Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Land of the 1/4 rep....

OTCbooty

The folks I used to lift with were so much more advanced than I was/am and were such great role models...now I'm really beginning to appreciate what I sweet deal I had before we moved.

I'm noticing at the new gym that there a SOOO many people using crappy form and limited ROM that I'm stressed out just to work out there. I'm thinking of investing in a pair of equestrian blinders, LOL. For instance the 3 guys who work out together and have done so for 3 years at that gym, according to someone I griped to the other day---they're using the assisted dip/pullup machine still. Now any typical male who, after 3 years of training, can't do his own damn dips or pullups has a real problem. But not only are they using half the stack of assistance weight, they're only doing this 1/4 rep thing which would certainly account for their lack of strength. And that's only one piece of equipment...

Do you ever offer advice to others? These guys are a lost cause, but I see some people who are obviously new to training making all the little form errors that are easy to make if you don't know any better, but which drastically reduce the effectiveness/increase risk of injury. I'm particularly tempted to chat with some of the older men and women who might welcome it???? Or should I just get some blinders and work on being less perfectionist, less anal-retentive, and less a busy body?

Ahh, another "Little Dipper" :D I saw this man on the dip bar dipping about 3 inches. Funny thing was, he was making it look like such an effort. I'd speak up if I thought someone was going to injure themselves, but mostly what I see won't cause injury OR progress. I've attempted to categorize some behaviors I observe frequently. I'm sure my gym is not unique in these:

Body English Contingent - These are the folks who pull and jerk their bodies every which way and work everything EXCEPT the muscle they're supposed to. Starts from rep #1 too.

Bench Bouncers - Use their chests as a trampoline when doing bench press.

The Clackers - Have to clack dumbells together on every damn rep.

No Shit Sherlocks - Typically confined to machines. Has used same machine many times before, but every time must examine as if it's the most interesting thing ever encountered, like there's gold dust hidden in the nooks and crannies.

Bench Shriners - Spends an inordinant amount of time preparing for what must be their own private benching competition. Not just putting weights on the bar, but getting everything just so, and then rather than lifting, getting up to check and recheck, adjust clothes, hair, waiting for stars to align. Then doing just a few reps (not even with much effort) and leaving. Frequently leaves bar racked with weights, never to return.

Me & My Shadows - The people who always want to "work in". I don't mind this every once in awhile, but jeesh, some people just can't use a little imagination or patience in the weight room. They have to have THAT weight, bench, machine or whatever, and then they want to keep following you. These people seem to have faulty olfactory organs too, because they are not repelled by even the nastiest of protein f*rts! :mix:

one more.......the barbell or dumbell "swingers" hee hee

but actually i see some of this......and dont say anything....dont want to look like i actually have an attitude......even though i do big time! :D

the only thing i do tell people is to get out of the frickin way and stop doing their sets directly in front of the db rack grrrrrrrr

Hah, one of my favorite subjects. There are two guys in my gym that I have nicknamed "No Results Man", and "No Results Man II". Both guys lift relatively heavy weights, but never do more than a 1/4 rep. No Results Man has been at my gym for at least 8 years, and still has a 44+" waist line. Sometimes I feel like asking him, "So what type of injury do you have the prevents you from actually doing a full rep?", but then I think its just a waste of time. Both of them will do cardio for over 45 minutes, at a blistering 80 strides per minute or less on the eliptical trainers. I truely feel sorry for these clowns...

heeheehee

My husband and I watching this guy the other night use the shrug rack as his own personal cross-trainer by walking around the gym and one-by-one picking up the flat, incline, and decline bench, carrying it over TO THE SHRUG RACK TO BENCH!

Please note that the 3 of us were the ONLY ONES in the gym and our gym has an excessive amount of bench press stations this guy could have used.

We watched the jackass because my husband wanted to shrug but couldn't because this guy was glued to the rack!!!

My gym has soooo many "No Results People" it's pathetic. Just for fun I watch this one guy every night (yes, this moron does this same thing EVERY NIGHT) come in, sit on the stationary bike and watch TV, except he forgets to MOVE HIS LEGS!!! Then he gets up and leans on the Stairmaster and watches TV, then he walks around the free weight area talking to people.

He came up to me a few weeks ago and said "Why aren't I loosing weight? What can I do to look as good as you?" I responded "Oh, I just have really good genetics!" (NOT)

VDL

Last edited:
What really bugs me are these women that look @ me like I am some kind of freak because I am grunting and growling trying to get that last rep in, I do not have a spotter so it is very hard sometimes and it takes everything in me to pound out that last one. I have to push myself, no one there to help!!:( Then there are the equipment/machine junkies... Will use EVERY single piece of equip in the gym and only do 1 set maybe 3-4 reps very light!!:mad: Never even touch the free weights!:D

Top Bottom