Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I Just Finished a Heart to Heart With My Best Friend...

then he's got it worse than others who are chasing the "American Dream" with the illusion that it will make them happy and content. at least these people have something to work towards, they have hope...unlike you friend who already accomplished that goal and unfortunately for him the Amer. dream didn't make him "happy"...now what will he work towards to make himself happy? what else does society say is the next step?

The point is that securing the "American Dream" is bullshit...

I'm done...you admit to propaganda...

The point is that securing the "American Dream" is bullshit...

I'm done...you admit to propaganda...

so did u live the AD?

and yeah i got what you meant. i guess i was trying to make the same point, just worded differently.:)

My old roommate in Paris, a Lebanese woman by the name of Norah and I used to have this exchange all the time. We caught ourselves questioning if we had it better than our parents. Our parents had to struggle merely to SURVIVE. They didn't have "the luxury" to question whether or not "they were happy" = "The American Dream"... So we wondered if all of this idol time that our lifestyles had afforded us were a blessing or a curse.

We had some AWESOME discussions. Our lives were so different yet we struggled with the same ideas and neither of us ever even thought about "The American Dream." (She'd never even visited the US).

Sorry Americans... believe it or not there are other countries in the world where *that dream* (living peacefully with your family not having to struggle just to survive... literally) is considered desirable for MOST to achieve.

Norah was not married - never been and had no children but she was older of 13 children from a country where physical survival was a daily issue. She said, "My mother and father had to struggle EVERY SECOND just to keep living. They didn't have THE TIME to worry about whether or not they were happy." She had a tremendous career as a mechanical engineer, living in a nice apartment in Paris... something that was nearly unheard of for women from her country/village. She had sisters that lived traditionally, married w/children and yet her sisters were no happier than she and she wasn't really happier than her sisters.

All led me to an even stronger feeling that happiness is all about how you feel INSIDE and not necessarily what is going on around you. The human condition is always restless. I think that one can feel happiness when they are proud of their accomplishments and have positive people in their lives, try to keep negativity at a minimum. Once you reach your goals, then you set another and another and another...

Top Bottom