOD-ASS-SHIT :)

Some more info on different garlic products:

How Garlic Pills, Oils and Extracts Work
It is almost meaningless to discuss garlic pills without talking about the medicinal aspects of garlic since there would seem to no other reason to take the pills. Accordingly, let us briefly review the health benefits of garlic. Please see our section on the health benefits of garlic for The names of the scientists and their organizations who have reported these findings.

Experiments by competent scientists have shown beyond any reasonable doubt that consuming garlic has the following health benefits: Garlic lowers blood pressure. Garlic lowers LDL Cholesterol and can help to reduce atherosclerotic buildup (plaque) within the arterial system. Garlic lowers or helps to regulate blood sugar. Garlic helps to prevent blood clots from forming, thus reducing the possibility of strokes and thromboses (It may not be good for hemopheliacs). Garlic helps to prevent cancer, prevents certain tumors from growing larger and reduces the size of certain tumors. Garlic helps to remove heavy metals such as lead and mercury from the body. Raw Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic, while far less strong than modern antibiotics, can still kill some strains of bacteria that have become immune or resistant to modern antibiotics. Garlic has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Garlic has anti-oxidant properties and is a source of selenium. Garlic probably has other benefits as well.

Since medical doctors, botanists, biologists and chemists in hospitals and universities all over the world have established that the above claims are factual, people have wanted to obtain these health benefits. Many wishing to avoid the social consequences of garlic breath or because raw or cooked garlic in its natural state disagrees with them have turned to garlic oils, pills or aged garlic extract as an alternative. These commercial preparations are designed to go into the stomach or intestines before dissolving, thereby avoiding the taste and immediate smell of garlic breath. How good are these alternatives and which ones offer hope to the socially conscious or the digestively challenged? As in every other kind of business, each manufacturer claims their own product is superior, so how do you know who to believe? We will examine the kinds one at a time and let you draw your own conclusions.

Research indicates it is not just the allicin in itself that accounts for all the above listed health benefits. Allicin does not circulate in the human body. It interacts with blood cells and breaks down into sulfides and other compounds and it's half life in the bloodstream is about a minute. Many of those breakdown sulphides, thiols, etc. account for the cholesterol lowering effects, anticoagulant action, cancer prevention and other benefits. Also, from the moment fresh garlic is crushed or dried garlic re-hydrated, it takes about ten minutes for the allinase to react with all the alliin to form allicin, which by then is beginning to form thiosulfinates. If this process takes place in the stomach or intestines, most of the allinase is reacts with the surrounding liquids and rapidly dissapates without forming very much allicin.

True, allicin will breakdown and deliver a wide range of the beneficial compounds, but some of the preparations contain additives or compounds designed to enhance a particular effect, such as ajoene, which appears to be very good at inhibiting platelet aggregation, but may not be as complete as raw garlic in providing some of the other benefits. If you are seeking a specific benefit rather than the general overall effects, you may want to see which preparation seems to provide the particular benefit you are looking for.

Again we refer you to read the section on the health benefits of garlic and the results of the experiments contained there. While there is widespread agreement about the health benefits of garlic, there is also some disagreement among researchers about garlic and its resultant sulphides, bi-sulphides, tri-sulphides, thiols, etc. Much of the research has been done using commercial garlic preparations, either due to the variations in fresh garlic or, sometimes, it appears to me, because some of the researchers may be trying to promote the particular manufactured preparation that employs them or pays for the research. A couple of researchers even claim, against overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that allicin is toxic and proudly state that their product has none of it. Yes, if you eat 100 bulbs of strong raw garlic a day, you probably would not feel or smell very good. I suspect they may be engaging in a little spin control to make their product look a little more favorable against competitor's products. Allicin is probably toxic to individuals who are allergic to sulphur and those people probably shouldn't use garlic, or garlic pills or oils for that matter.

We suggest that you read the research papers very carefully and draw your own conclusions as to the scientific objectivity of the researcher. I'm not the slightest bit objective; I like fresh whole garlic and I make no apologies for it. The farm animals around our place either do not object to my aroma, or if they do, they don't communicate their displeasure to me in any way I can see. Since our neighbors all know I grow garlic, they seem to expect me to smell funny, but it doesn't seem to diminish our relationship in any way.

For a more comprehensive description of commercial preparations we recommend the very readable book, "Garlic, Nature's Original Remedy" (Go to your local bookstore and buy it, it's only $6.95 and a bargain at twice the price). Fulder and Blackwood offer an excellent explanation of the oils and pills and we shall draw upon their findings here.

Garlic Oils

Garlic Oils are the oldest kind of manufactured preparation and were first made some 70 years ago, long before research identified the active ingredients we know of today. Garlic oil is made in two ways, one is derived by steaming crushed garlic and capturing the resultant oil released as the allicin breaks down into sulphides. Steam distilled garlic oil contains fair amounts of DADS and DATS. It takes about a pound of garlic to produce a gram of oil. That would make them very expensive, so vegetable oil is usually added to the garlic oil that goes into the capsules, diluting them substantially. The average garlic oil capsule actually contains less than one-thousandth of a gram of garlic oil and the rest of its net weight is usually vegetable oil. Garlic oils contain limited, if any, antibiotic properties.

The other way is to chop (macerate) garlic and incubate it in vegetable oil. (Don't try this at home - Botulism danger!) Garlic oil-macerate capsules contain only small amounts of the sulfides are one of the least effective of the commercial preparations for obtaining all the health benefits of garlic. I'm not saying they're not useful, nor am I saying not to take them, I am only saying that ordinary garlic is less expensive and more complete in making the wide range of garlic's benefits available to the consumer.

Reduced Odor Garlic Pills

In low-odor pills the garlics are sliced, dried and then ground into powder before the allicin is formed. A little allicin is formed where the cloves are sliced, but most of the cells are unbroken when dried and the alliin and allinase remain separate. This powder is put into capsules or made into pills and given an enteric coating to prevent it from dissolving until after it is swallowed. When the pill is dissolved in the stomach or intestines, the allicin is then formed, reacts with stomach or intestinal fluids, immediately forms sulfides or other breakdown products and then gets into the user's system. The manufacturer generally guarantees its potency, but it actually provides only the potential to form allicin and the actual amount may be difficult to measure since only the breakdown compounds get into the consumer's system.
It does seem to be a good way to get the benefits of both the allicin and the sulphides with a minimum of resultant odor, IF THE ENTERIC COATING WORKS RIGHT AND DISSOLVES PROPERLY. Again, though, fresh garlic is cheaper and as good or better, of course, it does have that aroma - might as well get used to it because if the pill is any good, you'll still have garlic breath, just later.

Odorless Garlic Pills (Sometimes Called Allicin-Standardized Pills)

Garlic is processed in a way the manufacturer says prevents the conversion of alliin into allicin (the allinase is de-activated), then it is crushed and dried. Allicin is not formed until the capsule gets into the consumer's digestive system. The pill's enteric coating is designed to resist disintegration in the acid of the stomach, but to readily dissolve in the small intestine, where the breakdown products are absorbed. The manufacturer may guarantee it's potency.
It seems like a good way to get the full range of garlic benefits without the immediate garlic breath, But, again, it would seem to be difficult to tell exactly how much allicin is actually formed. Also, if it is really good, it would seem to me that there would eventually be at least a mild odor as the sulphides and other breakdown products work their way through the consumer's circulatory system and lungs. Still, fresh garlic is at least as effective, if you know how to use it, and is cheaper and tastes better, to boot.

Allicin Stabilized Pills

There is no such thing as stabilized allicin. Allicin is unstable by its very nature and will react with itself if there is nothing else around to react with. If any manufacturer claims they have stabilized allicin, I would be leery of any other claims they might make. The potential to form allicin might be seen as being "stabilized" by employing an enteric coating that resisted dissolving in the acid of the stomach, but readily dissolved in the Ph neutral small intestine, but allicin, itself, cannot be stabilized.

Ajoene

Professor Eric Block, Professor and Chair of the Department of Chemistry at State University of New York at Albany, discovered that when garlic is heated in solvents (or solvents mixed with water, but never in water, alone), such as acetone, or vegetable oil, it makes a compound which he named ajoene (pronounced AH-HOE-EEN, Ajo is spanish for garlic). Tests have shown ajoene to be especially effective at preventing blood clotting and thereby minimizing the probability of strokes and thromboses. Ajoene apparently affects the platelet's ability to produce thromboxane, which causes clumping. Only the oil-macerate garlic supplements (Bayer One-A-Day Garlic and Schiff's Garlic Gold) contain Ajoene. Garlic's sulfides also inhibit platelet aggregation; however, ajoene seems to specialize in it and, unlike the sulfides, doesn't do much else.

Aged Odorless Garlic Extract

This preparation is in a class by itself among commercial products. It is made by chopping garlic and aging it in alcohol for almost two years. It no longer has any allicin. Its manufacturers claim that allicin is harmful since the extract contains no allicin or diallyl Disulphide, or other sulfides as they disappeared early in their extraction process. Rather, they focus on the thioallyl compounds, S-allyl cysteine and S-allyl mercaptocysteine, which are among the compounds that form when allicin breaks down the farthest and are the least odorous. These are the most abundant compounds in Kyolic, even though there are only small amounts of them. Most of their research focuses on these two water-soluble compounds rather than allicin and diallyl di-and tri-sulfides that other pill manufacturers focus on.
There seems to considerable controversy about this as their findings seem to contradict the findings of so many other researchers. There is certainly truth in the statement that the breakdown compounds of allicin contain many of the active constituents that promote better health, rather than the allicin, itself and in densely populated areas, people may have more interest in the odorlessness of a product than elsewhere. There have been a number of studies showing aged garlic extract to be effective in producing some health benefits when used in greater amounts than are normally consumed and that it may have less toxicity than some other alternatives in large doses, yet other researchers point out that is because it is less potent to begin with and that . Only time and more research will tell for sure which viewpoint will prevail.

Competitive Controversies

There have been studies sponsored or conducted by Kyolic brand of aged garlic extract showing health benefits for Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract. Read them and determine for yourself what you think. Kyolic seems very enthusiastic only about aged garlic extract but less than enthusiastic about other commercial products and fresh garlic. Another leading garlic researcher points out that one's loyalty to an employer or sponsor might have a tendency to obscure one's total objectivity. I find these publicity battles between manufacturers to be annoying and wish all would be as independently objective as the true scientist is supposed to be.

At the recent third annual Garlic is Life! Symposium in Tulsa, Ok in fall of 2001, Dr. Larry Lawson explained the recent controversy over a study done at a major Clinic with some garlic pills that didn't show the expected benefits usually attributable to garlic and concluded that garlic was not effective. Dr. Lawson rightfully pointed out that the studies were done with a new formulaion of an older pill that had performed well in prior tests, and that the new pill's enteric coating failed to dissolve properly resulting in the release of little or no allicin or other breakdown products. The correct conclusion was that the new pills were not as good as the old, but the researchers mistakenly concluded that all garlic in all forms was ineffective. The study was apparently financed by a major pharmaceutical company. The study itself was a valid study, only the conclusions drawn from it were obviously erroneous, once you learned about the pills they used. If you were to just read the report, you might actually agree with it if you didn't know better. It's when you get the background information that you can see the audacity of the ridculous conclusions they drew because they had a vested financial reason to develop a faulty finding about garlic. They see food supplements as a major competitor for the health consumers dollars and disparage them at every opportunity in order to undermine consumer confidence in a competitor.

In Summary

I think most of the commercial preparation have health benefits, based on the research papers I have read and some of them seem to target certain areas better than others. Each person should read all they can on the matter and become a more educated consumer, then make up their own minds about which ones they want to use. I see nothing wrong with eating a reasonable amount of fresh and cooked garlic and supplementing it with commercial products, as long as one doesn't overdo it. For myself I enjoy fresh garlic, which I believe to be very healthful, simply because I like the taste of it and the way it makes me feel and I'm just glad to know there are health benefits as an added bonus.

Has anyone on here used galic while on an aromatase blocker like arimidex or fermara?

If you have did you have your cholesterol checked and what were the results?

40butpumpin said:
I ...A few pages later in this same issue of JAMA, a startling new finding showed that garlic prevents arterial occlusion by the same mechanism as HDL-cholesterol.2,3,4

as to 1,000 mg per 1.1 pounds of food, any idea what this translates into in practical terms for say a 190 pound guy?

Top Bottom