Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Member john-c-calhoun and His Confederate Flag Avatar

Is The Confederate Flag Offensive As An Avatar?

• Yes, its offensive

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No, it's not offensive

Votes: 25 89.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I gather, the Confederate flag is a point of geographical and cultural pride for some southerners. Much like someone from the outside can look at the Stars and Stripes flag and see forced mass population movement, imperialism, and genocide, we in the north can look at the Confederate flag and see slavery.

Jacob Creutzfeldt said:
From what I gather, the Confederate flag is a point of geographical and cultural pride for some southerners. Much like someone from the outside can look at the Stars and Stripes flag and see forced mass population movement, imperialism, and genocide, we in the north can look at the Confederate flag and see slavery.

Creutzy!!!!!

For those that don't know John C Calhoun was a long time senator from South Carolina that was also the vice president under the Jackson and JQ Adams administrations. About 40 years before the civil war he was the first politician to warn his colleages that cessation of the southern states was a real possibility if the government did not stop imposing tarrifs on imported goods which brought havoc to the southern states economy - but protected northern manufacturing interests. He came up with the concept of nullification, where a state had the right to nullify a law that was unconstitutional and in 1832 SC nullified various tariffs on imported goods. Congess then passed a bill that said the government could use force against a state to enforce these tariffs (SC nullified that too). President Jackson sent warships to the coast of SC and the civil war nearly began in 1832. A few years after he died his words proved prophetic - the Morril tariffs were implemented and the southern states called it quits and began cesseding.

You don't need to be all broken out with brightness to figure out where I come from - thus the screen name and avatar. Wondering why someone chooses a screenname and picture seems like a strange topic and its amazing that its 16 pages long. :confused:

so you chose the name and flag because you feel strongly about 19th century states rights issues. cool!

p.s. most writeups seem to indicate he was best known as a strong advocate of slavery.

and like gambini said (i think), nit pik technicalities all you want, most blacks find it offensive - thats why its being removed as a part of state flags one by one

Mavafanculo said:
so you chose the name and flag because you feel strongly about 19th century states rights issues. cool!

p.s. most writeups seem to indicate he was best known as a strong advocate of slavery.

and like gambini said (i think), nit pik technicalities all you want, most blacks find it offensive - thats why its being removed as a part of state flags one by one
Exactly! And at the end of the day its not about facts and circumstances anyway. It's all about feelings. Just like if some guy feels like a particular race, gender, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation of people are bad he should listen to his feelings, right? Let's not nit pik those issues either, 'cause face it, if you feel it, you just feel it.

Mavafanculo said:

lol

Dude, you really keep seeing what you want to. It's getting funny.

Mavafanculo said:

Most blacks find it offensive because they are completely ignorant regarding that entire part of US history. Considering most can't even put a proper sentence together, I doubt those that consider it offensive even made it anywhere near a college level course.

It's just one more thing to bitch about to try and get something for free instead of working for it like everyone else.

Hell as much as I hate the illegal mojados coming in droves into this country, at least most work their asses off to make money rather than sitting on their ass leeching off the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom