Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any Problems with Low Bodyfat?

I haven't had a period for almost a year..I feel fine and don't miss it a bit! I know it's okay, I've asked. More women are opting not to menstrate with usage of BC pills. And the less you ovulate, the less your chances for ovarian cancer because it cuts down on cell reproduction.

But your hair skin and nails can suffer as well as other internal functions (including hormones) , so make sure you take plenty of fatty acid supplements to allow your body to function properly.

I should add that it can also efect your ability to think properly, and cause "mood" issues, lower sex drive, and such.

I had dieted wrong and was very low on BF for a while a couple yrs ago, and took no fats in. This resulted in feeling like I was going "crazy" half the time, crying spells, frustration and inability to handle normal daily stressors. It wasn't fun. Just realize that you need to provide your body nutrients if you want to make it work hard and optimally for you.

CrazyK, you're right

I just finally had my period recently after a six month hiatus... had to go on estrogen and progesterone, then double dose of estrogen and progesterone, and FINALLY had a period! I was in a total mental haze, very psycho there for a while when I didn't have my period. Now I'm on the BC pill and as soon as I had my period I felt 100x better-- mentally clearer, more sexual, less whiney. I assume that women on the pill who take it and have their periods only every couple of months are probably fine, but from experience, skipping periods for a long time due to a restrictive diet/low body fat alone makes one semi-wacked.

Crazy K, be very careful. Not having periods can cause bone density loss and lead to osteoporosis. It happened to me, I am halfway to the crippling disease but with therapy will halt further degeneration of my skeleton.

I was told by my Dr that it is OK not to have periods - a bone scan carried out by a sports researcher showed significant bone density loss.

If you feel fine but are not having periods, have your bone density checked with a DEXA. If it is normal, then enjoy the freedom. However, just because you're not having a period doesn't mean that you're not ovulating.

If you're using AAS, eating well, lifting heavy and have a low % bodyfat with no period, your bone density will be normal or above normal.

If you are a distance runner or aerobic freak anoretic, living off a salad and bowl of steam a day and have no period, you're in big trouble.

Always make sure you're getting your essential fatty acids in your diet. A little veg and flax seed oil a day will do regardless.

W6

I was training less when I was a runner, I ate well too. It's the lack of estrogen which means your bone turnover rates move towards losing more calcium than you uptake. Weight bearing exercise does help, I did a little strength training with my running plus running itself helped my legs maintain their density, however it's you spine that loses density first.

Her bone density may be OK now but its the long term you have to look towards.

ann said:
I'm not sure FitFossil---but how low is your B/F???

I'm not sure. I had it measured last in Dec 00, and it was 12%. Just about all of it on my lower body. Since then, I've been doing interval sprint training, heavy leg training, eating a cleaner diet every 2-3 hrs, using Adipokinetix fat burner. I'm definitely leaner now (even dropped a pant size), and now have quad, ham, and slight glute definition. I'd guess I'm about 9-10%.

I keep hearing how it's supposed to be impossible to menustrate below 12, but my periods are still on schedule. I feel great and wonder if it's ok to maintain this? For the first time in my life, I'm not ashamed of my legs (I even think they're kinda cool!). Even as a 5'5" 80 pound anorexic, my legs were still fat compared to the rest of me.

I'm wondering if some women lose their periods when they try to lose weight too fast? Not getting enough calories, doing too much cardio, etc so the body goes into shock.

As I said, again, if you're worried about bone density, have a yearly DEXA. If you're not losing density from any region, then don't worry about it.

The issue of estrogen, bone density and menstrual cycles are very complex and vary considerably from subject to subject. There is NO magic number (% bodyfat) at which menstration stops.

I talked to a female bodybuilder recently taking a total of about 450 mg of AAS a week, is at 6% bodyfat and still has a period. Mostly cramping, but still there is a monthly cycle.

There are other women at 25-30% bodyfat with eating disorders that do not have a period.

If you're really worried about bone density, then measure it yearly instead of speculating.

Heavy squats and deadlifts will help maintain spinal bone density. Light weight training is not going to do it.

We did DEXAs on 4 national/pro women bodybuilders. Most didn't have a menstrual cycle for years or only for short periods of time. Bone density in all areas was normal or above normal.

W6

Top Bottom