Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lifting with no belt?

I've not used my belt for at least 18 months except to attach a chain to while sled-dragging, this includes periods of setting new 1RM and 3RM maxes in squats. I've never used a belt while deadlifting.

I think not using the belt does work to strengthen your core. Throwing in some front squats and good mornings from time to time can target your core a little more directly. I like to think of it in terms of functional strength and any time you come to lift something while you are on your feet then the forces have to go through your core. Having a core that is of the same calibre as the rest of your development should help you to use your strength and remain injury-free in the real world.

Like BW, I've set my PRs on dead and Oly squat beltless (500 and 515, respectively) and I don't feel that a belt would've done me any good. I personally feel that if you train heavy without it, you don't need it even when maxing. But for the odd 1rm attempt, I don't think it's a bad idea to use one.

As has been said, a belt acts as a crutch for a weak midsection. Regular use use of a belt only allows the strength deficit between the midsection and the other major muscles to widen.

Top Bottom