Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

hurt wrist benching

You guys ever hear of dequervain's tenosynovitis.

1) Definition - Tenosynovitis implies inflammation of a tendon and its enveloping sheath; deQuervain's tenosynovitis is a specific type of this entity which involves the tendons of two specific muscles on the thumb side of the hand - the abductor pollicis longus (APL) and the extensor pollicis brevis (EPB). These muscles are located in the forearm and their tendons travel across the wrist (through a "tunnel" termed the first dorsal compartment) on the thumb side to produce movement of the thumb. The walls of the affected tendon sheaths (basically protective coverings for the tendons) become thickened and inflamed

Signs and Symptoms - Patients typically complain of the gradual onset of pain over the area indicated above by the red dot (over the radial styloid, an area of a bone in the forearm) when they use their thumb on the affected hand. The sufferer may relate that the pain has gradually increased over that past few weeks or months. The patient experiences difficulties with gripping and pinching, and in severe cases, the affected hand may be too painful to use. The pain may radiate into the thumb, or up into the forearm or shoulder. Examination of the affected area reveals thickening and tenderness. A test commonly used to evaluate the presence of this disease is Finkelstein's test; the patient is instructed to grasp the thumb of the affected hand with the other fingers and actively pull the thumb towards the small finger. Sharp pain will be elicited over the area indicated by the red dot if the patient suffers from deQuervain's tenosynovitis. This condition must be differentiated from arthritis at the base of the thumb. If the disease is allowed to progress without treatment, it is possible that fibrosis within the tendon sheath may result and a clinical picture similar to trigger finger (see other section) may result with limited motion. Ultrasound examination has recently been used to confirm the diagnosis and can be used to follow up after treatment.

- Possible causes - The precise cause of deQuervain's tenosynovitis is unknown. It is thought that excessive friction from overuse of the thumb and wrist (excessive and repetitive gripping and grasping actions) may be a factor, leading to thickening of the tissues in the compartment housing the APL and EPB tendons. For example, cases have been described in bricklayers, those who sew, piano players, fly fishermen, and golfers. It has also been hypothesized that the condition in some cases may be associated with acute injury to the involved area (direct blow to the forearm or wrist, falling on the thumb). However, most cases appear to be associated with a more monotonous, "chronic trauma" picture as mentioned above.

Do you keep your wrist straight while benching or do they fold back some? If you are having trouble keeping them staight the wrapping sounds like a solid idea to help keep them straight. I just read something about this helping somewhere else also.

Perp

skullcrushin22 said:
You guys ever hear of dequervain's tenosynovitis.

1) Definition - Tenosynovitis implies inflammation of a tendon and its enveloping sheath; deQuervain's tenosynovitis is a specific type of this entity which involves the tendons of two specific muscles on the thumb side of the hand - the abductor pollicis longus (APL) and the extensor pollicis brevis (EPB). These muscles are located in the forearm and their tendons travel across the wrist (through a "tunnel" termed the first dorsal compartment) on the thumb side to produce movement of the thumb. The walls of the affected tendon sheaths (basically protective coverings for the tendons) become thickened and inflamed

Signs and Symptoms - Patients typically complain of the gradual onset of pain over the area indicated above by the red dot (over the radial styloid, an area of a bone in the forearm) when they use their thumb on the affected hand. The sufferer may relate that the pain has gradually increased over that past few weeks or months. The patient experiences difficulties with gripping and pinching, and in severe cases, the affected hand may be too painful to use. The pain may radiate into the thumb, or up into the forearm or shoulder. Examination of the affected area reveals thickening and tenderness. A test commonly used to evaluate the presence of this disease is Finkelstein's test; the patient is instructed to grasp the thumb of the affected hand with the other fingers and actively pull the thumb towards the small finger. Sharp pain will be elicited over the area indicated by the red dot if the patient suffers from deQuervain's tenosynovitis. This condition must be differentiated from arthritis at the base of the thumb. If the disease is allowed to progress without treatment, it is possible that fibrosis within the tendon sheath may result and a clinical picture similar to trigger finger (see other section) may result with limited motion. Ultrasound examination has recently been used to confirm the diagnosis and can be used to follow up after treatment.

- Possible causes - The precise cause of deQuervain's tenosynovitis is unknown. It is thought that excessive friction from overuse of the thumb and wrist (excessive and repetitive gripping and grasping actions) may be a factor, leading to thickening of the tissues in the compartment housing the APL and EPB tendons. For example, cases have been described in bricklayers, those who sew, piano players, fly fishermen, and golfers. It has also been hypothesized that the condition in some cases may be associated with acute injury to the involved area (direct blow to the forearm or wrist, falling on the thumb). However, most cases appear to be associated with a more monotonous, "chronic trauma" picture as mentioned above.

Unfortunately this describes my wrist just about perfectly. I have made an appointment to see a doctor today.

i do have dequervain's tenosynovitis they have prescribed me some anti inflam's and if that doesnt work they will inject cortisone. Yay .... atleast i know what it is and they seem to think with the pills ill be able to lift just strap up and should be ok within a few months.

perp69 said:
Do you keep your wrist straight while benching or do they fold back some? If you are having trouble keeping them staight the wrapping sounds like a solid idea to help keep them straight. I just read something about this helping somewhere else also.

Perp
The wrapping works great for me. I still have the pain, but the wrapping gets me through my work out. I had surgery already so im going to just keep using the wraps to get through it!!

fEkuaR. said:
i do have dequervain's tenosynovitis they have prescribed me some anti inflam's and if that doesnt work they will inject cortisone. Yay .... atleast i know what it is and they seem to think with the pills ill be able to lift just strap up and should be ok within a few months.

You should have to wear some sort of brace for six weeks while taking the anti inflams. I hear that you shouldnt lift though, I dont think that will help. Cause gripping anything will cause those two tendons to act up.

Solid advice.

Even a basic pair of wrist wraps from Dick's or Sport Authority will do the trick. Wrapping your wrists is on par with wearing a belt when squatting - except you are protecting a singular joint that is having the load focused on it solely.

Personal experience has taught me to wear a loose wrap on 'heavy' sets and a tight wrap on working sets. Warmups and some back off sets should be done without wraps.

This is no way will cure the injury - rest, time, and anti-inflammatories are needed - but will address the issue moving forward.

perp69 said:

Perp

skullcrushin22 said:
You should have to wear some sort of brace for six weeks while taking the anti inflams. I hear that you shouldnt lift though, I dont think that will help. Cause gripping anything will cause those two tendons to act up.

your probably right and it wont help. It just sickens me to watch my hard earned progress go out the window. If it seems to not clear up with the anti inflams then ill have no choice but to rest. But if i can get away with it even lifting light with excercises such as curls to prevent excessive strain then ill give it a go.

Im not sure if it was the anti inflams but last night after my second pill i was so crook i could hardly move. Fuck did i feel sick. So i havnt had any today as i didnt want to end up like that at work. Ill see if it agrees with me after lunch today.

Top Bottom