Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

lower back workout

the nature boy

here's my situation. I'm trying to cur right now so I work out 3 days a week and do cardio in the morining 3 to 5 days per week.

On leg day I do deadlifts and squats and that's it for legs.

Should I even bother doing anything for lower back considering that my lowerback is fried after doing deads and squats?

Thanks

I'd add some reverse hypers to your routine.I do 2 sets of moderate to high reps at the beginning of my routine to warm up and they are awesome.My lower back muscles get a good pump and my squats and pulls are progressing nicely.I've always believed a little direct low back work to be good for injury prevention.

It depends...

Do you use a belt when you squat and deadlift?

If so, chances are that your lower back is getting much less stabilization work from the aforementioned exercises. Hyperextensions are okay but seem to recruit too much hamstrings for good lower back work in some individuals who may be biomechanically prone to that situation. Personally, I find that a lower back machine works much better at specifically targeting your erectors. Again, this is only if you're using a belt for squat and deadlift support.

Best of luck bro. :)

lifting belts don't support your back at all, thats a common misconception. their purpose is only to make sure you dont get a hernia.

px1138 said:
lifting belts don't support your back at all, thats a common misconception. their purpose is only to make sure you dont get a hernia.

Actually, the lower back is stabilized to some degree by the abdomen's outward pressure against the front of the belt, thus causing increased pressure of the belt around the entire region during a given exercise. This is why many people discourage the use of belts in training...because it indirectly encourages the user the force his/her abdomen against the belt rather than contracting the midsection for free-weight stabilization. Besides, if chronic overuse is the case, core strength can be compromised with a belt.

geneticking> agreed. i thought you were insinuating that low back support WAS the belts function, and thats one of my pet peaves .. by the way where in NE TN are you from?

I actually don't use a belt. I heard that weight belts can increase your waist size (probably a myth). I figure if I use good form I shouldn't need one, plus I have a hard time breathing when wearing a belt.

Top Bottom