Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you subtract FIBER when calculating carbs?

Gladiola

I don't. I've been going by the nutrition labels (on the frozen bags of plain veggies, oatmeal, plain brown rice) & I think now I've been thus overcalculating my carb intake & also undercalculating my caloric intake. I was already thinking my caloric intake should be increased with my new training.

This means that in order to keep growing, I'm going to have to eat even MORE than I have been. Oh great. :rolleyes: Grrr... sick of stuffing my face! :chomp:

Try and eat more fat, then you won't have to stuff your face so much. You can drop a ridiculous # of tbls of efa's into a shake with 1/4 cup of milk and you won't even taste it. easy way to get 500+ calories in 2 seconds.

Fiber works out to 2 calories I think.

As insoluble fiber cannot be digested at all - I would not count them as carbs

soluble fiber are digested ==> I count them as carbs

Re: How can you tell...

we5happy said:
How do you know what fiber is what? What suger is what? etc...

We

Soluble Fiber Sources:
Gum: Oatmeal and other rolled oat products, dried
beans, psyllium, and barley.
Pectin: Squash, apples, citrus fruits, cauliflower,
green beans, cabbage, dried peas, carrots, strawberries, and
potatoes.

Insoluble Fiber Sources:
Cellulose: Whole wheat flour, unprocessed bran,
cabbage, peas, green beans, wax beans, broccoli, brussels
sprouts, and cucumber (with skin).
Hemicellulose: Bran cereals, whole grains, brussels
sprouts, mustard greens, and beet root.
Lignin: Bran cereals, unprocessed bran, strawberries,
eggplant, pears, green beans, and radishes.

starfish said:
What about corn :p

unfortunately corn has little fiber (but a lot of carbs and a moderate-high GI)

Depending on how viscuous and fermentable the type of fiber digested, it will be taken up by either the lower or upper gastrointestinal tracts where it is used as a laxative, or it will ferment and be used as energy in the form of short chain fatty acids. This will also depend on how much fiber is used in the diet, how much colonic microflora is present, antiobiotics that may be taken, and other components of your diet that are consumed, etc.... The energy contribution from dietary fiber has an assigned value of 1.44 kcal/g for nonstarch carbs and 2.01 kcal/g for resistant starch. This is how much can potentially be absorbed and used/stored. Either way the uptake is so slow from the resistant starches, and in the form of fatty acids from the non starch carbs, that it will not raise insulin or blood glucose levels and therefore does not need to be counted as a carb.

As Anthrax said, corn is theoretically not high in fiber. The GI of the corn will depend on how ripe it is and how it's cooked (or not cooked!). It can range from a GI of 37 to 65 depending on those factors. This puts it in the same league as most whole grains (including rice), and lower than most spuds.

Top Bottom