Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

extreme headache when lifting heavy

ksrcrider

Two years ago I was doing dips, and i decided to hold my breath on the last rep. Yes I know it was a huge mistake. Anyways I got the worst headache of my life, to the point where I thought I was going to pass-out. Needless to say I was pretty scared. Went to the doctor, and got a cat-scan. Nothing came up bad. I wasn't able to life heavy because the headache would come on every time. I quit lifting for sometime, because of it.

I recently started lifting again. Everything was fine, and was able to go heavy with everything. This Thursday I was doing drop sets with bench. I was down to 135lbs and trying to burn out and the headache came on. This time it wasn't as intense as the first one I got two years ago. I took a migraine pill, and after 10 minutes or so it went away. I was able to finish my work out, but was only able to lift light.

My diet is pretty good. I don't really take any supplements. Only thing I take is Pro complex 60 whey protein, and a multivitamin. I drink close to a gallon of water a day. Tho I don't really drink much water while I'm working out. Maybe 24 ounces at the most in a hour work-out. I have a crushed vertebra C-2 and C-3 in my neck. Maybe I'm getting the headache from strained nerves in my neck? Or tension headaches from poor posture.... Tho when I'm doing my bench work out, I don't arch my back or lift my butt in the air.

Is there anyone that has these symptom's, that have gone to the doctor, and got put on some kind of anti inflammatory or high blood pressure medication to block out these types of headaches? If so did it help out?

Just remember for every pill u take for an ailment of some sort will create another side effect itself which in turns lead to another pill and so on. U increase ur strength and energy with proper breathing techniques bro, that is a fact!! Never hold ur breath!!!! Try a stimulant of some sort, caffeine seems to help with headaches, it's often prescribed in a lot people's migraine or tension headache meds. Don't go crazy but buying some NO3 from Cellucor is what I use and a half dose of that may help u. U also need to pound the water while u work out. Dehydration can cause bad headaches as well. A good amount of clean carbs before u train should help as well. Remember this also; u don't have to go super hard or heavy to get a full benefit out of ur workout!! It's all about perfect form, controlled reps and great breathing techniques. If u compromise ur form then ur going to heavy and need to cut it back some....

Just remember for every pill u take for an ailment of some sort will create another side effect itself which in turns lead to another pill and so on. U increase ur strength and energy with proper breathing techniques bro, that is a fact!! Never hold ur breath!!!! Try a stimulant of some sort, caffeine seems to help with headaches, it's often prescribed in a lot people's migraine or tension headache meds. Don't go crazy but buying some NO3 from Cellucor is what I use and a half dose of that may help u. U also need to pound the water while u work out. Dehydration can cause bad headaches as well. A good amount of clean carbs before u train should help as well. Remember this also; u don't have to go super hard or heavy to get a full benefit out of ur workout!! It's all about perfect form, controlled reps and great breathing techniques. If u compromise ur form then ur going to heavy and need to cut it back some....

Thanks for the info. I don't lift heavy unless I'm trying for 1 rep max, and I only do that maybe once a month to see if i have got any gains. I usually train 60% of my max. I'm trying to cut up right now. My form is pretty good too. But I will start drinking a lot more water while I'm lifting. I try and avoid caffeine, because it makes me all jittery. My carbs usually come from veggies,100% wheat bread and protein bars. My proteins from chicken,turkey, and protein shakes.

I get these doing DLs, particularly when I work up to pretty heavy sets. Most of the time, they are caused by your blood pressure escalating to very high levels when you are straining on sets. Same reason you see people get blood shot eyes or nose bleed occasionally. When I do get them, they generally go away within 15 - 30 minutes of leaving the gym with nothing taken to assist.

If your heart is healthy, it isn't really that big a deal I don't think. It also isn't a sign that you have a ticker problem in and of itself. Everyone that I know that trains hard has gotten a splitting headache after a particularly hard set at one time or another. I think it comes with the territory. If you do have any cardio worries, then I would see a doctor again and make sure everything checks out.

When it comes to exercise and migraines, you've got two sides of a coin, says Lawrence Newman, MD, director of the Headache Institute at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York. Exercise can be an effective preventive measure against migraines in some people, he says, but in others, it can actually cause them. "We think migraine sufferers have a heightened neurological system," says Newman.

"They're more apt to develop a migraine when anything is out of the ordinary -- when they get up too early, go to bed too late, skip meals, etc." For that reason, Newman suggests that people prone to migraines establish not only a schedule of eating and sleeping regularly, but also of exercising on a regular basis.

"Once you're exercising, no matter who you are," says Newman, "you're usually taking better care of yourself."

Exercise releases endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, Newman says, which can help lessen the frequency and/or severity of migraines. Almost all forms of exercising are good, from aerobics to yoga to stretching to swimming.

Gain No Pain

What Newman does suggest limiting, however, is strenuous workouts such as heavy weightlifting, which can cause muscle spasms in the upper body. These spasms can bring on headaches.

"Too much stress on the body can induce a migraine," agrees George DeJohn, a Dallas-based fitness consultant and author of Three Minutes to A Strong Mind and a Fit Body.

Before DeJohn sets up an exercise program for clients plagued by migraines, he advises them to see their doctor to determine what kind of migraines they are. "Some are caused by muscle spasms. Some are vascular in nature," says DeJohn. "It's important to know which kind you have so you can plan the most effective workout for your situation."

Since fitness consultants frequently work with their clients' eating regimen, too. DeJohn suggests that those with migraines keep a careful diary for one week of what they eat. "That will help us identify any foods that could be triggering the headache."

Two Headache Types

Exercise can help many people cope with their migraines, but in others it can actually trigger a crippling headache, Newman says. There are, he says, two types of "exertional headaches," one benign, and the other more serious.

"Certain medical conditions can cause severe headaches when exercising, coughing, even having sex," says Newman. "If someone comes in complaining of a sudden headache with exertion, then I suggest an MRI to rule out such conditions as a tumor in the back of the brain or a ruptured aneurysm."

Symptoms that warrant a doctor's attention, Newman advises, are:

The sudden, explosive onset of pain upon exertion.

A headache that gets progressively worse.

Headaches that begin after the age of 50.

Headaches accompanied by numbness and tingling in your arms or legs, weakness on one side of the body, or visual disturbances.

Heart of Matter

Headaches that begin during exercise and then go away might also point to heart disease, a group of New York researchers reported in a 1997 issue of Neurology. Led by Richard Lipton, MD, of the Headache Unit at Montefiore Medical Center in New York, researchers found that in a small group of patients, headaches that began during exercise were the only symptom of heart disease. The headaches disappeared after the patient was treated with drugs, surgery, or a combination of the two.

The report said that although this condition seems to be rare, many doctors -- as well as the general public -- are unaware of the possible link, and therefore may not check for heart disease. "Cardiac headache" should be investigated, reported Lipton, in people whose headaches began after the age of 50 and in those who have risk factors for heart disease, like hypertension, diabetes, smoking, or a family history of heart disease.

Sports Get to Your Head

Once serious conditions are ruled out, your doctor will likely say you have a benign -- meaning not dangerous -- condition frequently called "weightlifter's headache." "These kinds of headaches come on with a bang," Newman says.

"Many people get them every time they exercise and they're characterized by the sudden onset of throbbing pain. Nausea is also a common symptom, although vomiting usually isn't." These benign headaches usually disappear within 30 minutes of stopping the exercise, says Newman.

Other exercise-induced headaches, says Newman, include "swimmer's headache," which many people get from jumping into cold water, and "swim-goggle headaches," caused by goggles that are too tight. Stopping the pain is "very easy," Newman laughs. "Just take the goggles off. You'd be surprised, though, how many people don't think of that." "Footballer's headache," traditionally seen more in England and Europe, will likely be on the rise in the States, says Newman, as soccer becomes increasingly popular.

If you're prone to headaches while exercising, your doctor may prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication such as indomethacin (sold under many brand names), which is used primarily to combat arthritis. Indomethacin, which can be taken either before or during exercise, works on the blood vessels in the body, says Newman, and is thought to also act on nitric oxide -- one of the chemicals that can cause headaches.

Migraine sufferers don't have to give up exercising, Newman says. Just start slowly, he advises, and don't overindulge. "Ten minutes at a time should do it when you're starting out. Increase your time gradually and you should be fine."

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using EliteFitness

Top Bottom