Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Rest?

Cutiebolic

High End Bro
Platinum
Hey Guys!

I originally posted this for the ladies but it's mighty quiet in there lately so thought I'd open it up as it's not a woman-specific q. I am finally training for my first figure competition and am about 20 wks out.

My question for all of you highly knowledgeable peops is this... I can't seem to get myself to take a day entirely off. I know the potential drawbacks of over-training, but if I'm running my split like I outlined below (with the cardio and lifts staggered) am I really over-training? How important is a day totally off? I guess I know the textbook answer and the science behind it, but I'm curious to hear people's experience with it -- how different things have worked for you.... Have you tried it both ways and one works better? I just hate how a day of rest f's up my momentum!

Thanks!
CB

PS open to critiques of schedule too

Stats:
5'5" 140
cutting to high 120's (I think) for show but will see how it looks (have gained some good muscle over the past 18 months or so that I didn't have the last time I was 125-130)
estimating about 18% bf right now
Age 32, training since 18

Training Split:
1. legs with quad focus
very light cardio (just for warm-up), plus a late day walk for fun
2. back and core
cardio 30-40 mins (always with some intervals)
3. bis and calves
sprint workout/HIIT
4. legs with glute focus
same as leg day above... very light cardio
5. shoulders
cardio 30-40 mins (some intervals for fun)
6. tris and core
sprint workout/HIIT
7. no lift
longer cardio (30-60 minutes... varies)

Cardio is usually AM, weights in PM

havign seperate days for ur biceps and tricep is unnessecary

herss how i think you should do it

day 1:legs, glute focus

day 2:rest

day 3:back, core

day 4: legs quad focus, calves

day 5:rest

day 6: triceps, biceps, shoulders, core

day 7: no lift but long cardio session

REAsons for the split

shoulders and arms are put together coz there a small muscle group, therefore the not very taxing on the CNS of the body and can easily be combined to eb trained together

there is a rest day between back and legs becoz THIS is where you need it, they are the biggest muscle groups n hardest on the CNS wen trained, therefore should have rest between them, back training also often requires the lower back and glutes, therefore should be slpit away from ur legs

i put calves quad day becoz often training calves requires the quadriceps, therefore putting them on quad day allows for the most recovery time for ur quads

i didnt put cardio in, its entirely up to you how much cardio you decide to do as u know ur body best wen it comes to this im sure

Thanks, TB!!!

I think the reason I separated bis and tris is because I really need to "bring up" my arms. I paired bis with calves and HIIT to keep the GH pumping and promote growth and tris with core for the same reason.

I'm interested, though, in this training split, for sure... how many sets/different exercises would you recommend for each group on the shoulder and arm day?

Abrigado,
CB

not many peeps post in here.. you might want to post in the weightlifting forum.

good advice by bloke

the split i use currently is

1. pushing
2. pulling
3. legs

cardio is thrown in here and there.

this way you cover all bases

workouts range from 60-80 minutes

this is really helpful, guys...

i always thought the more days you split things up into the more you could focus on that one particular body part and the more fully you could develop it

i'm definitely willing to try something different. you have used this approach for show prep?

no I do not do shows.. click on my profile, that is what I currently look like. I am a gym rat chasing other guys at the gym who are bigger and stronger. I've passed many in the past couple years and I still have more to catch.

btw I am gifting you a plat membership for a week. so enjoy

Thanks for both of your posts and thanks for the platinum, Steve!

What do you guys think of the Starr 5 x 5?

Top Bottom