Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A Newbie Needing Lots of Advice

cc-rider05

Hi Everyone. I was hoping many of you can give me some solid good tips on how to make my mission of bodybuilding a success. Before I began this goal 8 weeks I started reading everything I could on how to build muscle and the correct way to eat to accomplish this from about.com (hugo rivera's advice)

I started out at trying to lose fat. I was 126lbs and 5'1 and it wasn't pretty. I am now since December weigh in 114lbs. I have always heard that before you can start building muscle you have to lose gross fat. So that is what I was doing. Now as of last week this has been my meal regimen:

7am - 3 boiled eggs w/out yoke - 1/2 cup plain oatmeal
10am - myoplex lite nutrition shake - 1/2 tablespoon flaxseed oil
12pm - 4-6 oz chicken breast, green veggies, sometimes small amount brown rice (about 1/2 cup)
3pm - same as 10am - except eat 1/2 cup grits with shake
6pm - same as 12pm but with salmon
8pm - myoplex lite shake only

Workout Routine:

Monday - biceps,chest, and back weight training usually do 2-3 sets of 12 reps
Tues,Thurs,Sat - 30 min elliptical-lunges after cardio, squats, and exercise ball for abs
Wednesday - shoulders & triceps - heaviest weight possible still doing 2-3 sets at 12 reps usually doing 3 different exercises for the muscle group each
Friday - all leg workout day
Sunday - OFF

I invested in Centrum for my multivitamins and I have terrible stubborn lower belly fat that I just can't get to go away since i was 16 and 4 kids later it still hangs around even when i weigh in at 97 lbs. So I bought this stack and am currently using daily.......Lipo-6 from Nutrex (hers), Thyrocuts II from SAN, and Metabolic Thyrolean from Prolab.

Should I not take these as I understand they help for abs? I have a desired goal of having georgeous muscles in my arms, tummy, legs, back and butt. I am seeing a small amount of muscle development in my biceps. Butt is still cellulite-y and I really work them with my lunges and weights and squats w/out weights. Any advice on supplement use would be great and what if any I should change in my daily routines. I do not want to use any steroids and am hoping you can tell me its possible to have beautiful muscles without having to use them. If I left anything out I'm sorry. I feel like I've already written a novel here. Thank you.

cc-rider05 said:
Hi Everyone. I was hoping many of you can give me some solid good tips on how to make my mission of bodybuilding a success. Before I began this goal 8 weeks I started reading everything I could on how to build muscle and the correct way to eat to accomplish this from about.com (hugo rivera's advice)

Cool, I think I have read a few bits on about.com, it does seem fairly sensible.

I started out at trying to lose fat. I was 126lbs and 5'1 and it wasn't pretty. I am now since December weigh in 114lbs. I have always heard that before you can start building muscle you have to lose gross fat. So that is what I was doing. Now as of last week this has been my meal regimen:

Great start, did you track you bodyfat as well or take any measurements?

I would recommend that you do, the scales start to be a poor reflection of progress when bodybuilding.

7am - 3 boiled eggs w/out yoke - 1/2 cup plain oatmeal

10am - myoplex lite nutrition shake - 1/2 tablespoon flaxseed oil I am never a big fan of shakes for meals, unless it is post workout, or sometimes just before bed, real food is always preferable, it has its own thermogenic aspect to it (it takes calories to digest it, and there are so many more things in food we just can't replicate)

12pm - 4-6 oz chicken breast, green veggies, sometimes small amount brown rice (about 1/2 cup)

3pm - same as 10am - except eat 1/2 cup grits with shake

6pm - same as 12pm but with salmon

8pm - myoplex lite shake only

Where are you training in this? So post-workout meal?

What time do you go to bed?

Have you worked out all your calories? How much protein, fat and carbs?

Workout Routine:

Monday - biceps,chest, and back weight training usually do 2-3 sets of 12 reps

Tues,Thurs,Sat - 30 min elliptical-lunges after cardio, squats, and exercise ball for abs (squats may be counterproductive,

Wednesday - shoulders & triceps - heaviest weight possible still doing 2-3
sets at 12 reps usually doing 3 different exercises for the muscle group each

Friday - all leg workout day (so really, you are training legs 4x a week? are you going heavy on legs?)

Sunday - OFF

I invested in Centrum for my multivitamins and I have terrible stubborn lower belly fat that I just can't get to go away since i was 16 and 4 kids later it still hangs around even when i weigh in at 97 lbs. So I bought this stack and am currently using daily.......Lipo-6 from Nutrex (hers), Thyrocuts II from SAN, and Metabolic Thyrolean from Prolab.

That is a lot of fat burners to take all at once, especially the thyroid ones, do they both have gugglosterones in them? Check the caffeine content in all of them, make sure they all don't have them.

Should I not take these as I understand they help for abs?
Diet helps with abs, abs are often the last place that fat goes, too much caffeine can increase cortisol, which in turn increases insulin, results in belly fat.

I have a desired goal of having georgeous muscles in my arms, tummy, legs, back and butt.

Cool, muscle looks fantastic on women, it is what gives you the great shape.

I am seeing a small amount of muscle development in my biceps. Butt is still cellulite-y and I really work them with my lunges and weights and squats w/out weights.

It can take awhile to build muscle, if it was really easy, then everyone would be walking around with that classical physique.

It can be even more difficult for some women, as we don't have the same hormone profile as men (less testosterone). The good news is that it just isn't testosterone that builds muscle.

Any advice on supplement use would be great and what if any I should change in my daily routines.

I am a big fan of creatine, it is one of the few supps that is known to build muscle.
Old standard, creatine mono-hydrate is always the best one to start with

I do not want to use any steroids and am hoping you can tell me its possible to have beautiful muscles without having to use them.

Yes it is. I am a lifetime natural, natural meaning natural bodybuilder = no steroids or pharma fat burners(I even avoid a lot of BBing supplements like fat burners most of the time), and I know of a lot of other women and men who are the same. I have progress pics in my two training journals.

If I left anything out I'm sorry. I feel like I've already written a novel here. Thank you.

I hope I got all of your questions.

What would be useful would be if you broke down your training into what you are doing.

There are two other issues with building muscle

1. You have to train with intensity which could mean pushing really heavy weights, taking less rest between sets, but it means that one is doing more than just going through the motions of moving the weight around.

That does mean pulling horrible faces and grunting, panting etc in the gym :)

2. Consistency, training smart, not over-training and also changing your training as your body will adapt. I will expand on this when I see your training routine.

Oh yes, and HELLO and WELCOME :)

Welcome aboard.

I can't conceive of taking that many fat burners - my body just doesn't tolerate them well at all (taking one with half of the label dosage landed me in the er with heart issues).

Thanks Tatyana for the helpful info.

I have no idea what my calorie intake is at this point. I eat the foods daily I mentioned above. I don't do anything on Sundays with food restrictions or exercise. I did look up my BMR from one of the discussions and it said BMR 1250. I can't find my calipers to measure my current body fat. Its gotten much better since December as I'm down to size 3/4's. I will try to stay off the scale but I think its important to be able to guage whether I'm going way up or down on the scales.
But lets talk about this food thing again. When i have my mid morning, mid afternoon and my 8pm small meal or snack...........I use the protein shakes - 10oz. (rotating between Lean Body by Labrada and Myoplex Lite) as its recommended plus the flaxseed oil. I am so full after that I don't want to think about eating any food. I do force myself to eat the 6 small meals a day. I set my calendar for reminders and my internal clock tells me as well when its time. But I don't want to eat more food with my shakes as my pants start to feel tug and I feel all bloaty from it. As far as the stack of pills. I only planned on using them for a few weeks until the body starts getting use to them. They don't make me jittery or crazy in the head yet, so I'm guessing thats a good sign. I would like to know why creatine is recommended. I have been spending hours on these forums absorbing all the info I can find that has been posted about whats good and what isn't. If I had my rathers, I'd like to not take stimulants or a bunch of other products unless there is absolute proof and documentation that the product helped create harder muscle. I don't want to be stopped up or gas-sy from creatine or all the other stuff out there that works for someone and gases up the other. So if you can tell me of a product you use and why you use it and what results came from it, then I can be swayed a little easier. I seriously feel my appetite is under control. So the stack I'm currently taking is for metabolism for working out and to help burn off my little tummy bulge (i thought anyway).

Are you saying that basically eating clean and taking multivitamins and omega 3 are all that I should have to worry about in order to continue to build muscle? Will I see muscle w/out all the anabolic steroid stuff I see all over this website forums? What about DHEA creams? I think i'm how you say maybe peri peri peri menopausal. heh heh not sure but my hormones sometimes seem whacked out but maybe that was from not eating right.

Below is my work out schedule and each week I change out the different types of muscle group exercise I use to keep the routine changed up. I have a bowflex but I also use dumbbells and a barbell for squats, biceps and triceps. Will the bowflex slow me down? I do better for now not going to a gym since I am a busy mom, working full time and going to school in my off time as well. I am in bed everynight by 9:30pm with my last protein shake and flaxseed oil at 8pm at the latest.

My weekly schedule now has been changed around thanks to you pointing some things out. I was doing lunges everyday that I did my cardio, which was 3 days a week. (maybe too much) Now here is my weekly schedule:

Mon. -5pm (40mins) arms, chest
2 x 12 / then a 2nd exercise of each muscle group of 1 set of 12

Tues. - cardio 20 min at 4:40am before breakfast
ab work in the evening at 5pm using exercise ball

Wed. - 5pm (40mins) Shoulders and back- same type of reps as on mondays (heaviest weight with one extra exercise for each muscle group worked as another set of 12)

Thursday & Saturday same as Tuesday - elliptical for 20mins and ab work in the evenings

Friday - 5pm (40 mins)leg extensions, hip extensions, squats now with weights and lunges with weights.

Alright so let me know what I left out this time! :) My books and questions just keep getting longer.

fitness-rubber said:
Welcome aboard.

I can't conceive of taking that many fat burners - my body just doesn't tolerate them well at all (taking one with half of the label dosage landed me in the er with heart issues).
wow.

cc-rider05 said:

I have no idea what my calorie intake is at this point. I eat the foods daily I mentioned above.

Ok, your diet is what a lot of comp BBers would eat, but without doing the whole weighing and calculating the calories, protein, fat and carbs, really, you are flying a bit blind.

I do think it is important to know the reality of the situation.

It really sucks sometimes to have to do it, but it works.

I don't do anything on Sundays with food restrictions or exercise. I did look up my BMR from one of the discussions and it said BMR 1250. I can't find my calipers to measure my current body fat. Its gotten much better since December as I'm down to size 3/4's. I will try to stay off the scale but I think its important to be able to guage whether I'm going way up or down on the scales.

Whatever works for you to track your progress. I use scales, calipers, progress pics, how my clothing fits and bodymeasurements.

Going on 'perception' or feelings can be really mis-leading. I think some people are better at it than others though.

But lets talk about this food thing again. When i have my mid morning, mid afternoon and my 8pm small meal or snack...........I use the protein shakes - 10oz. (rotating between Lean Body by Labrada and Myoplex Lite) as its recommended plus the flaxseed oil. I am so full after that I don't want to think about eating any food. I do force myself to eat the 6 small meals a day. I set my calendar for reminders and my internal clock tells me as well when its time. But I don't want to eat more food with my shakes as my pants start to feel tug and I feel all bloaty from it.

It would be eating food instead of shakes. Shakes are great in emergencies, post workout, or just before bed, but I find food often gives me better results.

You could try a week with more food less shakes and see how you feel, if you are getting better results and judge for yourself.

As far as the stack of pills. I only planned on using them for a few weeks until the body starts getting use to them. They don't make me jittery or crazy in the head yet, so I'm guessing thats a good sign. I would like to know why creatine is recommended.

I think creatine is freaking awesome. It is probably one of the most studied supplements, and it is KNOWN to work. Not only does it promote muscle growth, but mental ability and immune function.

Some people do not respond to it, but the old fashioned bog standard creatine monohydrate is probably the best one to start out with.

Just make sure it is micronised, and in the US, I think you need to look for 'creapure' to ensure it is the higher quality stuff from Germany.

I have been spending hours on these forums absorbing all the info I can find that has been posted about whats good and what isn't. If I had my rathers, I'd like to not take stimulants or a bunch of other products unless there is absolute proof and documentation that the product helped create harder muscle. I don't want to be stopped up or gas-sy from creatine or all the other stuff out there that works for someone and gases up the other. So if you can tell me of a product you use and why you use it and what results came from it, then I can be swayed a little easier. I seriously feel my appetite is under control. So the stack I'm currently taking is for metabolism for working out and to help burn off my little tummy bulge (i thought anyway).

Are you saying that basically eating clean and taking multivitamins and omega 3 are all that I should have to worry about in order to continue to build muscle? Will I see muscle w/out all the anabolic steroid stuff I see all over this website forums? What about DHEA creams? I think i'm how you say maybe peri peri peri menopausal. heh heh not sure but my hormones sometimes seem whacked out but maybe that was from not eating right.

Yes. I am a lifetime natural. I have completely transformed my body just through diet and training.

I use creatine, glutamine, whey protein, multi-vits and sometimes some amino acids, sometimes a few of them separately, like leucine and arginine.

How long have you been training? Using steroids is a personal choice, but usually it is recommended that people have a few years of training under their belt. A lot of research is required, especially with women.

Below is my work out schedule and each week I change out the different types of muscle group exercise I use to keep the routine changed up. I have a bowflex but I also use dumbbells and a barbell for squats, biceps and triceps. Will the bowflex slow me down?

I don't know a huge amount about bowflex, but if you train with intensity, you will get results.

I do better for now not going to a gym since I am a busy mom, working full time and going to school in my off time as well. I am in bed everynight by 9:30pm with my last protein shake and flaxseed oil at 8pm at the latest.

My weekly schedule now has been changed around thanks to you pointing some things out. I was doing lunges everyday that I did my cardio, which was 3 days a week. (maybe too much) Now here is my weekly schedule:

Wed. - 5pm (40mins) Shoulders and back- same type of reps as on mondays (heaviest weight with one extra exercise for each muscle group worked as another set of 12)

Thursday & Saturday same as Tuesday - elliptical for 20mins and ab work in the evenings

Friday - 5pm (40 mins)leg extensions, hip extensions, squats now with weights and lunges with weights.

Alright so let me know what I left out this time! :) My books and questions just keep getting longer.

There is room for improvement with your training.

I found that sorting out my diet was FAR easier than figuring out what type of training worked best for me.

When you are training, are you going to failure?

High rep/lower weight training does have its place, but every now and then you have to go HEAVY, reps in the 6-10 range.

I think this is the most difficult thing to get with BBing, the level of intensity you need to train with, and the whole mind-muscle connection.

If you want more help with your training, would you lay it out in a very specific manner.

Check my training journal and link to the P/RR/S routine I was doing.

There are also some excellent articles in the sticky at the top, links to the top threads.

I bumped two the other day, about building a great butt and how women should train.

cc-rider05 said:

I have no idea what my calorie intake is at this point. I eat the foods daily I mentioned above. I don't do anything on Sundays with food restrictions or exercise. I did look up my BMR from one of the discussions and it said BMR 1250. I can't find my calipers to measure my current body fat. Its gotten much better since December as I'm down to size 3/4's. I will try to stay off the scale but I think its important to be able to guage whether I'm going way up or down on the scales.
But lets talk about this food thing again. When i have my mid morning, mid afternoon and my 8pm small meal or snack...........I use the protein shakes - 10oz. (rotating between Lean Body by Labrada and Myoplex Lite) as its recommended plus the flaxseed oil. I am so full after that I don't want to think about eating any food. I do force myself to eat the 6 small meals a day. I set my calendar for reminders and my internal clock tells me as well when its time. But I don't want to eat more food with my shakes as my pants start to feel tug and I feel all bloaty from it. As far as the stack of pills. I only planned on using them for a few weeks until the body starts getting use to them. They don't make me jittery or crazy in the head yet, so I'm guessing thats a good sign. I would like to know why creatine is recommended. I have been spending hours on these forums absorbing all the info I can find that has been posted about whats good and what isn't. If I had my rathers, I'd like to not take stimulants or a bunch of other products unless there is absolute proof and documentation that the product helped create harder muscle. I don't want to be stopped up or gas-sy from creatine or all the other stuff out there that works for someone and gases up the other. So if you can tell me of a product you use and why you use it and what results came from it, then I can be swayed a little easier. I seriously feel my appetite is under control. So the stack I'm currently taking is for metabolism for working out and to help burn off my little tummy bulge (i thought anyway).

Below is my work out schedule and each week I change out the different types of muscle group exercise I use to keep the routine changed up. I have a bowflex but I also use dumbbells and a barbell for squats, biceps and triceps. Will the bowflex slow me down? I do better for now not going to a gym since I am a busy mom, working full time and going to school in my off time as well. I am in bed everynight by 9:30pm with my last protein shake and flaxseed oil at 8pm at the latest.

I think you're doing great! I would however, work on one small muscle and one large, as opposed to two large, i.e., chest and triceps; back and biceps; legs and shoulders or separate the two.

If you are peri-menapouse DHEA will be helpful. I do take it, but is prescrived by a hormones dr. It makes a great difference.

Thandie

Reactions: bw1
Ok - I'm sure I'm probably not getting enough calories a day. At least for protein I was good with all the shakes and 1 gram of protein per pound body weight. Now instead I will eat grits or oatmeal for my mid morning, mid afternoon and night meal with some almonds or macadamia nuts so i can hopefully get my required protein now.

About the whey protein. I have a large bottle of that. When should I use it? It actually taste like crap, but if it will help bulk me, then I will get over that. Also I am going to head to nutrition depot to find some creatine monohydrate. Tell me how much I should use and how often. Is it a trial and error thing to play by ear depending on how it affects me? Is there a point when our bodies should rest from any of it?

I get what your saying about lifting heavy with lower reps. I thought my vein popping out the said of my head was sign enough that I was lifting heavy, but I guess i'll go for 2 veins now.

I am now in my 10th week of weight training/cardio 6 days a week and I haven't missed a beat. I can tell so I'm guessing in another 10 weeks I ought to have a ripping tight ass! heh or so my hubby hopes i'm sure. My reasons for even doing this are simple: I have always been conscious of my weight and taking care of myself but not smart about it. Now i'm 43 and I'm married to a younger guy who does not need to see my body go soft and disgusting looking until I can at least see a beer gut or something on him. I was on the Body for Life Program about 3 years ago and it worked wonders for me but the second you start slipping into old bad habits then it comes back 10 fold. That is what has happened to me. I can't stand the thought of someone seeing me look disgusting our out of shape. And I have ALWAYS loved how muscle looks on a woman so there it is..........my reason and my goal. I want to be a hot ass 75 year old woman in a bikini! ha ha I'm sure some of you died on that remark. There is no reason why I shouldn't care for this shell I've been givin while I'm down here on earth. I could think of much worse things to get addicted to. But the feeling I get when I look good in a pair of jeans or shorts and on the beach is like no other feeling. So I'm in for the long haul.

Thank you guys for all the advice you've given me and I will use it. :artist:

cc-rider05 said:
Ok - I'm sure I'm probably not getting enough calories a day. At least for protein I was good with all the shakes and 1 gram of protein per pound body weight. Now instead I will eat grits or oatmeal for my mid morning, mid afternoon and night meal with some almonds or macadamia nuts so i can hopefully get my required protein now.

About the whey protein. I have a large bottle of that. When should I use it? It actually taste like crap, but if it will help bulk me, then I will get over that. Also I am going to head to nutrition depot to find some creatine monohydrate. Tell me how much I should use and how often. Is it a trial and error thing to play by ear depending on how it affects me? Is there a point when our bodies should rest from any of it?

I get what your saying about lifting heavy with lower reps. I thought my vein popping out the said of my head was sign enough that I was lifting heavy, but I guess i'll go for 2 veins now.

I am now in my 10th week of weight training/cardio 6 days a week and I haven't missed a beat. I can tell so I'm guessing in another 10 weeks I ought to have a ripping tight ass! heh or so my hubby hopes i'm sure. My reasons for even doing this are simple: I have always been conscious of my weight and taking care of myself but not smart about it. Now i'm 43 and I'm married to a younger guy who does not need to see my body go soft and disgusting looking until I can at least see a beer gut or something on him. I was on the Body for Life Program about 3 years ago and it worked wonders for me but the second you start slipping into old bad habits then it comes back 10 fold. That is what has happened to me. I can't stand the thought of someone seeing me look disgusting our out of shape. And I have ALWAYS loved how muscle looks on a woman so there it is..........my reason and my goal. I want to be a hot ass 75 year old woman in a bikini! ha ha I'm sure some of you died on that remark. There is no reason why I shouldn't care for this shell I've been givin while I'm down here on earth. I could think of much worse things to get addicted to. But the feeling I get when I look good in a pair of jeans or shorts and on the beach is like no other feeling. So I'm in for the long haul.

Thank you guys for all the advice you've given me and I will use it. :artist:

As far as protein is concern, 1lb of protein per 1lb of body weight if you want to maintein. If you want to build muscles, is 1.5lb to 2lbs of protein per body weight.

I'm with you about looking hot even at 75. Tha'ts why I work so hard. I will continue to train hard and eat clean till I can no more...:qt:
You sound like I did when I started. Very funny..

Ok so I think I get it now. REally until I get rid of all my bf will I be able to even see a muscle. If I'm at 21% bf and I eat clean and continue to work out with cardio 3x a week and weights 3x a week, I will see perhaps a change in clothing fitting right?
I know you guys said don't do this but I stepped on the scale since I started adding the shakes of protein in for mid snacks and I gained 3 lbs. You know I see the word hardgainer all over the discussion forum, but what I am is opposite and that is an easy gainer.
So I'm going to readjust and eat like this:

Breakfast:
7am 4-9 boiled eggs with no yokes
1/2 c oats and water

10am - almonds (how many do you suggest? 10-20?)
- flaxseed oil

Lunch
12pm - veggies, chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup oatmeal

Mid day same as 10am

Dinner same as lunch

Thats about all I can handle eating a day. Is anyone else freaking short on here like me and an old 43 year female who looks at food from a distance and wears it on her waistline that quick? I seriously don't eat junk. Hopefully this adjustment will work........if not I will tweak some more.

I am so looking forward to my leg work day on friday. I am excited about my new barbell and doing squats and deadlifts. This week my upper body has been feeling the pain from the heavy lifting. A good sign.

Top Bottom