Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bodyweight Percentage Training

Was That Me?

Hi to all...

I'm both a "Newbie" on this site & to training.

Done nothing in the last 10 years, but looking to correct that.

OK.. here we go...

I've heard / seen / read loads of stuff regarding people Bench Pressing their weight & beyond etc.
But despite endless exercise charts etc, very little to do with "What you should be aiming for (proportionately) in lifting terms for the rest of your body."
I appreciate that all physiques are different, but has anyone any advise as to where a Newbie should go for this info?
If I've missed a section on this site, then please redirect me. But, I'm not looking at how much I can lift with any given weight set, more the "what's proportional"!

Thanks.

If you've done nothing in the last 10 years, then you're definately overthinking this.

After 10 years of relative inactivity, I'd just get my ass in the gym for 40 min of weights one day, and 20 min of cardio (increasing over time) the next. First week start LIGHT!!, second week add a bit more and get to a MEDIUM level for a month.

After 10 years use machines or lighter free weights to condition your body again. It will take a month or so but if you fail to do this, likely you're asking for injury. All the young guys on this board are going to call "bull shit, it never happened to me!" but I assume after a decade of inactivity, you're a little older and you DO need this conditioning. It will increase your metabolism and combined with diet it will begin weight loss and improve your physical condition.

When your body starts to feel ready (after a month or so of this) then start increasing your weights to substantial "straining lifts". I would suggest reading the 5X5 training sticky and lots of diet stuff for training.

Really, it's not rocket science. Get some excersise to get into the "groove" then move on to a more "bodybuilding" type of routine (if that's what your after).

I spent a good 6 years out of the gym and turning into a couch tumour before I got back into it. I can tell you with absolute certainty that the first 2 months were critical in getting my joints, cartlidge, connective tissues, and muscles used to the kind of strain I was going to be putting on them. I moved to a 5X5 routine and can now bench over 300lbs (265 for reps). I've been where you are. For the next month or two JUST GET TO THE GYM 6 days a week! OK?

Not only just conditioning your body, but your life too! You will notice that most of the folks on this board will sacrifice a part of their day for the gym/excersise almost no matter what. I will book off work if I have to. Be late for stuff. Whatever it takes! If you make this commitment and let your family know this as well, you'd be surprised how much support you might get. "Sorry I HAVE to go to the gym" should be a phrase to add to your daily vocabulary....get it?

And stop reading those stupid Men's Health magazines. THEY SUCK! They are just red herrings.

One more thing. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

And stay on this board, good info and the folks here are generally quite supportive!

edit: If you are one of those guys who absolutely need a program to follow, then as a beginner routine/program. I'd simply suggest the Body For Life program. It's got some failings and the author is a bit of a hypocrite and a weenie, but just to get you going it's not bad. I will still even cruise on the program for a couple of weeks sometimes just cause it's easy to follow and you need breaks from eye-popping heavy lifting ever few months. Further, I followed it for a while and never recorded a thing (if I have to actually write something on paper in the gym, I'll lose interest - 5X5 is like that for me too - all kept in the huge empty space in my head...lol!)

Last edited:
OK Sounds like good advice.

But... I'm looking long term here, and no disrespect, can only really do 3 days week.. Mon / Weds / Fri (Home front... Trying to build a reasonable Kit).

What "Men's health Magazines"??? Ain't that sad (YET).

I am still missing the part about "Proportional Weight Lifting"... either that, or I've misread griz1's advise. I'm in no rush cos this will be part of my "Daily?" life now... just wanna get it right (I dont care if the results take a year etc).

Thanks for feedback.

3 days for weights is just fine
cardio does not have to be done at the gym

if you dont know what "men's health" is....perfect

i think i understand your question....but to be honest, i dont think their really is a proportional weight lifting
some try to say
"you should bench your weight, squat 1 1/2 times your weight, and dead 2times your weight"
not that important
if you are feeling better and looking better, let that be your guide

It's good to get feedback (and thanks for yours), tho, as a beginner, the site isn't doing me any favours.

I'm not aiming too high (my build won't allow it). But I did expect a little more from those who tread the path.

Firstly, I'm 43 years Old.

I'm 6 ft tall, weigh 13 stone, and have a 'Slim" build.
The only places I continually put weight on are...
1) Facial/Under the chin
2) Belly/ Stomach

Might not sound too mega, but I did that "look in the mirror thing", and thought that's it, that's not me. My belly must account for at least 14-16 lbs.

Life takes it's toll... loved exercise 10 years ago, office stuff is the norm.

I'm willing to share feedback (and nag me if I don't), on my progress.

Weight training started me off in my fitness realm years ago, and, "feels" right now.

I have no intention of becomming the next Mr Universe (Never seen one start at my age)... I'm just asking for some good solid advice.

Has anyone ever researched the "proportionately aspect" of bodybuilding?

Or are too many people locked into the "Build at any cost aspect"?

Regards,,,,

personally who cares what strength level you "should" be..i can show you women powerlifters benching 400+.. trust me once you can bench x weight you want to do x+!!dont get me wrong im glad to see you getting into some kind of routine but it really doesn not matter unless you plan to compete in powerlifting..just put something together that you can stick to before jumping in and lifting 6 days a week because you may burn out

Welcome to the boards brother!! Im not sure what exactly your goals are, since everyones definition of a proportional lift, or body differs greatly. Also by saying "my build wont allow it" you are already setting limits on yourself. I was 105lbs when I started and its taken me close to 10 long and hard years just to get to where I am now. And I still have a LONG way to go. Youll likely see some results in a year, but youll have to be willing to give it alot more time then that. Three days a week is definately better then nothing, but I think 5 would do you alot better. It all comes down to how much youre willing to sacrifice to reach your goals, and also how large your goals are. Someone with 10 inch arms can be proportionate. Keep training hard and eating enough of the right foods and youll see progress. Just be patient and consistent.

Thanks for the advice.. & Building up from 105lbs is impressive.
The 3 days a week is a realistic option for me at the mo... Large family (hence no money) & lots of shift work, and as advised, I don't want to overtrain & burn out.

The eating side of things must have been discussed loads of times, but as a newbie, I'm open to advise. Give me the basics as to what's good + what's not, and I'll build a picture (always eat what I like, so that's gotta change!).

If anyones got a min to give a few pointers on the following, I'd be grateful.....

1) Seen lots of "Top Heavy" BB's lately, so different leg exercises would help.
2) My wrists need strengthening, so ideas please.
3) I'm considering "Cardio" on alternate days to the weights, so a few examples of peoples "Starter" progs?
4) Multi Gyms... I've got a cheap 2nd hand one, but also have a bench & set.. any advise on using either?

Thanks again for the info.

Top Bottom