Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Diet critique please, add weight gainer?

WelderByDay

Hi everyone, if I can get some feedback on my diet I'd really appriciate it. Here it is

Breakfast-5:30am

3 whole eggs scrambled
1/4 cup sprinkle cheese
1 packet instant oatmeal

Work Break-8:45am

MusclePharm Combat protein shake, 1 scoop

Lunch-11:30am

1 chicken breast, little bbq suace for flavor
Med. baked potato(or sweet potato or brown rice)

Pre Workout-2pm

Spend about a half hour slowly sipping a 20oz bottle Power Aid Zero sports drink

Post Work Out-Roughly 4pm

1 scoop ON Whey protein shake mixed in whole milk(or apple juice) with Glutamine and a banana added

Dinner-Roughly 6pm

This meal can vary greatly depending on what the wife and I decide. Theres always a protein of course, chicken, pork, steak ect. The side could be broccoli, sweet potato, asparagus, pasta; at the time I'm writing this she's baking cauliflower.

Summary

So there it is at the moment. I don't currently eat anything before bedtime and would love some suggestions on that apart from a protein shake, my digestive track isn't the best and the 2 I already take through the day are about my limit. I don't think I could handle a 3rd especially so late at night.

I'm considering switching my MusclePharm shake at 8:45am to ON's Pro Gainer for the extra calories and nutrients, thoughts?

I know the heavier carbs at dinner time might not be the best option but please keep in mind its not an everynight thing. I'm never going to compete, just trying to get bigger and stronger. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I'm not a pro, nor do I claim to be a nutrition guru.... But unless your about 5'5 150 pounds that does not seem like very many calories at all! If your trying to add some size and are training hard your going to need a lot more whole food and calories in your diet, forget the gainer shake, in my opinion actually forget shakes all together! Eat every calorie instead! Shakes are handy If your on the move all the time, or need fillers to hit very large numbers of protein calories. Or want to sip something between weights and cardio when getting lean. If your able, you will be much better off getting at least 90-95% of your caloric intake from whole food sources

Post your stats up so some of the more experienced members can give you some advice, include your daily calorie intake and macros as well!

Height
BF%
BMR
TDEE

Hope you get the advice your looking for, happy lifting!

Have full sugar powerade instead and drink one intra work out with creatine, bcaa and eaa. Im big on peri workout nutrition. Then increase meal protions by about 25% and continue to increase until you are growing

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Swoll my basic stats are Age 37, height 6'2 and weight roughly 220lbs. Don't know my bf% but it's def a bit high, I might be 220lbs but most of it is in my belly; I've spent alot of time over the last number of years drinking and eating poorly. I don't get fat evenly throughout my whole body like most people, most all the fat I consume goes to my gut and chest, yah I got a bit of man boob action going on too.

My main goals are to increase strength and muscle mass. I would like to drop my bf% too of course, I'm a pant size 38 and would love to drop to 34 but I don't really foresee me ever having washboard abs and a six pack. What I really want is to just get big lol. Oh and sorry but I don't know what BMR and TDEE mean, and I haven't been counting calories/carbs and protein intake through the day so I can't give that information either.

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Swoll my basic stats are Age 37, height 6'2 and weight roughly 220lbs. Don't know my bf% but it's def a bit high, I might be 220lbs but most of it is in my belly; I've spent alot of time over the last number of years drinking and eating poorly. I don't get fat evenly throughout my whole body like most people, most all the fat I consume goes to my gut and chest, yah I got a bit of man boob action going on too.

My main goals are to increase strength and muscle mass. I would like to drop my bf% too of course, I'm a pant size 38 and would love to drop to 34 but I don't really foresee me ever having washboard abs and a six pack. What I really want is to just get big lol. Oh and sorry but I don't know what BMR and TDEE mean, and I haven't been counting calories/carbs and protein intake through the day so I can't give that information either.

Having known this i would focus of getting lean first and then going back and trying to gains size. Its easier to grow when your lean as youll have better insulin sensitivity

I agree with the above post, dont worry about size at the moment, focus on getting leaner.... Lean meats, eggs, easy on the complex carbs, and lots of vegetables. If your somewhat new to lifting, you may burn fat and build muscle at the same time anyways.

Train heavy, do cardio, eat clean. Get yourself below 15% bodyfat before you even consider trying to gain.... Probably even lower.

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure
(BMR + excercise/activity calories burned in day)

BMR = basal metabolic rate
(Calories burned in a day doing nothing at all)

You use these numbers to set calorie intake based on your goals. Hope that helped a bit.

Ok that sounds pretty good guys thank you both. So now that you know a bit more about me and the advice given to focus more of cutting, how does the diet I laid out above look now? Am I on track? Any tweaks?

Swoll I'm hoping to get a fitbit soon, probly help me figure out those numbers. Thanks for explaining them

It's really hard to help you without knowing your training schedule and how much cardio and your TDEE and what not.

Your breakfast is fine, as long as the oats aren't the sugary flavoured packs. Replace your work break shake with a easy meal (tuna/chicken salad, broccoli rice chicken, whatever is easy to pre make and bring to work). Get rid of the Powerade, get some bcaa's instead. Your chicken and potato or rice meal is fine, your post workout shake is fine, then I recommend eating another food meal as well, try to stay away from pasta of you can.... It will be an ok start, but you will have to make adjustments as you progress.

Ty to stick to these foods in fist size portion sizes at each meal:

Protein: Chicken breast, extra lean beef, turkey breast, bison, any white fish, salmon, eggs, plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese

Carbs: oats (steel cut is best, original quick oats will suffice), rice, sweet potato/yam, banana (only if you need it or enjoy them maybe have one a day)

Fats: avocado, good oils (MCT, olive, coconut etc..), natural peanut butter, the healthy fats in your meats, egg yolks, cheeses (small amounts)

Veggies: any leafy green, any green fibrous, any pepper, carrots, etc...

Ty to use sodium free seasonings instead of sauces to save useless calories

No added sugars

I probably missed a few things there somewhere, but that should give you a decent guideline of where to start

An acceptable weight loss is about 1-2 pounds per week, if you are not loosing at least 1 pound eat less, if you loose more than 2, eat more.... That's the best I can do for you right now.

And one more suggestion go to
iifym.com and use the calculator they have on that site to get a good idea of those numbers (TDEE, calories to lose fat, etc...) it is fairly accurate. Then download my fitness pal app onto your phone and start tracking intake. A good place to start with macro nutrients is 40%/40%/20% protein/carb/fat

Hey Swoll thanks again for the extra advice! I just downloaded the fitness pal app and have started looking at that website, I'm very excited to learn more about the dieting and start tracking everything!

Top Bottom