Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

OverTraining???

tha_pllaya

I have been working out for 3 mounths with a 3-day split
DAY1: Chest & Back 4 excercises
DAY2: Legs 6 excercises
DAY3: Bicept, Tricept & Shoulders 6 excersices
This worked out pretty well

My New Program is a 4-day split
DAY1: Chest & Tricept 6 (or 8 exercises)
DAY2: Back & Bicept 6 (or 8 excercises)
DAY3: Legs 7 excercises
DAY4: Shoulders 3 (or 4 excercises)

I wanted to do 3 different excercises per muscle with a maximum of 9 sets per muscle

BUT if i do 4 excersices per muscle with a maximim of 12 sets is this overtraining?
And if you can help, how many days a week should i work out
thanks!

It's highly doubtful that you'll be overtrained. I used to do 16-20 sets per body part with no problems. When I do a routine like this, I usually keep it between 12-16 sets per body part depending upon the load. If exercising all body parts 2 times a week, I'll have a heavy and and a rep day.
You should be including squats, deadlifts, military and bent rowing in your routines. These (with bench press and some others) are some of the best strength and size exercises that you can do. If you do deadlifts on back day, you'll want to put a day in between back day and leg day, since both squats and dls are extremely taxing to the whole body. Maybe swap Day3 and Day4.

Overtraining results from too much accrued fatigue. Some people can handle 8x your volume, others can handle less. Unless the program is totally screwed no one can answer your question without a ton of personalized information and training history.

The question is: "Do you think I can do this for X weeks and not overtrain?"

Useful inputs are:
Exercises
Frequency
Volume (sets/reps)
Intensity (% of 1RM for each set/exercise)
Any underlying periodization scheme (i.e. scale intensity for 3 weeks then back down volume for 2)

LEGS=
SQUATS (( APEX machine <("<) ))
DECLINED LEG PRESS
LEG EXTENTIONS
LYING LEG CURL
SEATED LEG CURL
STANDING CALF RAISE
SEATED CALF RAISE

TO MUCH OR TO LITTLE???!

With good squat work you shouldn't need the leg press. I do my hamstrings as part of deadlift work so don't do hammy curls at all anymore. Calves, I reckon, get plenty of work from my cleans. I sometimes do seated calf work to fill in but only for the enjoyment of it. Also, with a decent squat program, it's hard to have energy left over for leg extentions and I'm not sure what they do besides burn off some energy.

What it comes down to is that too much/too little can only be taken in the context of the rest of your workout. With a suitable program you could drop all but the squats but you'd have to make them free-weight squats rather than the machine squats.

tha_pllaya said:
LEGS=
SQUATS (( APEX machine <("<) ))
DECLINED LEG PRESS
LEG EXTENTIONS
LYING LEG CURL
SEATED LEG CURL
STANDING CALF RAISE
SEATED CALF RAISE

TO MUCH OR TO LITTLE???!

So now we have the exercises and frequency but no volume or intensity so still absolutely impossible to tell one way or another. Even if you did provide it, we'd still need to make a call on your conditioning level and ability to tolerate workload which can't be done without a training history. This isn't really an 'overtraining' thread per se but more of a 'is this split/workout okay'.

Just looking, rather than too much or too little - I'd just toss it and begin again with the full squat (http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332299) and really focusing on increasing your capacity in this lift over time. For most people I'd probably toss out most everything else but at least cut it down dramatically.

Top Bottom