Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

protein dose for senior

ms build mo

I was wondering what could be the dose of protein powder for a 55 year old guy who is looking to retain some muscle mass (my dad), he has been loosing muscle mass faster than usual, he wants to train and do light weights to see is he can growth or at least keep his mass, thank you.

Protein supplements are GREAT for seniors to take. The two best preventative measures you can take to prevent loosing muscle with age are:
1. A high protein diet (1g per pound of body weight)
2. Resistance training with weight.

Literally hundreds of studies have shown that supplementing a seniors diet with whey protein prevented muscle loss and functional ability as they aged. I would start your dad off with 1 scoop per day and then increase it 2 scoops per day once he gets comfortable using the supplement

Protein dosages are calculated based on body-weight, not age. So follow @muskate's suggestion regarding the dosage, and get your dad to do some kind of resistance training. It does not have to be hardcore, but something that will make him move.

muscle wasting is common at that age. i would say that protein powder is not the answer here at all. has your dad had his test levels checked? i would say do that and then consider TRT

To both the OP and Steve... lord help me if 55 makes me a senior cos I'm 53. So in 2 years I've got that to look forward to... or I can go to the gym and keep my muscle.

^^^^^Exactly what I was thinking. 55 isn't that old at all. Definitely have him get some blood work to see if there is anything going on. If that all checks out then a high protein diet with some weight training sounds like a great plan.

Top Bottom