Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how to retain muscle when recovering from surgery

jbear22

Hi ladies,

this question may be kind of stupid but I'm going to ask you experts anyway.

For the last three years I have trained with a personal trainer and managed to gain muscle definition and achieve really low body fat- probably around 10%. But now I need to have some major surgery next month to repair a bladder and rectal prolapse from delivering my three children.

Needless to say the recovery will be long-months - before I can really lift anything more than 15 lbs. So I am worried I will lose all the muscle i've worked so hard for. Are there any supplements I can take to help me hold on longer to the muscle I've gained?

I recently ordered CLA , Glutamine and Phosphagen from the Body of Life website. Would it help me to continue these?

Opinions anyone? Sorry so long.
Jessica

I'm also interested in hearing what they tell you!

A really, really clean diet with no crap in it will be the key I think. I know some experts will chime in here to advise you but I know the diet is critical.

How old are your kiddos?

the amino acids Leucine and Glutamine are proven to preserve lean muscle in patients with extended stays/ immobility issues

in particular Luecine.

take 20-30 grams of each spread out though the day, daily and with juice of some sort

take care :)

ps you might go poopy a bit more then usual the first week since isolated amino acids can have a laxative like effect till your body get used to them, its no biggie

I had a similar surgery after my four. You WILL lose some mass but the good news is muscles have memory and you will bounce back fairly quickly once you get clearance from your doc to get back into the swing of things.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT do something stoopid like getting back to the gym before your doc tells you to as this may cause you to heal improperly or injure yourself causing you a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR setback.

OK?

Take your time to convalesce. Let your body heal then come back with a renewed enthusiasm to make your body truly amazing again.

Trust me when I tell you that it can be done. :)

I had a complete achilles rupture a year and a half ago, and my calf that was in a plaster ended up being half the size of my other calf, which also got bigger as it was moving my entire body weight aroud for six months.

By the time I was walking again, within about 4 weeks, the difference between the two was minimal.

Like Kini said, muscle memory.

You would be surprised at how fast things will come back.

jbear22 said:
Hi curvymommy,

My kids are 7, 4 and 3. You have kids too?
Hi Jbear. Yes, my kids are 4 and 5. A girl and a boy and I'm DONE :)

I asked the same question you are to a trainer at my gym just last week. You'll probably get better info from the people here though! The people on this forum are spectacular and very helpful.

Welcome!

Hey there! I would think eat clean and get back to exercising as soon as YOUR DR. says it okay. Listen to them and your recovery time. I have 3 kids also...11, 8 and 6. Hang in there...you will be moving before you know it

I just had 2 back to back surgery's and had to take time off the gym.
I just ate really clean, lots and lots of protein and no cheats.

I am back at the gym now and I can tell you muscle memory is a wonderful thing. I am not back to where I was presurgery, but almost and I feel great.

I did SS cardio on the bike and treadmill when my doc let me for 45- 1 hour a week or two before I was able to lift again and I think that helped alot.

Good luck.

Top Bottom