Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fighting a mountain lion

If you were with a friend you wouldn't have to outrun the moutain lion ... just your friend.

Seriously, I think Rickson beat a moutain lion once.

redguru said:
I was going to respond to his strange post, but in another thread he started going off about perpetual motion and tesla coils as the answer to our fossil fuels problems.

I think the answer to all our questions is the girl in your avatar
(my appologies if this little hottie is your gf)

NEW!! From Unbelievable Videos!!
Disable a Mountain Lion (in 6 Not-So-Easy Steps)
Wrasslin' Grizzlies
You, Too, Can Beat up Great White Sharks!!!
and our bestseller, GorillaBoxing 101
All tapes are $29.99 + s&h
We guarantee you will NOT be ripped to shreds or killed..OR YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!
Money Back offer not good North or South of the Equator.

Kane Fan said:
dude
a .45 is considerably more stopping power then a 5.56
when the british military considered switching to the 5.56 round the soldiers made many complaints about the lack of stopping power
no one, has EVER complained at a lack of power from a .45
you do realize a 5.56mm is a .223 right?
I heard a story about a Grizzley killed by a .22 but it was basically a miracle shot (the guy hit the bear square in the neck and snaped it's spinal cord, while it was charging him)

Dude, just some basic math here....

Kinetic energy = 1/2 * (mass) * (velocity)^2

A 62 grain, 5.56 mm round traveling at 3025 ft/sec gives you about 1,259 ft-lb of kinetic energy.

A 154 grain, 7.62 mm round traveling at 2104 ft/sec gives you about 1,513 ft-lb of kinetic energy.

A 230 grain, .45 ACP rounf traveling at 850 ft/sec gives you about 369 ft-lb of kinetic energy.

Mind you that these are just calculations based on muzzle velocity of Wolf brand ammunition, but run true regardless of manufacturer. This doesn't even take into account the "spall" of the higher velocity rifle rounds once inside the body's soft tissues, which also causes considerable damage.

Now, I don't know about you, but having been in the military, and having seen first hand the effects of both rifle and handgun rounds on humans, I can say these things:

1. When a person gets hit by a handgun round, they pretty much keep doing what they were doing before you shot them. They don't knock people onto their asses like in the movies, as they simply lack the energy to do so. Multiple center of mass hits are required to put a person down with a handgun, and even with multiple hits by a .45 ACP, the target usually manages to lumber off somewhere to bleed out.

2. When a person gets hit by a rifle round, one hit usually puts them down if it is center of mass, with the exception of the 5.56 mm round. I can tell you from experience that it usually takes two hits to put a person down with the 5.56 mm round. The internal organ damage from the "spall" of a rifle round is usually enough to ensure death without prompt medical facilities.

Now, a bear has considerably higher bone density than a person. So, whereas a handgun round can fracture a human femur, it will not do so to any except the smallest of bones in a bear. Also, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, bears have considerable adipose tissue, which a .45 ACP round will most likely fail to penetrate. The end result, shooting a bear with a handgun will probably just really piss it off, unless you are very lucky.:)

the .45 is twice the size of the 5.56
which is more bleeding
and more overall tissue damage
tho bears (grizzleys at least) do not tend to bleed a great deal from many wounds
so much so that they can be difficult to track from what I have heard
I wouldn't know first hand tho I don't hunt animals

I've heard what you said about the 5.56 taking more then one shot to drop someone
I've never heard anyone complain about a .45 lacking stopping power tho

Mountain Lions usually attack before the person realizes he's being hunted, most of the time with one lunge he'll have killed you. You might not even know what hit you. I'd say the only defence is dont be alone (they usually dont attack a group of people).

If you see him coming at you its gonna be quick so you'd better have a gun and be quick to shoot. I doubt if a knife or martial arts will do any good unless you are extremely lucky.

Saint V said:
:rolleyes: that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard......you think a cougar has never killed anyone big? They ain't scared dude!
Actually there less likely to attack a bigger person, if you make yourself look big you have a better chance of scaring him. Waving arms jumping up and down, yelling ect. I live in Colorado and Mountain Lion attacks happen pretty often I guess.

As for the bullet that would kill large most people have a extreme underestimation of a bullet. .357, .44 and .45s can all kill bears easily. All it takes is a steady hand and a bit of luck.

Nope, talked to someone who's husband was in Alaska and killed a gris with a .357 that had him cornered, in the camp he was staying at. Only had one bullet in his pistol, more then likely he was very lucky but it can be done.

Top Bottom