Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mac vs Vista 32/64-bit

Razorguns said:
the world of HD video has changed *everything*. 1920x1080 uncompressed with 4:4:4 color sampling requires gargantuan computing power through HD-SDI input. Even with a poor man's HDV 4:2:0 compression workflow of it.

SD editing is easy as pie. I can edit family videos all day! lol.

me = sad panda. Learning mac and getting up to speed is gonna waste another month of my time.

Guess it's hard to be a rebel and be pro-Windows-fanboy in Hollywood. Sooner or later you will lose the war.

r

The big ass pain with editing HDV is the long GOP processing involved. Bite the bullet and buy an intermediate codec such as Cineform. Visually lossless and a helluva lot speedier when editing in an NLE such as premier/after effects.

jnuts said:
The big ass pain with editing HDV is the long GOP processing involved. Bite the bullet and buy an intermediate codec such as Cineform. Visually lossless and a helluva lot speedier when editing in an NLE such as premier/after effects.

You mean AspectHD right? Since everyone and their mother is bitching about Adobe not providing proper 24f presets for canon xh a1. I was looking at that. Better be worth that $500!

r

I think that or NeoHD has a 15 day free trial - give it a whirl.

FWIW, I'm trying to go a cheaper path using avisynth and huffyuv, logarith, or mjpeg2000 for an intermediate codec.

If you go to hv20.com, there is a 3:2 pulldown workflow thread to get past the 24f issues. (I'm using an HV-20 - same issue with 24pf)

I personally would go with mac. And I have also heard nothing but bad stories regarding vista.

I would go with XP (SP3 coming soon) or XP 64. I've been holding out on XP64, though. I'm not sure if it would all be jiggy with my drivers. Next time I reinstall the os on this machine I'll probably set it up for dual boot. If I need linux, I just run the latest ubuntu distro inside a vmware vm.

I've gone back and forth on getting a mac or not - I'm still not ready to switch. My shit doesn't get virii, spyware or crash all the time - so I don't see the need.

Argh!

I wanna buy a new computer. Rendering, editing, visual fx, 3d modelling, reading tmz.com, all that good shit.

Im an OS enginerr.. I work exclusively in the Windows desktop environment.. I can absolutely say BUY A MAC.

One of our IS engineering team brought his in and showed me what it could do.. just blows away Windows.. amazing fucking OS

Jnuts: I'm just gonna grab AspectHD. Already have it in my budget. I think others use HDVUtility (?) but it just seems so much of a time saver. But you're right, i'll probably grab the trial first, and see how effective this codec is in my workflow (gonna use MOV's btw).

My brother has the hv-20 and I think he already knows about that pulldown thread. I'll ask him. thanks.

milo: For years i've been the butt of jokes doing 3d graphics and visual fx in windows. Somehow I kept up with the mac crowd with my shit. But now that they're 16GB and i'm stuck at 3GB, you're right. Time to throw in the towel. One guy even has a mac and uses a ps3 as a render engine!! lol

XP64 - Same probs i hear. Dynamic link crashes. And that's the whole backbone of my editing in CS3. I need that.

I'll buy a souped up mac after I put this 'in the can'. Just can't afford a whole month off. I got people waiting. Thx.

r

HDVUtility is only useful if you are going the opensource route - it munges together a few steps and auto creates avisynth scripts.

If you can afford to go Cineform, I'd jump all over that. Everybody that uses it loves it - they just hate the cost!

jnuts said:
HDVUtility is only useful if you are going the opensource route - it munges together a few steps and auto creates avisynth scripts.

If you can afford to go Cineform, I'd jump all over that. Everybody that uses it loves it - they just hate the cost!

yeah. It hurts, but everything else 35mm adapters, rigs, lenses, mics, 3-point lighting, matteboxes, rails, tripods, videocopilot.net dvds, blu-ray replication, etc. is all gonna cost - so i consider it a one-time cost. After that - i can pump out whatever footage/flick/pilot/fx I want. :)

Thank god that Osama guy is paying for all of us. Thanks Osama for giving me those lucrative DHS contracts! :)

Gonna try and buy most everything else on craigslist. It helps a lot sometimes to live in la. You can get everything. I got my canon xh a1 full kit with bag, vaast DVD, etc for $2800!

r

Top Bottom