Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

need some help with this routine

Buddy_Christ

basically just want some suggestions on what to do. i'm done with 5x5. it worked well for me for a few months and i made gains, but i don't feel the frequency of the routine is enough.

3 different days of lifting is what i'm going back to.

Day A - Chest/shoulders
Day B - Back/Arms
Day C - Legs/Abs

the routine will look like this (X = day off)

ABCAB XX CABCA XX and so on. 4 sets of every exercise, upward pyramid of 12, 10, 8, 5-6 reps. i'm going to force myself into doing about 3 second negative, pause, and a good solid drive on the positive. i ran this routine last fall as a newbie lifter and made amazing progress in a few months. in comparison, 5x5 didn't do nearly as much as this routine did.

gym was packed today (semester just started, benches were full, go figure), so i went with a good leg day:

Squats
SLDL
Box Squats - 10x2 instead of 4 sets
Standing calves - 2x15
Seated Calves - 2x15
ABS - 3 sets on decline bench, 25, 18 with 25lbs, 12 with 35lbs

i need to hit my obliques because i never do them. suggestions needed. i'm not too fond of twisting motions or any deep bends to the side because of 2 herniated discs in my mid back, thus the reason i havn't been doing anything for my obliques in the past year. i'll sure as hell give something a try, but if i feel it in my back in a bad way, it's gone from the routine.

for chest/shoulders day, all i'm certain of right now is:

Incline DB
Flat Bench BB
Standing Cable Flies
Shrugs

not sure if i want to do seated OHP on chest/shoulders day or not because i feel it a lot in my lats as well.

back/arms day i'm planning on:

pullups - 2x10
Deads
Neutral Grip pulldowns
side laterals (cable, not db)
tricep pushdowns or skull crushers or both
db preacher curl or incline curl or both
db wrist curls (both ways)

any good suggestions on what to add/remove or if i need to move things from one day to another?

with the rep/set scheme i'm running, my plan is every time i can hit 6 reps on the last set, i'll bump up the weight by 5lbs on all sets the next time. i've done this for the past few months on non 5x5 lifts and i keep making foreward progress, usually every week or every other week...every 3rd week at worst.

help needed and greatly appreciated. thanx. :)

shameless bump for suggestions, criticism, different exercises to throw in, suggestions on any to remove....

i might move tris to chest day, depending on how long the chest workout takes. my target time is 1 hour, which is how long it took me to do that leg routine. squats take me a long time because i stretch real good between each set, thus the full hour for that leg workout.

crak600 said:
shameless bump for suggestions, criticism, different exercises to throw in, suggestions on any to remove....

i might move tris to chest day, depending on how long the chest workout takes. my target time is 1 hour, which is how long it took me to do that leg routine. squats take me a long time because i stretch real good between each set, thus the full hour for that leg workout.
I couldn't imagin lifting 5 days in a row. The routines look good but what if you did ABXCABX.
I personally do not even lift 3 days in a row if I can avoid it.

halfaclue said:
I couldn't imagin lifting 5 days in a row. The routines look good but what if you did ABXCABX.
I personally do not even lift 3 days in a row if I can avoid it.

i can't hit the gym on the weekends, thus the 2 days off in a row. i did 5x a week last fall and i was fine as far as recovery times went. plus it's a bit lower volume/higher frequency and my body responded well the last time, thus the reason i want to do it again.

crak600 said:
i can't hit the gym on the weekends, thus the 2 days off in a row. i did 5x a week last fall and i was fine as far as recovery times went. plus it's a bit lower volume/higher frequency and my body responded well the last time, thus the reason i want to do it again.
If it is working for you run it...you might want to throw in incline DB flies as well...just an after thought.

halfaclue said:
If it is working for you run it...you might want to throw in incline DB flies as well...just an after thought.

i've tried db flies and db side laterals before and it doesn't go over too well with my back. i've had to change up to use cables instead. sucks, but at least i can still use cables.

Top Bottom