Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Low carb bars... a scientific question.

Big Country 056

How would the glycerol in these bars affect a fat loss diet? I know that they do not cause an insulin response (neglegible, if any), but then where do these "invisible" calories go? I know that some of you don't like them because they tend to bloat , but I do not have this problem. So, other than that, are there any scientific reasons not to use them on a low carb diet?

The FDA will soon be requiring product labels to include glycerin in the carbohydrate count. if you look on the label and do the math it is in the calorie count.

that is all I know about that...

1) Sugar alcohols do not effect insulin, 2) they may or may not effect liver glycogen (which determines if you get into ketosis or not), 3) and the energy from them must be figured into your daily intake -- I would consider them similar to fat or fructose, depending on the answer to 2)

Consider glycerine to be similar to alcohol. It's basically processed the same way. No insulin spike, but it's burned preferentially.

Simple question, LONG answer.

before I'd get started: you DO know the basics about digestion, insulin action, gluconeogenesis, fat storage, etc., right?

Otherwise: short answer:

It isn't stored THAT easily, and it won't CONTRIBUTE to fat storage. But, it's the ultimate empty calorie, providing energy but NO nutrients.

Belial,
To be honest, I do know about the digestion of "normal nutrients", but I would not mind a more detailed explaination, if you have time. The reason that I keep on about this is that I have a contest in 9 weeks and my appetite has grown as my bodyfat has dropped! I just want to be sure that these products will not have any negative effect on the goal that I am trying to reach... Thanks.

Top Bottom