Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gym or home gym?

When I get a larger house I will have a home gym and it is going to be large with everything I need.

For now I stick with a gym that costs $200 a year.

The big thing for me is having the right equipment. I would be shortchanged if I did a home gym now because I wouldn't have any place to put everything.

Outside gym hands down. No comparison. A home gym is good if you're doing it just to stay in shape or for fitness purposes.

im going to agree 100% with traz, no comparison

brad34 said:
Right now I am paying $71 a month for my gym membership plus 10 miles each way drive 4x a week, so total with gas and membership $150/month. Instead I am thinking about purchasing some Powertec equipment for the home, but I am worried I will slack at home because going to the gym keeps me focused.

Has anyone else made this change and been successful? Or not successful?

Seems like a lot for a membership. In any case, I use a home gym and dumbells for several body parts. I have no problem with the focus, and I don't have to wait to use equipment, so my changeover time is great. However, there are just certain excercises that most home gyms can't duplicate- or at least duplicate well- such as legs (Squats, press, etc)...so for me, a split works best- 3 days home, 2 days gym.

I started out working out in my dads garage when I was 13 and didn't joina gym for 3 years. Though that the gym would be better, because of all of the fancy machines that all of the 80's and early 90's pros were using, but it was really a massive mistake. 10 years later and I've got a home gym that is better than just about anything this city has to offer. I've got my own squat rack, bench and dip/chin stand, 300kg in bumper plate form at and some oly dumbell handles. I've sunk 80kg of alu sheeting into the floor where the bar drops and the whole gyn has 3/4 inch rubber matting and a treadmill and rower. It's a 17x12 foot steel shed raised up on 10 inch blocks so I can lift overhead comfortably. There's power, heating, fans, sound system and a TV is coming so I can watch Ronnie while I'm doing my cardio!

I need nothing more!
I never:
wait for equipment
put some other asshole's plates away
get distracted by 'morons in the gym...'
get asked for a spot/advice
worry about what I'm wearing
worry about looking weird (doing good mornings, drop snatches, etc...)
get stuck in traffic going to the gym
get told by pussys not to drop the plates, use chalk, put my gym bag away (even though it's got everything in it that I need for a workout: water, wraps, belt, sweater, hat, resin, straps, etc)
worry if the gym will be closed or have shorter hours around holidays
worry if the gym will be closed by the time I finish work
worry if the gym will be closing before I've done all of my sets
have to look at fat hairy asses in the changing rooms
PAY A GYM MEMBERSHIP EVER AGAIN!

Seriously cant beat it - my focus is still very strong and my progress is more on track because I'm never trying to impress people with stuff that's not in the program - like a heavy single on bench to show up the team bench collage boys on the next bench.

Whole setup cost less than $5,000 and it's adding value to my house if I ever sell.

It can be tough to get motivated at home. But I pick working out at home over going to the gym as long as you have everything you need.

The powetech stuff isn't bad if you can get a good deal. Look on Craigslist. Everytime I do I wish I had more space, because you could really outfit yourself with a lot of great equipment for not much cash.

If you start out with a power rack, adjustable bench and some dumbbells you'll be good to go. Success is dependent on your desire. Plenty of people join gyms and never go. For me, I'd rather go down to the basement and have at it then go to the gym and wait for some douche to finish curling in the power rack...

I've never been to a gym, everything I have is at home and it's pretty comprehensive (actually, if I think about it I've got a bit too much equipment ... and there are still a couple of things I'd like) but working out from home is just like working from home. Not everyone is wired to do it. If you're not capable of self starting, having the discipline to hold yourself accountable in sticking to a routine and actually going and doing it (which is what I find the hardest) then forget it. I hold myself accountable with logs and timing my workouts, etc. (guilt, too, it helps). Honestly, I would never work out if I had to go to a gym.

Buuuuut, my entire set up takes up a MAJOR portion of my basement and dining room (cardio equipment is in the dining room) and took time and money to acquire (the cardio stuff was pricier than the weights) not to mention the fact I have NO idea what we're doing with some of the stuff if we ever do sell this house. My husband says leave it with the property, free gift with purchase ...

Actually, I'm looking to go one step further. My original goals for working out have changed over the years, so I was thinking of going to a crossfit type of workout. No gym, no equipment other then a pullup bar and a bench (with no weights). Wish me luck.

musketeer said:
I started out working out in my dads garage when I was 13 and didn't joina gym for 3 years. Though that the gym would be better, because of all of the fancy machines that all of the 80's and early 90's pros were using, but it was really a massive mistake. 10 years later and I've got a home gym that is better than just about anything this city has to offer. I've got my own squat rack, bench and dip/chin stand, 300kg in bumper plate form at and some oly dumbell handles. I've sunk 80kg of alu sheeting into the floor where the bar drops and the whole gyn has 3/4 inch rubber matting and a treadmill and rower. It's a 17x12 foot steel shed raised up on 10 inch blocks so I can lift overhead comfortably. There's power, heating, fans, sound system and a TV is coming so I can watch Ronnie while I'm doing my cardio!

I need nothing more!
I never:
wait for equipment
put some other asshole's plates away
get distracted by 'morons in the gym...'
get asked for a spot/advice
worry about what I'm wearing
worry about looking weird (doing good mornings, drop snatches, etc...)
get stuck in traffic going to the gym
get told by pussys not to drop the plates, use chalk, put my gym bag away (even though it's got everything in it that I need for a workout: water, wraps, belt, sweater, hat, resin, straps, etc)
worry if the gym will be closed or have shorter hours around holidays
worry if the gym will be closed by the time I finish work
worry if the gym will be closing before I've done all of my sets
have to look at fat hairy asses in the changing rooms
PAY A GYM MEMBERSHIP EVER AGAIN!

Seriously cant beat it - my focus is still very strong and my progress is more on track because I'm never trying to impress people with stuff that's not in the program - like a heavy single on bench to show up the team bench collage boys on the next bench.

Whole setup cost less than $5,000 and it's adding value to my house if I ever sell.

Can I come over and play at your house? :qt:

Top Bottom