Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Corn anabolic or good bulking food?

EdwinBoyette

I am still trying to chase down some studies, but from of something the things I've been reading it looks like corn has a little of a few things that might be part of a good diet. Some arginine, and it may inhibit some of the proteases that break down proteins. Maybe anti-catabolic rather than anabolic?

Think about corn....it is surely something to stay away from on a diet. Contrary to common belief, corn is a grain, not a vegetable, and is definitely not fit as a dietary staple and mainstay, primarily because it contains high amounts of sugar.

Think HFCS. Not good.

I've heard the rap against corn also, but sometimes I'm not so sure: it arrives as a whole grain- none of the refining that goes on with wheat, etc. takes place. This means that in addition to the usual usefull nutrients, corn is full of phytochemicalsl micronutrients that act synergistically to significantly raise anti-oxident activity. Corn is thus much higher than even fruits and vegetables in lowering anti-cancer activity, has a high amount of pantothenic acid (for lowering stress), folate (healthy red-blood cells), and a high amount of a specific type of fiber that has shown to stabilize blood sugar levels, turning the sugars you take in into usefull slow burning energy. I'm not the definitive expert, but I believe that if you're reasonably healthy, then the sugars you assimilate won't be a problem- and to people like us that fine-tune our fuel-burning capabilities not at all. Remeber that corn sugars=dextrose. I'm not saying corn is the bomb, but don't think you're necessarily getting the bad with the good.

fortunatesun said:
I've heard the rap against corn also, but sometimes I'm not so sure: it arrives as a whole grain- none of the refining that goes on with wheat, etc. takes place. This means that in addition to the usual usefull nutrients, corn is full of phytochemicalsl micronutrients that act synergistically to significantly raise anti-oxident activity. Corn is thus much higher than even fruits and vegetables in lowering anti-cancer activity, has a high amount of pantothenic acid (for lowering stress), folate (healthy red-blood cells), and a high amount of a specific type of fiber that has shown to stabilize blood sugar levels, turning the sugars you take in into usefull slow burning energy. I'm not the definitive expert, but I believe that if you're reasonably healthy, then the sugars you assimilate won't be a problem- and to people like us that fine-tune our fuel-burning capabilities not at all. Remeber that corn sugars=dextrose. I'm not saying corn is the bomb, but don't think you're necessarily getting the bad with the good.

This is an intelligent post. Excellent points.

A couple problems arise as to intake of corn. For folks that are very concious of their diet, like us, they limit portion sizes to sensible amounts.

The uneducated eater, and I know we have all seen hundreds of them, absolutely love corn, and how many times have you seen them sit down and eat helping after helping of corn?

An indication of this is cattle. Researchers have found that corn-fed beef is higher in saturated fats than grass-fed beef.

Grains break down to sugar very rapidly and increase your insulin output.

I think a bit of corn now and again in regulated portion sizes will be fine.

My first post I should have elaborated a bit more, but I was gearing toward the concious dieter. Even moreso contest prep.

If the corn is fresh, it does indeed contain antioxidant and phytochemicals.

Top Bottom