Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Slow Digesting Protein...

Bullit

Colon Cowboy
Platinum
So I know whey is very fast to digest... and milk protein is slower. But what are the SLOWEST to digest? Real meat? How is Tuna/salmon/shrimp and crab? Would these make a better post-bedtime meal?

Better than what?

I think casein is the slowest as far as absorption is concerned....but you can add some fat to any kind of protein to slow down digestion...

I'm curious about the meat issue myself....although I would rather have a quick shake before bed than a chicken breast or piece of steak...

better than whey. "Better" in the sense that it will not be absorbed so fast.

Im thinking of having a 120g tin of crab before bed.. around 9:30 or 10:00.

Bullit...
A good slow acting protein is no (salt added) cottage cheese. To improve the taste you can add sugar-free pudding to it. It keep you anabolic for a while during your sleep and it's cheap.

asone.......

where can you find cottage cheese with no salt added
here on campus all i can get is those little packets of low fat, i can't even find fat-free around here

bigmanosu

cottage cheese cheap??
yikes over here (in holland) cottage cheese is expensive :-( we cant even get the no fat variety. Only go's to show holland isnt heaven :p

cottage cheese (casein protein) is the slowest to digest, but you can add efa's to any thing to slow down digestion. Especially at bed time! bigmanosu what osu are you at??? I'm a big osu fan (OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY)

I think you would slow down protein digestion if you mix it with fats and carbs

i read somewhere that the meal you eat, how fast it gets absorbed depends on how much fat and fiber is contained in the meal. Fat and Fiber will slow down absorption of everything, even your protein shakes. Regular meat doesn't have a high GI, but if you eat it w/ a bunch of simple carbs it will be absorbed much faster than if you would eat it w/ brocolli, lettuce etc. Point being it depends on what you eat your meal w/. We as bodybuilders want to maintain that anabolic state as long as possible, and if dieting want to maintain it on the fewest number of calories. So many diets i've seen that incorporate carbs and fats into the program will eat the obvious high protein, w/ carbs coming only from vegetables, and for fat a tablesppoon of flax, or extra virgin olive oil. This will slow down absorption time.
hope that helps

Top Bottom