Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fighting a mountain lion

redguru said:
I wouldn't take a 5.56mm against a BEAR ever. You'd be lucky if the round would penetrate the adipose tissue. Close range with a bear or any wild carnivore for that matter, I'd rather have a sidearm, preferably .45ACP or larger.

bro, 5.56 would be 10 times better than a .45 against a bear. A bear would laugh at you, mag after mag, of .45. THAT would no penetrate the adipose tissue. 5.56 would have a much better change of doing damge if aimed at the skull (.45 might give a grizzly a headache....maybe).

large bear:

handgun: above .44magnum (yes-above). I have read probably 4 stories about bears that were shot and killed with rifles, and 4-5 .44 mag bullets were pulled out of them. Scary shit.

rifle: 7.62x 39 and above.

Also, if you are taking a body shot on a bear, even a direct hit to the heart, expect 1-2 minutes to die. They can live that long iwht no heart.

M lions attack from behind. They sneak up. You WILL be caught off guard. I larger caliber hangun (easily accessed becuase you will be on the ground fumbling for it), or a easily accessible knife with be your best bet.

the thing most people are over looking is the fear fsctor that comes into play in this situation. People can say I would do this or yu could that, but the fact of the matter is you have no idea what you would do. You would be scrad to death b/c you would not be prepared to fight a mountain lion. How many people actually train to fight a mountain lion? None, so in a real life fight a person would be to scard to be able to know what was going on.

casualbb said:
not necessarily... as humans encroach upon cougar habitats they become less afraid.

in orange county a 60-year old man was attacked by a cougar. He fought back with a utility knife, killing the cougar but sustaining serious injuries himself. he then hiked back to civilization while bleeding heavily and got care.

in an ideal world cougars are afraid of human males, but you never know

if I were that oldman I'd keep that utility knife (have it in a plaque) and tell that story EVERY day

Guvna said:
bro, 5.56 would be 10 times better than a .45 against a bear. A bear would laugh at you, mag after mag, of .45. THAT would no penetrate the adipose tissue. 5.56 would have a much better change of doing damge if aimed at the skull (.45 might give a grizzly a headache....maybe).

large bear:

handgun: above .44magnum (yes-above). I have read probably 4 stories about bears that were shot and killed with rifles, and 4-5 .44 mag bullets were pulled out of them. Scary shit.

rifle: 7.62x 39 and above.

Also, if you are taking a body shot on a bear, even a direct hit to the heart, expect 1-2 minutes to die. They can live that long iwht no heart.

dude
a .45 is considerably more stopping power then a 5.56
when the british military considered switching to the 5.56 round the soldiers made many complaints about the lack of stopping power
no one, has EVER complained at a lack of power from a .45
you do realize a 5.56mm is a .223 right?
I heard a story about a Grizzley killed by a .22 but it was basically a miracle shot (the guy hit the bear square in the neck and snaped it's spinal cord, while it was charging him)

Kane Fan said:
dude
a .45 is considerably more stopping power then a 5.56
when the british military considered switching to the 5.56 round the soldiers made many complaints about the lack of stopping power
no one, has EVER complained at a lack of power from a .45
you do realize a 5.56mm is a .223 right?
I heard a story about a Grizzley killed by a .22 but it was basically a miracle shot (the guy hit the bear square in the neck and snaped it's spinal cord, while it was charging him)

I was going to respond to his strange post, but in another thread he started going off about perpetual motion and tesla coils as the answer to our fossil fuels problems.

Top Bottom