Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mechanical question regarding Mustangs

Delinquent

My fiance' has a 93 1/2 convo mustang 5.0. She was told today that her water pump is leaking severely and her passenger tie rod is almost completely loose. Now these are pretty severe problems so we need to get them fixed asap. Only prob is they wanna charge us $545 to do it and we just don't have that kind of money right now. How hard would it be for myself who I consider an intermediate when it comes to working on cars and my fiance's brother in law who's pretty advanced to do a project like this? I'm sure it'll be a lot less expensive but is the work hard enough to warrant paying that?

Well if you were a real intermediate you would know the answer to that question. Doing the work you described is real beginner crap. A water pump is very easy to replace. Just drain the cooling system, remove all the acessory belts and unbolt then pump. Apply gasketmaker or use a gasket and bolt up the new pump, reapply all belts and refill system with coolant and distilled water. Cake.

Tie rod is as easy as it gets.

The whole thing should take one person about 2-3 hours.

hey i'm an auto mechanic, it wont be to bad of a job as long as you have the right tools. the water pump wont be bad at all just be sure to bleed all the air out of the coolant system so the car dosnt overheat. and also clean all the gasket material. double gaskets leak very quickly. the tie rod end is it the inner or outer, if it is the outer its a very simple job. you just loosen the nut then use a tie rod end seperator to pop the joint loose. there are other way to get the joint loose but that is the safest if you are inexpierienced. be sure to count the threads or mark the tie rod so you dont have to get an alignment done. as long as the steering wheel is strait now then counting the threads or marking will keep it strait. if it is the inner tie rod end it is a little harder and you need special tools. more than likely its the outer so i will stick to that. the water pump should be just 4 bolts and a couple hoeses no problem. you can do it all in a half a day to a day depends on the people. just hit me up if u need more info. :fro:

I guess my definition of intermediate is different then. I've never done either so I guess I'm a beginner. I thought the water pump was a bolt on part but my fiance' kept saying something about having to take the entire front of the engine apart so she threw me for a loop. Anyways, my fiance's brother in law said he didn't have the tools for the tie rod but can replace the water pump. So I guess we'll have to pay to have the tie rod done. Thanks for the responses

hey if its an outer tie rod end and you are replacing it you can use a hammer to get it out. but you can rent tool from many auto part stores no problem. you just have to be careful with hammer not to hurt the steering knuckle. but if you dont know what your ding better to be safe than sorry imo.:fro:

The Ford 302 is one of easiest engines in the world to work on. That is why the aftermarket has taken off so fast for the 5.0
It shouldn't be that hard if you have the right tools. The water pump is a bolt on part.

Top Bottom