Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Going running= getting stronger?

markshark

MVP
EF VIP
its been a few years since i really posted anything on here. a lot of you know me and a lot dont. either way im now 29 years old, ive been lifting since i was about 17. around 19 i started to follow the typical flex/muscle & fitness training splits that are overwhelmingly common amongst most recreational weight lifters in the gym and have decided to try some things now outside of the box. at this point i just do what i feel. i might take a ten day rest period between body parts just because the extra recovery time feels right to me. recently i started doin a little more cardio in order to cut fat, but my cardio is only done 3 times a week (interval cardio for 20 min). now, most weight lifting magazines will never tell you to do cardio 2 days in a row if u want to get stronger (i still continue to lift heavy, as i always have). the thing is, i go running the next day. i do it because i love it in what it does for my body and endurance, but what ive recently noticed is that since i began running outside my strength on my lifts has gone UP. im curious if anyone has any comments on this. is it possibly increasing because my core is getting stronger? maybe my muscle strength is going up from running uphill? just curious what you all think about this. thanks

its been a few years since i really posted anything on here. a lot of you know me and a lot dont. either way im now 29 years old, ive been lifting since i was about 17. around 19 i started to follow the typical flex/muscle & fitness training splits that are overwhelmingly common amongst most recreational weight lifters in the gym and have decided to try some things now outside of the box. at this point i just do what i feel. i might take a ten day rest period between body parts just because the extra recovery time feels right to me. recently i started doin a little more cardio in order to cut fat, but my cardio is only done 3 times a week (interval cardio for 20 min). now, most weight lifting magazines will never tell you to do cardio 2 days in a row if u want to get stronger (i still continue to lift heavy, as i always have). the thing is, i go running the next day. i do it because i love it in what it does for my body and endurance, but what ive recently noticed is that since i began running outside my strength on my lifts has gone UP. im curious if anyone has any comments on this. is it possibly increasing because my core is getting stronger? maybe my muscle strength is going up from running uphill? just curious what you all think about this. thanks

Typically running will work your Type 1 muscle fibers and anaerobic lifting will increase your Type 2 which control strength and size. So no, there should be no carry over from cardio. Your body will actually adapt to Type 1 muscle fibers and increase your endurance if you do too much cardio making you weaker when lifting weights, and visa versa for Type 2. The body will naturally adapt to weight training after a while which may be why your strength is going up.

Sent from my iPhone using EliteFitness app

Could be your cardio is going up and in turn you we able to recover faster between sets to push more.

Also, could be the extra activity and flushing of blood and nutrients as you run could increase speed at which you are recovering.

thanks for that info. the running i generally do isnt distance running, but about 15 minutes of short bursts up 2 extremely steep hills and level ground and then downhill and back around again. i get a great endorphin rush from it and my quads and hamstrings feel amazing, but im limited because ive got a torn acl in my left knee so i can only do so much.

so is it true that getting blood pumping through a particular body part that is tryin to recover will in turn help it recover rather than just trying to sleep and rest as much as possible and avoid using that muscle group? i know this is off subject, but i tend to have ocd when it comes to muscle recovery. if my chest gets extremely sore for example, ill literally not even lift weights period for at least three days and ill try to avoid doing any pushing motions in my day to day life. i get a little over obsessive about muscle recovery if, for example, i lift and that night dont get enough sleep for whatever reason. ill literally not touch a weight for days until i feel ive gotten 8 hours of sleep several nights in a row.

as long as you don't do too much cardio you can get stronger and build mass. but cardio should be reduced significantly if you really want to put on major muscle mass and strength.

but if you want to look fit just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry that the dude next to you is benching 50 pounds more.

cardio burns away fat and muscle, thats a fact. just a matter of balancing both..

more cardio i do, the lower my strength goes. youre new so you can easily increase your cardio and strength together, but as you become an advanced lifter, it becomes a sliding scale

^^^ exactly and vice versa too.

someone who is getting into cardio can increase their cardio while dedicating themselves to weights.. but if you want to be running 18 minute 5K's gonna have to dedicate 5X per week to the running and reduce the weight training which will get in the way.

if you want to be great OP pick one to excell in.. if you want to be 'fit' then just do both and balance them. nothing wrong with looking good, you don't have to be built like a train or run a 5 minute mile.

^^^ exactly and vice versa too.

someone who is getting into cardio can increase their cardio while dedicating themselves to weights.. but if you want to be running 18 minute 5K's gonna have to dedicate 5X per week to the running and reduce the weight training which will get in the way.

if you want to be great OP pick one to excell in.. if you want to be 'fit' then just do both and balance them. nothing wrong with looking good, you don't have to be built like a train or run a 5 minute mile.

Yup. All what your goals are really. Not many can be both built like a train and move like a cheetah.

and there are few athletes like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders that can play both baseball and football and be great at both. just look at Mike Jordan, one of the best bball players ever, but baseball he was a minor leaguer.

sometimes it can get tricky at a young age deciding what sport you want to really dedicate yourself to and it can make a difference between landing a scholarship and having to walk on in college. but as you get older you will notice you can decide to do X for a little while, then switch over to Y. or do both X and Y. there isn't that pressure to have to pick 1 thing

Top Bottom