Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench plateau

liffalot

The Juggernaut, bitch.
Platinum
Recently it seems that everything is getting strong but my flat bench. I've increased greatly over the past three years; came into high school as a freshman benching about 140 lbs 1 rep and now sitting as a senior I'm benching 335 lbs for 1 rep. But it seems lately that my bench press, no matter how hard I work out has been plateauing recently and I'm not able to break 275 lbs for 5 reps.

My squat, cleans, snatches, back excercises, hell even my incline bench and my decline bench are steadily increasing. But for whatever reason the flat becnch is giving me hell and does not want to go past that limit. I want to get to 305 for 5 reps by the end of my track season and I'm not going to get there unless I can start making some headway.

Now its been my speculation that the problem may lie in my arm strength. I've never been too into isolating my arm muscles during a workout, so normally the only workout they get are whatever excercises I do as an auxilliary.

Let me know what you think the problem is and how you think I can bust down that fuckin wall.

Im also on a strict supp regiment of N2KTS, GEAR, Animal M-stak, and either Big blast or a crappy GNC Wheybolic ripoff (yea i know.......but i gotta use up the tub somehow):jenscat

how consistant is your training and diet? if youre not eatine nough to fuel your workout, your strength numbers may lag. with me, i eat the same 6 meals everyday, so i know that if i add a few h undred calories, i will be able to add a little more weight in a few short weeks. but i am simply maintaining my weight at this point.

i never really hit a plateau, i just stopped eating 6500-7500 calories. as long as you feed your body the nutrient it needs, it will grow bigger. if i dont feed you, you will get smaller and weaker. same concept.

if that is all in place, then try doing reps in "the sweet spot" instead of full range all the way down and all the way up just short of lock out, do 1/2 or 3/4 reps to stimulate the muscles, try that for 4 weeks, then go back to full range and i bet your bench will be stronger.

I would tend to think it is a training issue over a diet issue if other exercises are still progressing.

B-

if ur like alot of high school kids...its lack of good training. SYMMETRY!!!! you cant push if ur back cant support. or if ur core is weak. post ur stats. see if ur relation for your core and back.(mostly upper lat and lat delt.)is off and symmetrical then you will not be able to push more weight. your chest will get strong but strangly when u get off the bench ur areas of less tone feel swolen. Notice this and apply proper training to even your tone out. to thus push heavyr weight.

why more weight?

u want power?

looks?

consider the effects on ur joints of push past 300.

dont do it 2 brag. thats for guys will small dicks.

Its not a lack of good training. I make very sure to workout my back and core as well as every other area evenly. It may very well be the diet, I only eat three meals a day, none of which are sizeable. I dont exactly have the means to eat 7500 calories a day though.

as far as my training regiment goes, I am training for strength. Not to show off, I'm an athlete, a shotputter/ discus thrower, and I'm not interested in making friends and impressing ladies. Im in it to fuckin win andget stronger, thats all.

It usually looks something like this for upper body:

MON: Flat Bench heavy 5 reps x 7 sets (last set is a superset of still relatively heavy weight for 10-12 reps). Cable flys heavy 10 reps x 4sets. Clean and jerks heavy 5 reps x 5 sets. Shoulder press med. heavy 5 reps x 5 sets. Core work is done with a medicine ball ranging from 12-20 lbs. Bodyweight reverse pulls.
TUES: Throwing day, no weight training.
WED: Incline Bench heavy 5 reps x 7 sets. Decline DB bench heavy 5 reps x 5 sets. Power snatches heavy 5 reps x 5 sets. Same core work is done. Bodyweight reverse pulls.
THURS: Throwing day, no weight training.
FRI: Rest day.
SAT: Flat bench 12,10,8,6,10 reps x 5 sets. Incline DB bench 10 or 8 reps x 4 sets. Decline bench 12 reps x 4 sets. Bodyweight reverse pulls. Push ups between each set of bench, 25 reps. BB curls 15-20 reps x 4 sets. DB skullcrushers 12 reps x 4 sets. Light core work.
SUN: Rest day.

Thats the basic skeleton of it. Unfortunately on the weekdays there isnt much I can do as far as the routing goes, what coach says goes. but suggestions?

The thing too is that I know I'm putting on muscle. I can see it in my physique and one the scales.

When I stopped doing jiu jitsu for track season I weighed 188 lbs. That was at about the beginning of december.

I hopped on the scale today at 204.3 lbs, so I'm obviously putting on weight and gaining muscle, the weight increase that I would like just isnt there.

Every day is bench day for you!

This one is easy. You are overtraining all the muscles involved in the bench.

Skip some of those bench days, and use the deadlift or squat as your primary exercise.

I'll bet you are very top heavy, and have little legs in comparison to the rest of you.

B-

My legs are massive man. In a full body mirror they make my upper body look small. That was just my upper body workout for those days, all of them include squats, unilateral excercises, step ups, Bulgarian split squats, and overhead squats depending on the day.

Top Bottom