Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High Reps Anyone?

kaisersose

I have always been willing to try new work out routines and switch things up a bit in the gym. I feel it is an important part of growth. You gotta break the status quo. I am a hardgainer so I am always looking for any kind of suggestions from an experienced bro. Last night at the gym, I got into a conversation with arguably one of the most built guys at the gym. Now this guy isnt Ron Coleman big, but he is a freakin cut ox. He told me that when he trains he keeps his reps high. He recommended that all of my sets be at least 15 reps and no more than 25 reps. I am skeptical but dang, this guy is built and he is all natty...a very knowledgeable guy it seems from past conversations outside of this one. A couple of years ago, I came across another guy that had the biggest arms of anyone I have ever seen. I could not stop staring. I ended up seeing him outside of the gym one day and asked him how in the world he got his arms so big. He told me the same thing....he never lets his rep range go under 16. Sorry for the long post, but what about you bro's out there? Do you guys keep a high rep workout? Prior to this, I was following a 10 to 12 rep range.

High reps is more for endurance and preferentially works white muscle fibers (slow-twitch). Low reps work your red muscle fibers (fast-twitch) more but have been shown to be better for hypertrophy.

Having said that, I thikn it useful to switch to higher reps for a few weeks or months in order to keep that balance going. Train heavy a lot and you mostly make your red muscle fibers grow. Switch to training higher rep for a bit and bring your white muscle fibers up in size as well. I don't think training exclusively at high reps is the best way to gain mass though.

Historically, i do power lifting, low rep heavy.. even static training i love..

but since Oct last, i've been doing high rep/light weights.. i like the way it has changed my body.. significant change by the way..

this is an example of a recent set..

chest yesterday..

incline db

95 x 12
80 x 20
80 x 20
55 x 20

tri french press

55 x 20
55 x 20
55 x20
55 x 20 rest pause on the last 10

cable cross

60 x 20
70 x 20
80 x 20
60 x 20

tri cable press down

80 x 20
100 x 20
120 x 20
80 x 35

Thank you spywizard. I am kind of excited to change my work out routine a little bit. I hope I will see some good changes as well. Glad it is working for you.

sure, here is a typical leg routine..

leg extension
125 x 20
150 x 20
200 x 20
150 x 20 drop set 100 x 20 75 x 20

squat
125 x 8
200 x 20
300 x 20
400 x 8
150 x 20

calf raises seated
135 x 20
180 x 20
225 x 20
180 x 30 or you cry

hip sled super setting with calf

315 x 20
405 x 20
495 x 20
315 x 20

I like to use high-reps when my joints start to hurt. Nothing like lowering the weight for a week and going high reps to stretch everything out. I don't personally use it for a routine, but I'm sure if it was organized around adding weight it would work.

Just to correct what a previous poster said.....

Your "red" muscle fibers are your SLOW Twitch muscle Fibers

Your "white" muscle fibers are your Fast Twitch muscle fibers.

Red=blood=endurance=O2 Which means these are the ones that use Oxidative Metabolism IE Slow Twitch.

I'm also in favor of mixing thing up but I'd like to point out that if you're a hardgainer then most sources will tell you that low reps and adequate rest between sets are the way to go. Everyone's different- someone else's results might not work best for you- but if you're motivated, there's no time like the present for finding out if high reps will work for you.

s8nlilhlpr said:
I like to use high-reps when my joints start to hurt. Nothing like lowering the weight for a week and going high reps to stretch everything out. I don't personally use it for a routine, but I'm sure if it was organized around adding weight it would work.

lactate acid helps on healing achey ligaments and joints

there's no magic rep range, sorry. Loading can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be, the deciding factor in a routines effectiveness is how your body responds to load.

if you're a real hardgainer with no strength base then you'll guarenteed get smaller and weaker doing endurance workouts. If you were to go benching 315+ for those 15 rep sets then sure, but if you'll be handling 65lbs then it's a one way ticket to kurzville.

Top Bottom