Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

DEADS on back day or leg day?

wnt2bBeast said:
but there is NO way a heavy set of deads (do 5-10 reps if thats what you prefer) can compare to any other back exercise like lat pulls or cable rows

I don't really feel deads unless I do them last. Too many bodyparts are involved - traps, lats, spine, butt, quads, biceps, forearms, abs. When a BB'er does an exercise we want to hit ONE bodypart at a time and kill it. If I do them last in a back workout I can use my fresh quads, hips and straps to overload my pre-exhausted back.

wnt2bBeast said:
Look at any good puller BB'er or Pl'er they have insanely thick backs
Johnnie Jackson or Mike Ruggiera

and? Nobody is debating whether deads build a thick back, although I certainly could make the argument effectively. Everyone points to Johnnie and Ronnie as having thick backs AND being deadlifters, thereby making the assumption that they have thick backs because they deadlift. Well, they all also train heavy too, so who's to say their thick back isn't simply from training heavy and not deadlifting? I built a pretty good back while rarely regular deadlifting. I've almost exclusively done high rep stiff leg deadlifts.

I'll rephrase my post. You cant do heavy squats and heavy deadlifts in the same workout effectively unless your juiced to the gills, like all the Westside lifters.

i have to agree with DIALTONE on all points made...

for me, deads worked best as the last exercise on back day.,

Dial_tone said:
I don't really feel deads unless I do them last. Too many bodyparts are involved - traps, lats, spine, butt, quads, biceps, forearms, abs. When a BB'er does an exercise we want to hit ONE bodypart at a time and kill it. If I do them last in a back workout I can use my fresh quads, hips and straps to overload my pre-exhausted back.

and? Nobody is debating whether deads build a thick back, although I certainly could make the argument effectively. Everyone points to Johnnie and Ronnie as having thick backs AND being deadlifters, thereby making the assumption that they have thick backs because they deadlift. Well, they all also train heavy too, so who's to say their thick back isn't simply from training heavy and not deadlifting? I built a pretty good back while rarely regular deadlifting. I've almost exclusively done high rep stiff leg deadlifts.

how do i know?
like i said look at any WPO competitior many of them will crush most BB'er from the back..these guys mostly pull and and skip the iso crap that BB'er do yet they have tremendously thick backs..that how i know deads work
youre trying to separate BB'er and PL'er if you read my original post i mentioned that a BB'er shoudl train slightly different but really should hit the deads heavy..i can gurantee if you are doing deads last and "repping out" that your form is turning shitty as you get near the end of your set..thats not a personal attack is just a FACT it happens to me when im tired and it happens to the best pullers

if you cant feeel deads when you do tem first then you arent using a heavy enough weight (that doesnt mean you should be pulling 1 RM) if youre sticking with sets of 8 fine but make it an 8RM otherwise youre missing the point of deadlifting

hangclean said:
I'll rephrase my post. You cant do heavy squats and heavy deadlifts in the same workout effectively unless your juiced to the gills, like all the Westside lifters.

thats a lot of rephrasing LOL
i dont juice and have done heavy pulls after heavy box squats
yes its tiring but also remember pulls come last in a meet

if i just go inot te gym and do deads and work up to a 1RM will i be able to pull the same # in a meet after squatting and arching hard on the bench???

I'm sorry DT, but if you can deadlift more, you'll get more out of them. if you don't "feel" them, then you aren't doing them right, and you're first in line to hurt your back.

gjohnson5 said:
I need to K hit you twice because legs are the most intense day in the gym for me.

it seems masochistic to
1. squats
2. leg presses
3. stiff legs
4. curls and extensions
5. and then try to have a good day deadlifting

Mr. Johnson .... and others ....

Why do Deads at all? And I'm not being stupid or rude. I've just not understood this exercise's value vs. the probability (not possibility) you'll be injuried.

The hips and lower back receive a lot of stimulation from quad work and rows. Light weight hypers really hit the lower back if that is what you want.

And I've done them correctly and heavy last on back day ... and saw no big return ... and done them wrong (it doesn't take much) and spent time laying flat on the floor with my legs up hoping the pain goes away.

Please educate me.

thelion2005 said:
Mr. Johnson .... and others ....

Why do Deads at all? And I'm not being stupid or rude. I've just not understood this exercise's value vs. the probability (not possibility) you'll be injuried.

The hips and lower back receive a lot of stimulation from quad work and rows. Light weight hypers really hit the lower back if that is what you want.

And I've done them correctly and heavy last on back day ... and saw no big return ... and done them wrong (it doesn't take much) and spent time laying flat on the floor with my legs up hoping the pain goes away.

Please educate me.
first learn how to pull BEFORE you put any kinda weight no the bar

yeah you may look wierd with just quarters on the bar but once you learn teh groove and where you should be and get your breathing down then you can add weights

its no more dangerous than bench pressing my friend..9 out of 10 that lay down on a bench dont have a fuggin clue..they think lay down and push te weight up thats all there is to it right? wrong!!!

There's a lot more to a good back than thickness, as far as BB'ing goes...width, detail, separation. I'm doing okay with my method.

Top Bottom